Register to reply

Reccomend a good Graphing Calculator

by um0123
Tags: calculator, graphing, reccomend
Share this thread:
um0123
Jul19-09, 07:06 PM
P: 146
Well, i felt ambitious and signed up for Honors Precalculus. I think i will be fine considering i love math and physics, but i need a good graphing calculator. Around $100-150 if possible. And it would be nice if it had normal physics and math constants in it (since i am also taking physics next year).

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Pinu7
Jul19-09, 08:54 PM
P: 270
You don't need a graphing calculator for anything you may be doing.

A scientific calculator is good enough(unless you want to play Mario kart on it. That is mainly what I use my graphing Calculator for).

Physics contents? You mean like scientific constants? Most scientific/graphing calculators have them.

If you mean programs, you need computer software(MATLAB, Mathematica,etc.) but they are much more expensive than what you could afford.
um0123
Jul19-09, 10:00 PM
P: 146
I wont? It seems like everyone in my school at the precalculus level has one...
Can you still reccomend some? I want to be prepared and im sure it would be good to have in my senior year.
I dont mean programs, because i would need to take this to school. Plus we have a lot of those programs on my school computers.

Wellesley
Jul20-09, 09:06 PM
P: 276
Reccomend a good Graphing Calculator

Quote Quote by um0123 View Post
Can you still reccomend some? I want to be prepared and im sure it would be good to have in my senior year.
I dont mean programs, because i would need to take this to school. Plus we have a lot of those programs on my school computers.
You don't really need one until you reach Calculus. At that point needing to know how to graph e-t*sin3t by hand isn't that vital....knowing what to do with the function's graph is.

If you really are looking for a comprehensive calculator try the TI-89 (Titanium) or HP 50G. I have the TI, and I can vouch for it from personal experience, but I'm sure the HP is fine as well.
Pinu7
Jul20-09, 11:37 PM
Wellesley, (e^-t)*sin 3t is fairly easy to graph by hand by letting e^-t be the "amplitude".

Quote Quote by um0123 View Post
TI Nspire, TI-84+(it's a bit cheaper), HP 50g, Voyage 200( which is like $200, but the best one on the list).

Also if you are REALLY interested in math/physics, then you could get Mathematica (It's like $300. But It's fun to play with.)
Wellesley
Jul21-09, 09:00 AM
P: 276
Quote Quote by Pinu7 View Post
Wellesley, (e^-t)*sin 3t is fairly easy to graph by hand by letting e^-t be the "amplitude".
I was just using it as an example. You can pick another function that is more difficult, ti doesn't really matter. That one came to mind from a Differential Equations test that I took recently.
symbolipoint
Jul21-09, 08:49 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,796
TI-83+ or TI-84. Good deals always are offered during "Going Back To School" time.

You don't really need graphing calculators in Pre-Calculus or College Algebra, but they can be very nice for checking some of your work.
Pinu7
Jul22-09, 08:12 PM
I forgot, the Casio ClassPad 300, is probably the coolest graphing calculator! It uses a touchscreen!

Edit: If you get it, make sure you get the "plus" version.

Register to reply