[C++] Tutorial 1: Discussion

by dduardo
Tags: discussion, tutorial
John_Phillips
Nov3-08, 08:06 AM
P: 12
Is the directory that holds the nr3.h header in your include paths? That is the typical cause of this error.

John
Rancour
Feb20-09, 06:43 AM
P: 3
Hello, I am a beginner to C++ and I have a couple of inquiries on the subject. First, do I have to be a mathematician to program C++? And lastly, if so, what mathematical knowledge must I have?
John_Phillips
Feb20-09, 08:23 AM
P: 12
No, you don't.

Any programming requires you to think algorithmically, and that is a skill mathematicians tend to have, but you don't have to be a mathematician to program.

John
Rancour
Feb20-09, 05:28 PM
Quote Quote by John_Phillips View Post
No, you don't.

Any programming requires you to think algorithmically, and that is a skill mathematicians tend to have, but you don't have to be a mathematician to program.

John
Thanks John, that cleared some stuff up for me. I'm not bad at math, but I'm not all that good....Does any one else know of any mathematics I may need, besides arrays?
samski
Feb20-09, 05:41 PM
P: 60
hey, i dont think you need any maths beyond the basics at school for programming, its more about being able to plan your program out in your head and work out how your going to do it, then you can get into the nitty gritty and google most of the stuff you have trouble with :P

you dont even have to understand what a mathematical array is. you can just think of one as like an excel sheet :P

logical laying of stuff out i guess is why it suits mathematicians :P

what kinda things do you want to learn from your programming? ive done a fair bit now in some pretty different languages, and C++ may not necessarily be the best thing to start with for you... if you want to make applications with windows and things, VB or C# could be a good place to start; its pretty and easy. i dont know what everyone else thinks?
Rancour
Feb20-09, 09:19 PM
Quote Quote by samski View Post
hey, i dont think you need any maths beyond the basics at school for programming, its more about being able to plan your program out in your head and work out how your going to do it, then you can get into the nitty gritty and google most of the stuff you have trouble with :P

you dont even have to understand what a mathematical array is. you can just think of one as like an excel sheet :P

logical laying of stuff out i guess is why it suits mathematicians :P

what kinda things do you want to learn from your programming? ive done a fair bit now in some pretty different languages, and C++ may not necessarily be the best thing to start with for you... if you want to make applications with windows and things, VB or C# could be a good place to start; its pretty and easy. i dont know what everyone else thinks?
Okay, that makes sense as well :D what about Python as a first language? I also dug up an old book on QBasic. is it good to learn this as a first language for organization etc...? or is Python better for a first?

EDIT: Also I heard that Ruby is making improvements with speed, would this be better over python for a first?
samski
Feb21-09, 03:04 AM
P: 60
Quote Quote by Rancour View Post
Okay, that makes sense as well :D what about Python as a first language? I also dug up an old book on QBasic. is it good to learn this as a first language for organization etc...? or is Python better for a first?

EDIT: Also I heard that Ruby is making improvements with speed, would this be better over python for a first?
hey, well i first learnt to program using pbasic, this is used to program picaxe microcontrollers, really basic stuff. i guess qbasic might be similar...

i first learnt to program a computer using a program called autohotkey, its really easy to use

then i did a project using visual basic 6 (old stuff) and picked that up fairly quickly

im now doing a project on C# and finding that not so bad after my previous experience

once you know how to structure a program, the toughest challenge is finding the right commands and understanding the concepts of new languages. (eg, i can understand/program the nitty gritty of a C# program, but i get my head in a twist when it comes to putting that code into methods and how to declare things).

try qbasic, im not sure how bad it is. or have a go at autohotkey and pm me if u need any help.

another thing i find when learning to program is: always try and set yourself a target. dont just program lines together. think of something cool you could do with the language (have a read of the introduction first so you know your not gonna be stretching what is possible with it). that way, even though you might be guessing a bit at first, you learn very fast what goes where and i find the understanding of stuff comes later (eg methods in C#, i had no idea, but i get it now :P)

big jump from something like pbasic to visual basic etc is you never use the 'goto' command in VB, thats the basic of object orientated programming.

edit: oh and look at example code in the language, youll probably find yourself doing this alot as you search for something and find an example script. looking helps you keep with the conventions, and speeds up the learning curve. its probably best to create a new "programming" folder now!
asma_MIT
Jun30-09, 08:07 AM
P: 6
hello what are the real n imaginary numbrz in c++ classes definng our own operators
HallsofIvy
Jun30-09, 11:21 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,894
In the standard C++ library, the type "complex" is defined as

complex(
const Type& _RealVal = 0,
const Type& _ImagVal = 0
)

There is no "real" except as referring to the real part, _RealVal, of a complex number. Real numbers are represented as "int", "float", or "double".
pep_i
Sep5-09, 01:30 PM
P: 16
god i am getting into computer science myself.um can i learn the basics of c++here
.:Endeavour:.
Dec23-09, 02:13 PM
P: 80
Quote Quote by pep_i View Post
god i am getting into computer science myself.um can i learn the basics of c++here
I think you can the basics of C++, but you should get a book to understand it fully.
lulu f
Dec24-09, 05:02 PM
P: 2
i want help in Numerical integration programing by C
story645
Dec25-09, 01:55 PM
P: 670
Quote Quote by lulu f View Post
i want help in Numerical integration programing by C
Um, do you mean numerical approximation? Please be more specific.
lulu f
Dec26-09, 12:11 PM
how we can write aprogram that solve integration by C in rectangular method ,trapezoid ,and simpson
story645
Dec26-09, 07:20 PM
P: 670
how we can write aprogram that solve integration by C in rectangular method ,trapezoid ,and simpson
Is this homework? what have you already tried? Please start a new thread, 'cause this is a standalone thing.
.:Endeavour:.
Dec29-09, 10:45 AM
P: 80
I don't understand what you are talking about or want to create in C.
Lovely Berkzy
Feb7-10, 12:02 AM
Quote Quote by dduardo View Post
Please post your C++ questions or comments here for Tutorial 1.
hey dduardo!..can u please help me here!..really can't understand my programming class!!..
also can't manage to look find the right lesson where to start.
Smartguy5000
Apr15-10, 06:04 PM
I'd like to start learning C++ and I have a dreamspark version of MSVisual Studio 2010 beta, will that be good for a beginner, or should I have a go at something simpler?

Register to reply