Education Forum Split - Feedback Requested

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the Education forums are looking for feedback on a possible change to the sub forum structure. There is a possibility of a new sub forum being created called "School, Universities, Programs and Courses." Another idea is to create a forum for Education Planning. However, none of these ideas have been promised and are only suggestions at this point.
Greg Bernhardt said:
For one thing "Open Practice Problems" will be retired.
:frown:
Are the unanswered problems just going to go back to their respective subfora? I still enjoy playing around with them when I have a spare moment (increasingly scarce though they may be).

Physics news on Phys.org
TeethWhitener said:
Are the unanswered problems just going to go back to their respective subfora?
Yes and you can always find them by sorting the reply column. We certainly still welcome and encourage their answering.

I feel this way:
StatGuy2000 said:
I personally feel that there is no need to split the Academic Guidance forum. I would argue that we should keep Academic Guidance as is, but just remove the Open Practice Problems.

Likes fresh_42 and jim hardy
Greg Bernhardt said:
The former is questions about specific schools/admissions and specific courses school's provide and the latter is for questions regarding various exams and testing taking advice/tips etc.
The issue that's likely to arise with this proposed split is confusion over where threads on entrance exams (such as SAT's and GRE's) should go, since they are exams that are used for admissions.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Regional separation is not really attainable in our setup because you can't have multiple prefixes. Having separate forums for both will dilute globally applicable advice. Interesting idea for the future though!
OK. But I highly recommend a sticky in each (Academic and Career) strongly recommending that OP's provide relevant country info up front and cautioning respondents about strong differences in national practices (that the practices they are accustomed to may not apply for others), and respondents should also identify what country they are talking about.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
CrysPhys said:
But I highly recommend a sticky

Stickies are routinely ignored, particularly by new members.

CrysPhys said:
respondents should also identify what country they are talking about.

I agree, but everyone's seen threads where it takes for-ever for someone to finally let us know where he is.

Likes bhobba
Vanadium 50 said:
Could it be done via a template, like the homework one? No obligation to use it, but if you don't specify where you want to study, note that the advice may be wrong.

Vanadium 50 said:
I agree, but everyone's seen threads where it takes for-ever for someone to finally let us know where he is.
Yes, that's why it's critical that the OPs identify their countries up front.

Vanadium 50 said:

Well, my first recommendation was to split the fields into US/non-US. But that has been shot down.

CrysPhys said:
Yes, that's why it's critical that the OPs identify their countries up front.
Sometimes people fill out their location field in their profile.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Sometimes people fill out their location field in their profile.
Some do, some don't. Then the burden falls on the respondents to check the profile of the OP ... just to find out that the info isn't there. And even when it is there, it becomes obvious that many respondents don't check (such as respondents discussing options in the defense industry with an OP whose country listed in the profile turns out to be halfway around the world). And in many instances, the current country of residence by itself isn't sufficient (when the OP plans to study or work elsewhere). I answered a post on the "Patent Attorney" thread. Turned out the OP was a citizen of the Philippines, studying in Japan, but wanting to become a patent practitioner in Germany. You would think it would be obvious to include all that info in the first post, but I got that info only after some probing. I think that many OPs (and respondents) operate under the assumption that practices are uniform across the globe and that terminology (such as A Levels) is universal; hence the need for an improved process or (minimally) instructions.

Thanks for all the feedback! Looks like the best course of action is to keep the Academic Guidance forum as it is. However the OPP forum will still be ending and we've decided to bring the homework help forums to the top homepage level instead of sub forums. Thanks!

Likes bhobba and fresh_42