Calculate a tensor as the sum of gradients and compute a surface integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the stress tensor, defined as ##\vec{\Pi}=\eta(\nabla{\vec{u}}+\nabla{\vec{u}}^T)##, and the vector field ##\vec{u}(\vec{r})=(\frac{a}{r})^3(\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r})##. The result of the calculations is ##\vec{\Pi}=-\frac{6\eta a^3}{r^4}\hat{r}(\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r})##, and the conversation then moves on to discuss the computation of a surface integral. A mistake is found
Salmone
I am trying to compute the stress tensor defined as ##\vec{\Pi}=\eta(\nabla{\vec{u}}+\nabla{\vec{u}}^T)## where ##T## indicates the transpose.

The vector field ##\vec{u}## is defined as follows: ##\vec{u}(\vec{r})=(\frac{a}{r})^3(\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r})## with ##a## being a constant, ##\eta## being a constant, ##\vec{r}## a position vector and ##\omega## the angular speed constant in modulus.

Doing calculations I've obtained ##\vec{\Pi}=-\frac{6\eta a^3}{r^4}\hat{r}(\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r})## with ##\hat{r}## being a unit vector.

First is this result right?

Then I want to compute a surface integral: I wanna compute ##\int_S\vec{\Pi} \cdot d\vec{S}## over a sphere of radius ##R>0## with ##d\vec{S}## being ##r^2sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi \hat{r}##.

##\hat{r}## point in the same direction of the radius of the sphere over which I'm integrating.

To do this I thought to compute the dot product as ##-\frac{6\eta a^3}{r^4}(\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r})\hat{r} \cdot \hat{r}r^2sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi=-\frac{6\eta a^3}{r^4}(\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}) r^2sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi## then ##\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}=\omega rsin(\theta)## and the integral becomes ##-\frac{6\eta a^3}{r}\omega\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi\int_0^{\pi}d\theta sin^2(\theta)## but this integral should be equal to zero.

Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral is [tex]f(r)r^2 \int_0^{\pi} \sin \theta \int_0^{2\pi} (\vec \omega \times \vec r)\,d\phi\,d\theta.[/tex] Without loss of generality, you can assume [itex]\hat\omega = \omega \hat z[/itex]. Then [tex]\vec \omega \times \vec r = \omega(x \hat y - y \hat x).[/tex] Integrating either [itex]x = r \cos \phi \sin \theta[/itex] or [itex]y = r \sin \phi \sin \theta[/itex] over a full period of [itex]\phi[/itex] gives zero.

pasmith said:
Your integral is [tex]f(r)r^2 \int_0^{\pi} \sin \theta \int_0^{2\pi} (\vec \omega \times \vec r)\,d\phi\,d\theta.[/tex] Without loss of generality, you can assume [itex]\hat\omega = \omega \hat z[/itex]. Then [tex]\vec \omega \times \vec r = \omega(x \hat y - y \hat x).[/tex] Integrating either [itex]x = r \cos \phi \sin \theta[/itex] or [itex]y = r \sin \phi \sin \theta[/itex] over a full period of [itex]\phi[/itex] gives zero.
Sorry I really don't understand your answer. However, if I didn't nothing wrong, why my integral is different from zero? What's wrong with it?

Your error is in stating that [itex]\vec \omega \times \vec r = r \omega \sin \theta[/itex]. That deals with the magnitude of the cross-product, but not its direction; that must also depend on [itex]\phi[/itex].

EDIT: Even the magnitude is only correct when [itex]\sin \theta \geq 0[/itex]; outside of this range you must multiply by -1 to get the magnitude.

Last edited:
Likes Salmone

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between vectors and scalars in a multi-dimensional space. It is represented by a set of numbers arranged in a specific way, and its properties and behavior are defined by certain mathematical operations.

2. How do you calculate a tensor as the sum of gradients?

To calculate a tensor as the sum of gradients, you first need to calculate the gradient of each component of the tensor. This can be done by taking the partial derivative of each component with respect to each variable in the space. Once you have the gradient of each component, you can sum them together to obtain the tensor as the sum of gradients.

3. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical operation that calculates the integral of a function over a two-dimensional surface. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional interval, it integrates over a two-dimensional surface.

4. How do you compute a surface integral?

To compute a surface integral, you first need to parameterize the surface using two variables. Then, you integrate the function over the surface by multiplying the function by the surface element and integrating over the two variables. The surface element is calculated using the cross product of the two tangent vectors to the surface.

5. What is the significance of calculating a tensor as the sum of gradients and computing a surface integral?

Calculating a tensor as the sum of gradients and computing a surface integral is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and elasticity. It allows us to describe and analyze the behavior of physical systems in a multi-dimensional space, and it provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems and making predictions about the behavior of these systems.