by Evo
Tags: deficiency, potassium
Share this thread:
Evo
Mar28-09, 08:51 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Quote Quote by Proton Soup View Post
and i bet the medication is slow release.
Actually it's not and I'm trying to read up on absorption rates, I know it is excreted daily, but I am wondering if taking smaller doses throughout the day is better.

Each pill is is the equivalent of 1,500 mg, so that's what about 30% of the RDA? They are prescription. People shouldn't self medicate with potassium, especially if they aren't getting their blood levels checked.

Although the initial excrutiating spasms ended quickly, my calf muscle is still spasmed and hurts. It's like the muscle won't move.
Proton Soup
Mar28-09, 09:05 PM
P: 1,070
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Actually it's not and I'm trying to read up on absorption rates, I know it is excreted daily, but I am wondering if taking smaller doses throughout the day is better.

Each pill is is the equivalent of 1,500 mg, so that's what about 30% of the RDA? They are prescription. People shouldn't self medicate with potassium, especially if they aren't getting their blood levels checked.

Although the initial excrutiating spasms ended quickly, my calf muscle is still spasmed and hurts. It's like the muscle won't move.
well, if that's the case, and it's KCl, then you could just measure out an appropriate amount of NoSalt salt substitute next time you find yourself in bind.
Evo
Mar28-09, 11:16 PM
Mentor
well, if that's the case, and it's KCl, then you could just measure out an appropriate amount of NoSalt salt substitute next time you find yourself in bind.
This brings up what I said earlier about people not self-medicating themselves with potassium.

Can salt substitute kill you?

This one is truly bizzare
A mother, following the instructions in Adelle Davis's book Let's Have Healthy Children (1972), fed her infant about three-quarters of a teaspoon of potassium chloride mixed with her breast milk. The child stopped breathing and though rushed to the hospital died after 28 hours.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...itute-kill-you
Proton Soup
Mar28-09, 11:46 PM
P: 1,070
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
This brings up what I said earlier about people not self-medicating themselves with potassium.

Can salt substitute kill you?

This one is truly bizzare

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...itute-kill-you
um, yeah, as i mentioned before, too much at once will stop your heart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_...ssium_chloride

i think you're not a bozo, tho, and can probably measure. and it wouldn't be self-medicating so much as substituting in a time of crisis. never know, you might get snowed in one day.
Evo
Mar29-09, 12:17 AM
Mentor
um, yeah, as i mentioned before, too much at once will stop your heart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_...ssium_chloride

i think you're not a bozo, tho, and can probably measure. and it wouldn't be self-medicating so much as substituting in a time of crisis. never know, you might get snowed in one day.
Like today's blizzard.

I will get some No salt for emergencies. My ex husband at one time had refilled every salt container and shaker in the house with "no salt". Luckily the first taste alerted me to what he had done and I dumped them all out. He thought it was healthier for me and the children.
Moonbear
Apr1-09, 11:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
My mom has had this problem on and off. The first time, she had it as a result of her blood pressure medication. You can get potassium supplements in both a pill and a liquid form by prescription (it's given by prescription because you really can overdose if you take too much). You need to take it daily if you are having problems with low potassium levels.

My mom's most recent bout with it was just recently while she was in the hospital getting both a gall bladder removed and a bleeding ulcer treated. This time it wasn't likely any medication, but either due to blood loss or a malabsorption problem. Considering your past surgery for your acid reflux, it may be that you have more than one problem going on too...partly the blood pressure medication, and possibly re-routing your stomach is affecting some nutrient absorption so you don't even get all of what you consume.

Do NOT let potassium get low...if you know you have a problem, take the supplements. The i.v. infusion burns like heck, so you REALLY don't want to let your levels drop so low that you have to get your potassium by i.v. (my mom learned this the hard way).

Register to reply