Register to reply

Surface integral with differential forms

by gts87
Tags: differential, forms, integral, surface
Share this thread:
gts87
Jan11-09, 08:04 PM
P: 6
Hi, I'm trying to solve a problem in David Bachman's Geometric Approach to Differential Forms (teaching myself.) The problem is to integrate the scalar function f(x,y,z) = z^2 over the top half of the unit sphere centered at the origin, parameterized by [tex]\phi(r,\theta) = (rcos\theta, rsin\theta, \sqrt{1 - r^2}), 0 \leq r \leq 1, 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi[/tex]. I think we can evaluate this surface integral using the formula [tex]\int\int_{S}f(x,y,z)dS = \int\int_{D}f(\phi(r, \theta))|\phi_{r}\times\phi_{\theta}|drd\theta[/tex] yielding:

[tex]
\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{1}_{0}(1-r^2)|\partial\phi/\partial r \times \partial\phi/\partial\theta| dr d\theta
[/tex]

[tex]
\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{1}_{0}(1-r^2)|<r^2cos\theta/\sqrt{1 - r^2}, r^2sin\theta/\sqrt{1 - r^2}, r>| dr d\theta
[/tex]

[tex]
\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{1}_{0}(1-r^2)\sqrt{(r^4cos^2\theta + r^4sin^2\theta)/(1 - r^2) + r^2} dr d\theta
[/tex]

[tex]
\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{1}_{0}(1-r^2)\sqrt{(r^2/(1 - r^2)} dr d\theta
[/tex]

[tex]
\int^{2\pi}_{0}d\theta\int^{1}_{0}r\sqrt{1 - r^2} dr = 2\pi/3
[/tex]

However, using differential forms, if we let [tex]\omega = z^2 dx \wedge dy[/tex] and use the same parameterization to integrate [tex]\omega[/tex] over the mentioned manifold, we get

[tex]\int_{M}\omega = \int_{D}(1 - r^2)\cdot(\partial\phi/\partial r, \partial\phi/\partial\theta)dx \wedge dy[/tex] (Here [tex]\partial\phi/\partial r, \partial\phi/\partial\theta[/tex] are the tangent vectors being acted on by [tex]dx \wedge dy[/tex])

[tex]\int_{D}(1 - r^2) det[cos\theta \; -rsin\theta , \; \; sin\theta \; rcos\theta]drd\theta[/tex] (the matrix rows are separated by the comma.)

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{1}_{0}(1 - r^2)(r)drd\theta = \pi/2[/tex]

Am I doing something wrong? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
mirceap
Jan12-09, 02:31 AM
P: 1
Hi!
In the first case you are doing nothing more than integrating the form [tex]f(\phi(r,\theta))\:\phi^*[dr\wedge d\theta]=f(\phi(r,\theta)) dS[/tex] acting on the vectors [tex]\partial_r\phi,\:\partial_{\theta}\phi[/tex] (here [tex] \phi^{*}[/tex] represents the pushforward of a form). This corresponds to projecting the tangent vectors [tex]\partial_r\phi,\:\partial_{\theta}\phi[/tex] to the plane (x,y) and then integrating on the disk [tex]0 \leq r \leq 1, 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi[/tex], with the factor [tex]|\partial\phi/\partial r \times \partial\phi/\partial\theta|[/tex] accounting for the deformation due to projection to the horizontal plane. So this is the right result.

In the second case you are integrating [tex]f\;dx\wedge dy[/tex], but [tex]dx\wedge dy [/tex] is not the surface element [tex]dS[/tex]. Thus the result is different.

Register to reply