Register to reply

Prove Euler Identity without using Euler Formula

by maze
Tags: euler, formula, identity, prove
Share this thread:
maze
Nov14-08, 03:12 AM
P: 655
Is it possible to prove Euler's identity (e^i*pi = -1) without simply taking it as a special case of Euler's formula (e^i*x = cos(x) + i sin(x))?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Phrak
Nov14-08, 04:21 AM
P: 4,512
You can derive Euler's equation by Taylor expanding e^ix.

Collecting the odd powers of x will give you the Taylor expansion of i sin(x).

Collecting the even powers of x will give you the Taylor expansion of cos(x).

Setting x=pi gets you what you want.
maze
Nov14-08, 04:37 AM
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
You can derive Euler's equation by Taylor expanding e^ix.

Collecting the odd powers of x will give you the Taylor expansion of i sin(x).

Collecting the even powers of x will give you the Taylor expansion of cos(x).

Setting x=pi gets you what you want.
That's all fine and good but its not what I asked. The purpose was to derive Euler's Identity without using Euler's formula.

Phrak
Nov14-08, 04:59 AM
Prove Euler Identity without using Euler Formula

never mind
maze
Nov14-08, 05:01 AM
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
never mind
Hey no problem. I figured chances are someone would post that anyways.
Phrak
Nov14-08, 09:51 PM
Thanks for being so gracious. I scibbled out a few things.

It's a blunt approach, but if you can prove these two series converge...

[tex]1 - \frac{\pi^2}{2!} + \frac{\pi^4}{4!} - ... \rightarrow -1[/tex]
and
[tex]\pi - \frac{\pi^3}{3!} + \frac{\pi^5}{5!} - ... \rightarrow 0[/tex]
mathwonk
Nov15-08, 01:08 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,498
this seems trivial: e^(x+y) = e^x e^y, so 1 = e^0 = e^ipi e^(-ipi) = e^(ipi)/ e^ipi, oops, anything satisfies this.

well you could use the uniqueness theorem for diff eq's.

or say that e^(inpi) = pooey.
dodo
Nov15-08, 02:21 AM
P: 688
One question: how do you define the complex exponential, in the first place? (Without using Euler's formula).

If it is defined as a Taylor series, then there's no way but to start with one, I think.
maze
Nov15-08, 12:57 PM
Quote Quote by Dodo View Post
One question: how do you define the complex exponential, in the first place? (Without using Euler's formula).

If it is defined as a Taylor series, then there's no way but to start with one, I think.
I tend to like defining it by the differential equation f' = f, f(0) = 1, though I dont want to limit myself to that if other definitions are fruitful.
arildno
Nov15-08, 02:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by maze View Post
I tend to like defining it by the differential equation f' = f, f(0) = 1, though I dont want to limit myself to that if other definitions are fruitful.
Well, that leads you directly to the series representation of the function, which then can be rearranged into Euler's formula, whereby your result is proven.
gel
Nov15-08, 02:46 PM
P: 532
Using f(0)=1,f'=f its not hard to see that g(x)=exp(ix) gives a periodic function mapping R to S1={x in C: |x|=1}. If its period is L then g(L/2)=-1.

As pi is defined to be half the circumference of a unit circle in the Euclidean plane, then pi=L/2 follows almost by definition.
morphism
Nov15-08, 02:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
How do you know that |g(x)|=1? And I'm not sure I see why g(L/2)=-1 either.
gel
Nov15-08, 03:08 PM
P: 532
Quote Quote by morphism View Post
How do you know that |g(x)|=1? And I'm not sure I see why g(L/2)=-1 either.
You could use g'=ig, and, writing g(x)=u(x)+iv(x) gives u'=-v,v'=u. Then,
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} |g|^2= \frac{d}{dx}(u^2+v^2)=2uu'+2vv'=-2uv+2vu=0.
[/tex]

For, g(L/2)=-1, it seems obvious to me that if you go half way round a unit circle centered at the origin and starting at (1,0) takes you to (-1,0). With a bit of effort you can convert this to a rigorous argument.

Alternatively, to make things easier you can use g(x+y)=g(x)g(y). If L is the period then g(L/2)^2=g(L)=g(0)=1, so g(L/2) is either 1 or -1. You can rule out g(L/2)=1, because that would imply that g has period L/2 or smaller. So, g(L/2)=-1.
maze
Nov15-08, 03:16 PM
Quote Quote by arildno View Post
Well, that leads you directly to the series representation of the function, which then can be rearranged into Euler's formula, whereby your result is proven.
That's all fine and good but its not what I asked. The purpose was to derive Euler's Identity without using Euler's formula.

Quote Quote by gel View Post
Using f(0)=1,f'=f its not hard to see that g(x)=exp(ix) gives a periodic function mapping R to S1={x in C: |x|=1}. If its period is L then g(L/2)=-1.

As pi is defined to be half the circumference of a unit circle in the Euclidean plane, then pi=L/2 follows almost by definition.
Awesome, thanks gel. I was thinking along these same lines at first but then switched strategies and didn't take it to the logical conclusion. It seemed like showing |g(x)|=1 would require assuming the Euler formula, but thankfully it does not as you have shown!
morphism
Nov15-08, 03:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by gel View Post
You could use g'=ig, and, writing g(x)=u(x)+iv(x) gives u'=-v,v'=u. Then,
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} |g|^2= \frac{d}{dx}(u^2+v^2)=2uu'+2vv'=-2uv+2vu=0.
[/tex]
Ahh.. of course. Clever!

Alternatively, to make things easier you can use g(x+y)=g(x)g(y). If L is the period then g(L/2)^2=g(L)=g(0)=1, so g(L/2) is either 1 or -1. You can rule out g(L/2)=1, because that would imply that g has period L/2 or smaller. So, g(L/2)=-1.
I'm still not fully convinced. Is it easy to prove that g isn't multiply periodic? And is it actually immediate that g(L/2)=1 => g has period L/2 or smaller?

And I actually don't buy that it's obvious that L/2=pi - at least not without knowing that e^ix=cosx+isinx.
maze
Nov15-08, 03:50 PM
The result also shows g is unit speed. Take [itex]\frac{d}{dx}|g'(x)|^2 = \frac{d}{dx}|g(x)|^2 = 0[/itex] since g' = ig. Then g is a unit speed curve restricted to the unit circle.
morphism
Nov15-08, 03:57 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I'm probably being especially dense... but so what?
maze
Nov15-08, 04:02 PM
We have that g is a unit speed parameterization of a simple closed curve of finite length. Isnt this sufficient to show that g is periodic and the period is the arc length of the curve?

Register to reply