Making of the jib crane & calculations

by speko1
Tags: calculations, mechanics
Share this thread:
speko1
May1-09, 08:18 PM
P: 13
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Need to do calculations for the jib. The jib is 600 mm long and 40 mm wide. It is attached to a base at the bottom with a pin. The cable is going through from the motor, and at the top there is a pulley. We have to lift 2 kg of weight with a motor.

The jib is very stable, and I am sure it will do its job, but not sure how to calculate all the forces that are acting on the jib. There is a force of 20 N(2kg) which is required to be lifted. Now, I am unsure, whether we have to calculate all the forces in the jib, or just the ones at the top and bottom part.

Also, the jib will be connected to a cable at around 200 mm when going from the top downwards, and once it is at 60 degrees it has to lift required weight of 2 kg.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

first question:Just need some suggestions whether I should calculate all the forces acting on the jib or just partialy.
second: I am guessing that there is only one moment, and that is at the part where the jib is connected to the base with a pin, point A. As i said above, the jib will also be connected to another cable at 400 mm, measuring from the bottom. Does it mean there will be a moment at point B as well.
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Attached Thumbnails
jib_paint.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker

Register to reply