Help with Setting Up FortranCL Programming Environment

• Fortran
  • Thread starter Tusike
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to set up a programming environment to use FortranCL, which is an implementation of OpenCL. They are having some difficulty with the command line, and are looking for help from others.
Tusike
Hi!

I wanted to ask if anybody here has any experience with FortranCL, the Fortran implementation of OpenCL.

If so, I would be really thankful if you could help me in setting up the programming environment to use it. So far, I downloaded the MinGW compilers for fortran and c, and the latest release of fortranCL:

https://code.google.com/p/fortrancl/downloads/detail?name=fortrancl-0.1alpha4.tar.gz&can=2&q=

I'm not really sure what to do with the files contained in the above package. The readme says to open up the command prompt and type in `./configure' as a first step, but I get the error '.' not recognized as an internal or external command...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Tusike

Technology news on Phys.org
First are you in the proper directory ie it should have a file named configure and second you need to type ./configure with no spaces between the . the slash and then configure.

Try it now.

Hi!
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I am in the proper directory, and there is a file named 'configure', no extension.
I'm using Windows 7, but I read that fortranCL should work there too. I hope that's not the problem.

upload_2014-11-1_21-21-41.png

On the command line, just type configure, without the . and /. If that doesn't work, it's most likely because configure isn't an executable file.

Disclaimer: I have never used Fortrancl

I see you are working on Windows...

Have you ever written and compiled a Fortran program in Windows? I ask this because it seems to me that you may have just downloaded MinGW and probably don't know how to use it...?

The thing is that I suspect that such "./configure" command that you are supposed to run it is supposed to be run from within the "Linux-like" environment of the "msys" prompt command that came with MinGW...and NOT the DOS terminal that you show in your screenshot.

Yes, you are perfectly right that I don't really know how to use MinGW. (I am able to use it to compile fortran code in windows though).

I didn't know about MSYS, and I didn't include it when installing MinGW. But now I installed it as well, and the ./configure command is working!

My next step is to install the openCL tools FortranCL uses; I believe to do that I just have to download the SDK package from Intel's site (I have Intel HD Graphics 3000), the first two from here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers

If I run into any other problems I will ask them again here.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

-Tusike

1. What is FortranCL?

FortranCL is a programming language that combines the features of Fortran and OpenCL for high-performance computing. It allows for parallel programming on heterogeneous systems, such as CPUs and GPUs.

2. How do I set up a FortranCL programming environment?

To set up a FortranCL programming environment, you will need to have a Fortran compiler and an OpenCL implementation installed on your system. You will also need to configure your compiler to link with the OpenCL libraries. Detailed instructions can be found in the FortranCL documentation.

3. Can FortranCL be used for any type of programming?

FortranCL is primarily used for scientific and engineering applications that require high-performance computing. It is not suitable for general purpose programming or web development.

4. Are there any advantages to using FortranCL over other programming languages?

One advantage of using FortranCL is its ability to harness the power of both CPUs and GPUs for parallel computing. This can result in significant performance improvements for certain types of applications. Additionally, FortranCL is a popular language for scientific computing and has a large community of users and libraries available.

5. Is FortranCL difficult to learn?

If you are already familiar with Fortran and OpenCL, learning FortranCL should not be too difficult. However, if you are new to these languages, there may be a learning curve. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of Fortran and OpenCL before attempting to use FortranCL.