Register to reply

Parton Distributions in PP collisions

by philip041
Tags: collisions, distributions, parton
Share this thread:
philip041
May9-09, 09:03 AM
P: 107
I read some notes answering a question about how a Z boson is made in a proton anti-proton collision and it said that the quark antiquark collision is a very rare event because the antiquark has a small parton distribution function. Surely the up anti up(or down antidown) parton distributions are the same? The general context is the discovery of the W+ W- and Z bosons. Were these all quite difficult processes to observe?

Cheers
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
humanino
May9-09, 09:41 AM
P: 2,828
Quote Quote by philip041 View Post
Surely the up anti up(or down antidown) parton distributions are the same?
I can see why their integrals should cancel, but I doubt they must be equal in all variables one can cook.

On top of that, for up or down you have contributions from the sea and the valence as well. The valence is defined as this part which does not cancel when integrated. Depending on your kinematics, the valence may contribute a lot.
clem
May9-09, 12:37 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,256
Neither the integrals nor the distributions of ubar and dbar are equal.
The "Gottfried sum rule" which assumes they are equal has been shown to be violated in several experiments. A good reason for their difference is that there are more pi+ mesons than there are pi- in the proton pion cloud. Use "surely" carefully.

humanino
May9-09, 12:52 PM
Parton Distributions in PP collisions

Quote Quote by clem View Post
Neither the integrals nor the distributions of ubar and dbar are equal.
It was about the equality of u_sea with ubar_sea (on one hand, and on the other hand d_sea with dbar_sea) if I understand the question.
philip041
May9-09, 02:31 PM
P: 107
Lol I'm out my depth already, cheers for the replies but I think I will have to hunt my elusive lecturer down...
Vanadium 50
May10-09, 08:14 AM
Mentor
P: 16,182
Quote Quote by humanino View Post
It was about the equality of u_sea with ubar_sea (on one hand, and on the other hand d_sea with dbar_sea) if I understand the question.
Those aren't equal either, I'm afraid.
humanino
May10-09, 12:26 PM
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
Those aren't equal either, I'm afraid.
That's what I tried to convey in #2
hamster143
May10-09, 02:20 PM
P: 986
Can you give us the specific quote? I think there may be some misunderstanding here. It is an obvious consequence of CPT theorem that the spin-averaged pdf of the up-quark in proton is equal to the spin-averaged pdf of the antiup-quark in antiproton. And neither of them is small.

This quote "the quark antiquark collision is a very rare event because the antiquark has a small parton distribution function" might make sense in the context of trying to observe Z on a proton-proton collider. It is indeed rather unlikely to find an energetic antiquark inside a proton.
humanino
May10-09, 03:54 PM
Quote Quote by hamster143 View Post
If I CPT an up quark, I get an antiup, not a down.
hamster143
May10-09, 03:59 PM
P: 986
grr yes that's what I meant.

Register to reply