Tags: mathematics, science, subforum, tutorials
Hootenanny
Apr12-08, 10:41 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,789
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
The problem is that only the main forum listing was changed, all of the subforums still say "tutorials", isn't that what is causing the confusion? If we change all of the tutorial subforum titles that might do the trick.
It may very well be the case Evo, I had noticed that the sub-forums had remained unchanged but didn't really want to bring it up.

Another possible reason is one which I have previously raised,
Quote Quote by Hootenanny View Post
Another point to consider is that when one logs in, the first forum at the top is the Tutorials Sub-Forum, perhaps it might also be an idea to move it down the list to below the Homework Forums.
New members, who are perhaps in a hurry to get their questions answered, won't bother looking through the guidelines or forum titles to see which is the most appropriate. Instead, they will probably just post their question in the first forum they see, which happens to be the Learning Materials forum. I apologise in advanced for making such a general statement of new members.
Astronuc
Apr12-08, 10:46 AM
Admin
P: 21,625
May be should have called it "Reading Room" or "Reference Section"?

Perhaps we need a sticky - "Post Questions in HW and discussion Forums".
Evo
Apr12-08, 10:52 AM
Mentor
P: 25,911
It may very well be the case Evo, I had noticed that the sub-forums had remained unchanged but didn't really want to bring it up.
<smacks Hootenanny on the forehead> You should have said something. I haven't been in this thread since it started, or I would have mentioned it. We need to change the subforum titles to see if it will help.

Another possible reason is one which I have previously raised,

New members, who are perhaps in a hurry to get their questions answered, won't bother looking through the guidelines or forum titles to see which is the most appropriate. Instead, they will probably just post their question in the first forum they see, which happens to be the Learning Materials forum. I apologise in advanced for making such a general statement of new members.
I agree, and the biggest problem is failure to pay attention.
Hootenanny
Apr12-08, 10:52 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
May be should have called it "Reading Room" or "Reference Section"?
I think "learning materials" is the most explicit title we can give the forums, personally, I don't know how anyone can interpret "Math & Science Learning Materials" as a place to post questions and/or request homework assistance.

In my opinion it's more a matter of laziness: "I can't be bothered looking for the correct forum so I'll just post it in the first one I see".
Hootenanny
Apr12-08, 10:54 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
<smacks Hootenanny on the forehead> You should have said something. I haven't been in this thread since it started, or I would have mentioned it. We need to change the subforum titles to see if it will help.
Ow! Well, I suppose should just be grateful you didn't use a fish.

Thanks for all your efforts Evo, I didn't realise quite how tenacious you are .
Evo
Apr12-08, 11:04 AM
Mentor
Ow! Well, I suppose should just be grateful you didn't use a fish.
*pelts hoot with chum* Just for good measure.

I didn't realise quite how tenacious you are .
That's probably the nicest way I've been described, most people just call me annoying.

Now we've got to get Greg or chroot's attention and ask them if they will change the rest of the tutorial titles.
Astronuc
Apr12-08, 11:09 AM
Admin
I think "learning materials" is the most explicit title we can give the forums, personally, I don't know how anyone can interpret "Math & Science Learning Materials" as a place to post questions and/or request homework assistance.

In my opinion it's more a matter of laziness: "I can't be bothered looking for the correct forum so I'll just post it in the first one I see".
I was reflecting on the university library in which I spent a lot of time. They had a reference section.

I was thinking along the lines of Mathematics & Science Reference Room/Section. Basically it's for reading - not writing. But of course one can make a contribution - but that should be tutorials/lessons - not homework or other questions. That's what the other forums are for - and that is why I proposed restrictions on writing permissions. Set that section for -r--, except for approved contributors who get -rw-. But perhaps that too restrictive. AFAIK, the PF policy is to be as least restrictive as possible, but that also makes it easier for spammers and others who don't pay attention or otherwise.
Evo
Apr12-08, 11:30 AM
Mentor
I agree.
Hootenanny
Apr12-08, 11:34 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
That's what the other forums are for - and that is why I proposed restrictions on writing permissions. Set that section for -r--, except for approved contributors who get -rw-. But perhaps that too restrictive. AFAIK, the PF policy is to be as least restrictive as possible, but that also makes it easier for spammers and others who don't pay attention or otherwise.
As I have said in previous discussions, I totally agree with restricting posting permissions to the Learning Materials Forums, either based on post count, or preferably restrict posting to HH's, SA's, Mentors & Admin. I know that Greg wants to keep PF as open as possible, with as few restrictions as possible, which is rightly his decision.

However, I would like to point out that the likelihood of a new user posting something useful in the Learning Materials forum is negligible. That said, even if a new user or non-HH/SA wishes to post something in the Learning Materials section users could be allowed to submit their contributions to SA's/HH's/Mentors via PM/e-mail. The proposed tutorial could then placed in the SA/HH forums for review or posted straight away in the Learning Materials Forum. Personally, I have no problem with users sending me PM's/e-mail, especially if they were willing to contribute something to the forums; however, I understand that this may not be the case with other SA's/HH's/Mentors. I also realise that this will increase the workload for Mentors rather than reduce it, however, restricted posting permissions would in my opinion increase the academic integrity of the Learning Materials.
Hootenanny
Apr12-08, 12:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Now we've got to get Greg or chroot's attention and ask them if they will change the rest of the tutorial titles.
Damn your efficient Evo, I've just noticed that they've been changed . Thanks again for your efforts!
Evo
Apr12-08, 01:01 PM
Mentor
Damn your efficient Evo, I've just noticed that they've been changed . Thanks again for your efforts!
Thank chroot, I saw him online and pm'd the request to him.
Hootenanny
Apr12-08, 01:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Thank chroot, I saw him online and pm'd the request to him.
In that case, thanks a lot chroot!

P.S. I'll send some more chocolates for you Evo when I get chance
Astronuc
Apr12-08, 01:12 PM
Admin
In that case, thanks a lot chroot!

P.S. I'll send some more chocolates for you Evo when I get chance
Or, since Kurdt is taking Evo to Death Valley, you could take her to some place like - Pike's Peak, or if high places aren't a good idea, how about the Great Salt Lake, or Bonneville Salt Flats!?

If you like lower places, there's always the Dead Sea.
Kurdt
Apr12-08, 01:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
Or, since Kurdt is taking Evo to Death Valley,
I think we're going to Yellowstone now, or perhaps the Caribbean.
Astronuc
Apr12-08, 01:58 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
What!? And miss Death Valley in the Springtime!?
Evo
Apr12-08, 04:24 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
Oooh, let's do both! With the PF sister's Amphibious Supersonic RV, it'll be no problem.
Astronuc
Apr12-08, 05:39 PM
Admin
Oooh, let's do both! With the PF sister's Amphibious Supersonic RV, it'll be no problem.
Umm - don't forget - we made it hypersonic! Next step is to upgrade it for orbital capability - for trips to ISS. Then after that - orbital transfer capability for Lunar missions - roundtrip of course.

The sky's not the limit for the PF Sisterhood.
Kurdt
Apr12-08, 05:46 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
I love space and stuff like that (thats why I did an honours course in it and am an absolute expert) but I'm not going there 'til the ships are of Starfleet standards.

Register to reply