What is the significance of the newly discovered pentaquark at LHCb?

In summary, this is the most convincing evidence yet that pentaquark particles exist. We'll see which alternative interpretations come up in the next weeks.
ChrisVer said:
And how would you have 1.66 charge? or 0.66?
Quarks have fractional electric charge values of either 1⁄3 or 2⁄3 times the elementary charge ... so when you have 5 of them within this new 'proton' than what is the total charge or what are the individual charges ... I used those numbers more in a figuratively speaking sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think you could obtain a colorless bound state by just adding arbitrarily 5 quarks? (Try [itex]3 \otimes 3 \otimes 3 \otimes 3 \otimes 3[/itex])

ChrisVer said:
Do you think you could obtain a colorless bound state by just adding arbitrarily 5 quarks?

Oh, I didn't know if they were saying that the Pentaquark was 'colorless' ... it says in the article:

"The quarks could be tightly bound, or they could also be loosely bound in meson-baryon molecule, in which color-neutral meson and baryon feel a residual strong force similar to the one that binds nucleons together within nuclei. " http://lhcb-public.web.cern.ch/lhcb-public/Welcome.html#Penta

Pc_particleLHCb_s.png
Pc_moleculeLHCb_s.png

Edit: But thus that mean that the positive proton charge is just 1 when it is colorless even with 5 quarks, just like a normal proton with only 3 quarks?

even in that case (which OK somehow tells you that it's colorless since it implies [itex]3 \otimes 3 \otimes 3 \otimes 3 \otimes \bar{3}[/itex]) how would you add the charges of a hadron and meson (none has fractional charge) to obtain fractional total charge in the end? :smile: I hope this helped.

PS. But it can have more positive charge, like +2...

ChrisVer said:
even in that case (which OK somehow tells you that it's colorless since it implies [itex]3 \otimes 3 \otimes 3 \otimes 3 \otimes \bar{3}[/itex]) how would you add the charges of a hadron and meson (none has fractional charge) to obtain fractional total charge in the end? :smile: I hope this helped.

I don't know ... those numbers were more to ask the question ... see the edit that I added:

"... thus that mean that the positive proton charge is just 1 when it is colorless even with 5 quarks, just like a normal proton with only 3 quarks?"

It also comes down to a previous question and mfb's reply where he says that it would act just like a 'regular' proton.

It has to be color-neutral to be a hadron. This also implies that it has to have an integer charge. The discovered particle has a charge of 1 (or -1 for its antiparticle).

Are you asking about elastic collisions via the electromagnetic interaction? Those are independent of the substructure of the hadron, that should be obvious.

Michel_vdg said:
"... thus that mean that the positive proton charge is just 1 when it is colorless even with 5 quarks, just like a normal proton with only 3 quarks?"

I may be misinterpreting your question, but as I mentioned you can have other charges too...
In the case of the discovered particle [itex] u u d \bar{c}c[/itex] this happens to be a +1 charged particle.
I don't see the reason why the [itex] u u d \bar{c} s[/itex] cannot exist (which would have a charge 0)

As for the 5 quarks, I wouldn't call it similar to proton (or a proton excited state)... it's a little different.