Closing Threads on Physics Forums - Steven's Inquiry

In summary, the OP asked the moderator to close their own thread, but the thread has many good answers and feedbacks.
Stephanus
Dear staff,
I just read an interesting thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/can-you-check-my-equation.827896/
The thread was created yesterday 16 August 2015. But now, 17 August 2015 is already closed.
I see no offending content, no protest of the mentors, but it's closed anyway.
Can the OP ask the moderator to close it's own thread?
Yesterday, I created a thread. Because of some mistake I hastily reported it to the moderator to be deleted. Thanks.
What if I have a thread, and there are many good answers (and feedbacks and questions), can the OP ask the moderator to delete that thread?
Can the OP cask the moderator to close that thread?
Nothing emergency, just out of curiousity. I want to know how PF works.
Nice forum!

ThanksSteven

Physics news on Phys.org
There's some typo, I already edit it.
Stephanus said:
Dear staff,
I just read an interesting thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/can-you-check-my-equation.827896/
The thread was created yesterday 16 August 2015. But now, 17 August 2015 is already closed.
I see no offending content, no protest of the mentors, but it's closed anyway.
Can the OP ask the moderator to close it's own thread?
Yesterday, I created a thread. Because of some mistake I hastily reported it to the moderator to be deleted. Thanks.
What if I have a thread, and there are many good answers (and feedbacks and questions), can the OP ask the moderator to delete that thread?
Can the OP cask the moderator to close that thread?
Nothing emergency, just out of curiousity. I want to know how PF works.
Nice forum!

ThanksSteven

The equation is a personal speculation, we don't allow the discussion of those. I also wrote this in the last post in the thread.

I should have read the last post carefully.
So what about my other question.
Can I ask the moderator to delete my thread, but the thread already has many answers/questions?
Or can I ask the moderator to close my thread which alread has many responses?
Not that I want to do that, just curious.

We normally don't delete threads with replies.
Closing them is possible on request.

Ok, thanks.

Stephanus said:
Can I ask the moderator to delete my thread

I wouldn't count on it, buddy, once you hit that send button, it's all fair game...Like rolling the dice :wink:

Alea iacta est

I mean delete the entire thread. Not just single post. But I have already have the answer.

Stephanus said:
I mean delete the entire thread. Not just single post. But I have already have the answer.
OK... :oldsmile:

1. What is the purpose of closing a thread on Physics Forums?

The purpose of closing a thread on Physics Forums is to prevent further discussion on a specific topic and maintain the organization of the forum. Closing a thread also helps moderators and users keep track of active and inactive discussions.

2. Who has the authority to close a thread on Physics Forums?

Moderators and administrators have the authority to close a thread on Physics Forums. They are responsible for enforcing the forum rules and ensuring that discussions remain respectful and on-topic.

3. What are the common reasons for closing a thread on Physics Forums?

The most common reasons for closing a thread on Physics Forums include: violation of forum rules, duplicate threads, off-topic discussions, and resolved questions. Closing a thread also helps to prevent spam and maintain the quality of discussions on the forum.

4. Can a closed thread be reopened on Physics Forums?

Yes, a closed thread can be reopened on Physics Forums. Users can request to have their thread reopened by contacting a moderator or by using the "Report" button on the closed thread. However, moderators have the final decision on whether to reopen a thread or not.

5. Is there a limit to how many threads can be closed on Physics Forums?

There is no limit to how many threads can be closed on Physics Forums. However, moderators may limit the number of closed threads by enforcing stricter forum rules or implementing stricter moderation policies.