Question about Euler's formula

jaydnul
Euler gave us the below equations:

1694459421013.png

But this doesn't actually give me a number value for where the y value is when you plug in a number for x. For example, if i plug in 2pi for x, i know cosx should be 1. But that equation gives me (e^2i*pi +e^-2i*pi)/2. This doesn't give me 1. So what really is the point of the equation if you have to use the taylor series representation of sin and cos to interpret the results in the first place?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaydnul said:

View attachment 331823

But this doesn't actually give me a number value for where the y value is when you plug in a number for x. For example, if i plug in 2pi for x, i know cosx should be 1. But that equation gives me (e^2i*pi +e^-2i*pi)/2. This doesn't give me 1. So what really is the point of the equation if you have to use the taylor series representation of sin and cos to interpret the results in the first place?
Perhaps there's more to mathematics than plugging numbers into an equation?

Likes vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and Dale
jaydnul said:
what really is the point of the equation
The point is that it is true.

It turns out to be useful in the Fourier transform, and important for communications systems.

Likes vanhees71
jaydnul said:

View attachment 331823

For example, if i plug in 2pi for x, i know cosx should be 1. But that equation gives me (e^2i*pi +e^-2i*pi)/2. This doesn't give me 1.
Perhaps it is time to learn the rules for complex exponentiation. Windows Calculator does not know about complex numbers. So it cannot do the job for you.

Let us first work on ##\cos x = Re(e^{ix}) = \frac{e^{ix} + e^{-ix}}2## for ##x=2\pi##.

In particular, let us work on evaluating ##e^{2i\pi}##.

That exponent is a complex number. Its real part is zero. Its imaginary part is ##2\pi##.

When you raise a [real] number to a complex power, you use the real part of the exponent and the imaginary part of the exponent differently.

1. You raise the real part of the root (##e## in this case) to the power of the real part of the exponent. In this case, that gives you ##e^0 = 1##. That is ##(1 + 0i)##

2. You place that result on the complex plane and rotate it through the angle given by the imaginary part. In this case, the rotation angle is ##2\pi##. So there is effectively no rotation.

You conclude that ##e^{2i\pi} = 1 + 0i##.

You can repeat the process and conclude that ##e^{-2i\pi} = 1 + 0i##.

Now substitute back into the formula and evaluate ##\frac{e^{ix} + e^{-ix}}2 = \frac{1 + 1}{2} = 1##

By no coincidence, ##\cos 2\pi = 1##.

jaydnul said:
So what really is the point of the equation if you have to use the taylor series representation of sin and cos to interpret the results in the first place?
Instead of using De Moivre's formula as I did above, you could use the Taylor series. Did you actually try that? I would expect some extremely helpful cancellation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes vanhees71, topsquark, nasu and 2 others

1. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates the trigonometric functions sine and cosine to the complex exponential function. It is written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

2. Who discovered Euler's formula?

Euler's formula was discovered by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He is considered one of the greatest mathematicians of all time and made significant contributions to various fields of mathematics.

3. What are the applications of Euler's formula?

Euler's formula has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to simplify complex mathematical expressions, solve differential equations, and model periodic phenomena. It also has applications in signal processing, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics.

4. How is Euler's formula related to the unit circle?

Euler's formula is closely related to the unit circle, which is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a coordinate system. The complex exponential function e^(ix) can be visualized as a point moving around the unit circle, with the real part representing the horizontal coordinate and the imaginary part representing the vertical coordinate.

5. Can Euler's formula be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Euler's formula can be extended to higher dimensions using the concept of quaternions. Quaternions are a type of hypercomplex numbers that extend the complex numbers to four dimensions. They have applications in computer graphics, robotics, and quantum computing.