Differentiating Euler formula vs. multiplying by i

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating both sides of Euler's formula with respect to x and multiplying both sides by i to yield the additive inverse. The mistake is that the person misremembered Euler's formula and the correct version is e^ix = cos(x) + i sin(x). The formula can also be derived using Taylor Series.
ke7ijo
TL;DR Summary
I ran into an apparent contradiction when working with Euler's formula and I can't find the mistake.
I differentiated both sides of Euler's formula with respect to x :
e^ix = sin x + i cos x => ie^ix = cos x - i sin x

Then for comparison I multiplied both sides of Euler's formula by i:
e^ix = sin x + i cos x => ie^ix = i sin x - cos x

Each of these two procedures seems to yield the additive inverse of the other, and I can't seem to figure out why even after a couple of hours of going back over it.

Physics news on Phys.org
ke7ijo said:
I differentiated both sides of Euler's formula with respect to x :
e^ix = sin x + i cos x
The mistake is that you have misremembered Euler's formula. The correct version is ##e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x)##, which differs from what you wrote.

You can think of it this way. On the unit circle, with ##x## being the angle a ray makes with the horizontal axis, ##e^{ix}## represents the point on the unit circle. The coordinates of the point are ##(\cos(x), \sin(x))##. As a complex number, this point is ##\cos(x) + i\sin(x)##.

Likes WWGD
Thank you! That's it.

Likes berkeman
if you are mathematically curious, look at the different derivations of Euler's formula. My favorite is the one that uses Taylor Series.

What is the Euler formula?

The Euler formula, also known as Euler's identity, is a mathematical equation that relates the mathematical constants e, π, and i. It is written as e + 1 = 0.

What is the significance of multiplying by i?

Multiplying a number by i, the imaginary unit, results in a complex number. This is useful in mathematics and physics for representing quantities that have both a real and imaginary component.

How is the Euler formula related to multiplying by i?

The Euler formula can be derived by using the properties of complex numbers and the exponential function. When e is multiplied by i, it becomes i2π, which simplifies to -1. This results in the equation e + 1 = 0, which is the Euler formula.

What is the difference between Euler formula and multiplying by i?

The Euler formula is a specific equation that relates e, π, and i, while multiplying by i is a mathematical operation that results in a complex number. The Euler formula is derived from multiplying by i, but they are not interchangeable.

In what fields is understanding the difference between Euler formula and multiplying by i important?

Understanding the difference between Euler formula and multiplying by i is important in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. These concepts are used in complex number operations, signal processing, and quantum mechanics, among others.