Real Analysis - Radius of Convergence

by steelphantom
Tags: analysis, convergence, radius, real
Share this thread:
steelphantom
Apr29-08, 10:08 AM
P: 159
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Suppose that [tex]\sum[/tex]anxn has finite radius of convergence R and that an >= 0 for all n. Show that if the series converges at R, then it also converges at -R.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Since the series converges at R, then I know that [tex]\sum[/tex]anRn = M.

At -R, the series is the following: [tex]\sum[/tex]an(-R)n = [tex]\sum[/tex](-1)nanRn.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I thought I needed to use the alternating series test, but how can I know that a1 >= a2 >= ... >= an for all n? Do I know this because the series converges? Thanks for your help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Dick
Apr29-08, 10:14 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,251
Right. You can't use the alternating series test. How about a comparison test?
steelphantom
Apr29-08, 10:30 AM
Thanks! So since [tex]\sum[/tex]anRn converges, and an(-R)n <= anRn for all n, then [tex]\sum[/tex]an(-R)n converges.

Dick
Apr29-08, 10:32 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Real Analysis - Radius of Convergence

Sorry! That's wrong. I'm clearly asleep at the wheel. That's convergence for sequences. And this sort of argument only shows that the partial sums are bounded, not that they converge. Do you know the Dirichlet convergence test?
steelphantom
Apr29-08, 11:19 AM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
Sorry! That's wrong. I'm clearly asleep at the wheel. That's convergence for sequences. And this sort of argument only shows that the partial sums are bounded, not that they converge. Do you know the Dirichlet convergence test?
I don't know that one. But the comparison test in my book says the following:

Let [tex]\sum[/tex]an be a series where an >=0 for all n.
(i) If [tex]\sum[/tex]an converges and |bn| <= an for all n, then [tex]\sum[/tex]bn converges.

If I let an = anRn, this is >=0 for all n. And if I let bn = an(-R)n, then I have |bn| <= an for all n, so the series converges, right? What's wrong with this statement?
Dick
Apr29-08, 11:27 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking of that comparison test. Hence the panic attack. Carry on.
steelphantom
Apr29-08, 11:28 AM
Ok! Thanks once again for your help.
HallsofIvy
Apr29-08, 12:15 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,340
What's wrong with using the comparison test is that it only applies to positive series. Certainly -n< (1/2)n for all n, but we can't use that to conclude that [itex]\sum -n [/itex] converges!

The crucial point is that every an is positive. That means that [itex]\sum a_n x^n[/itex], for x negative is an alternating series. What is true of alternating series?
steelphantom
Apr29-08, 12:37 PM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
The crucial point is that every an is positive. That means that [itex]\sum a_n x^n[/itex], for x negative is an alternating series. What is true of alternating series?
If a1 >= a2 >= ... >= an >= ... >= 0 and lim(an) = 0, then the alternating series [tex]\sum[/tex](-1)nan converges. But, like I said before, do I know that a1 >= a2 >= ... >= an because the series converges at R?
Dick
Apr29-08, 01:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
What's wrong with using the comparison test is that it only applies to positive series. Certainly -n< (1/2)n for all n, but we can't use that to conclude that [itex]\sum -n [/itex] converges!

All of terms a_n*R^n are positive and it's convergent. The series is absolutely convergent. Nothing can go wrong here.

Register to reply