Equilibrium of Rigid Bodies: Solving a Complex Crane Boom Problem

In summary, the problem involves determining the resultant force on the pin at A, the tension in the guy line BC, and the tension in the hoist line. The jib AB, supported by the pin at A, the guy line BC, and the backstay CD, is used to support a 5-kN load through a hoist line over a pulley at B. The book provides an elaborate FBD to show how the forces on the sheave at B are applied to the jib. This is to help the student understand how to analyze and isolate key components in a complex situation.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

The upper portion of the crane boom consists of the jib AB,
which is supported by the pin at A, the guy line BC, and the
backstay CD, each cable being separately attached to the
mast at C. If the 5-kN load is supported by the hoist line,
which passes over the pulley at B, determine the magnitude
of the resultant force the pin exerts on the jib at A for
equilibrium, the tension in the guy line BC, and the tension
T in the hoist line. Neglect the weight of the jib. The pulley
at B has a radius of 0.1 m.

Homework Equations

Rigid Bodies Equillibrium

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, the problem seems to be BIG and contains lots of 'unnecessary' details. I am confused here in WHAT to take as my body to draw my FBD. Is it the jib AB or DAB... I followed my common sense and took AB.. Not only that but the JIB AB attached to the pulley as one system. Now, we ignore CD. I solved it and I got the correct answer by choosing moment about A by 3 different forces. Tension along BC along y-axis and two tension around the pulley. (Even the horizontal tension has a distance from A)... NOW MY QUESTION STARTS!. The book gives one surprising FBD. It is included in the word document. One for the JIB and the other for the pulley. My question is WHY is there a 5 kN Horizontal and Vertical AT THE CENTER of the pulley. The forces are tangential.. How is it drawn inside? I suppose this is the reaction of the jib on the pulley. But HOW??... I am sorry for elongating the post. Thanks for bearing with me and being patient.

Attachments

• FBD.docx
    68.9 KB · Views: 803
Physics news on Phys.org
The book is showing you in isolation the forces acting on the sheave at B around which the 5 kN load is supported.

Since a wire rope or other type line is being used to support the load, this line acts in tension. By isolating the sheave with its own FBD, the reaction forces on the pin at B are determined, and these forces can be applied to the FBD of the jib, eliminating the need to show the sheave, the load, and the line supporting the load.

You have a vertical load on pin B due to supporting the 5 kN load from the sheave, and because the load wire wraps around the sheave and runs horizontally along the top of the jib, there is a 5 kN load acting horizontally as well.

Yes, the forces act tangentially to the sheave, but the forces acting on pin B are what are applied to the jib.

I think one reason such an elaborate problem set up was given was to show the student how to analyze such a situation, isolate the key components for developing a FBD, and to show how loads from other parts of the mechanism not included in the critical FBD are applied.

1. What is a "Problem in Rigid Bodies"?

A "Problem in Rigid Bodies" refers to a situation in which a rigid body (an object that does not deform under external forces) experiences forces or moments that cause it to move or rotate in a specific way.

2. What are some examples of "Problems in Rigid Bodies"?

Some examples of "Problems in Rigid Bodies" include a seesaw, a lever, a car turning a corner, or a person lifting a heavy object.

3. What are the main principles involved in solving "Problems in Rigid Bodies"?

The main principles involved in solving "Problems in Rigid Bodies" include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum. These principles help to analyze the forces and moments acting on a rigid body and determine its motion or equilibrium.

4. What tools or techniques are used to solve "Problems in Rigid Bodies"?

Some common tools or techniques used to solve "Problems in Rigid Bodies" include free body diagrams, vector analysis, and equations of motion. Computer simulations and experimental methods may also be used in more complex problems.

5. Why is understanding "Problems in Rigid Bodies" important in science and engineering?

Understanding "Problems in Rigid Bodies" is important in science and engineering because it allows us to predict and control the motion of objects in real-world situations. This knowledge is crucial for designing structures, machines, and other systems that can withstand forces and maintain stability.