Transforming Y-axis table values into a separate formula?

In summary, the graph depicts the velocity vs time for an object traveling at a constant 10,000 kilometers per second.
Sabertooth
Homework Statement
Hoping to get some help with the details of Special Relativity in Accelerating frames of reference.
Relevant Equations
Integrals, Graphing, Velocity. Time dilation factor.
Hey everyone, I have generated a nice little velocity vs time graph that I would love if somebody could help me put to use.
I have marked data points on the x-axis for the Y-value for every second on the function.

Just to be clear: X-axis = time in seconds & Y-axis = velocity in meters/second. We have a constant acceleration.
phys.png

I have also made an integral of the function, calculating the total area under the curve to be exactly 4.999993*10^9

However, since the 100 data points on the table would be quite tedious to manually apply the time dilation to √1-v^2/c^2 for every seconds at the different velocities. I have wondered whether there is a way to insert the values in my table directly into a calculus such that I retrieve the accumulated amount of time dilation over the 100 second journey depicted on the graph. I think there should be a way integrate these values with the Time dilation factor, even if we have to assume that we travel in constant motion, that increase every second.
Thanks in advance:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You draw the graph
[tex]v=at[/tex]
where a = 10^6 km/s^2, right?
and you get the value of
[tex]x=1/2 \ at^2[/tex].
These are Newtonian mechanics.

Then I do not understand your scenario to relate this with [tex]\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}[/tex] of relativity? What situation you are thinking ?

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
You draw the graph
[tex]v=at[/tex]
where a = 10^6 km/s^2, right?
and you get the value of
[tex]x=1/2 \ at^2[/tex].
These are Newtonian mechanics.

Then I do not understand your scenario to relate this with [tex]\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}[/tex] of relativity? What situation you are thinking ?

I want to transform every velocity in the table, into the formula: [tex]\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}[/tex]for 1 second each, then sum them all up to get a good approximation of the total amount of time dilation during this 100 second acceleration. You cannot use Newtonian mechanics, since the Lorentz transformation gets exponentially larger at higher velocities according to special relativity.

There must be somehow, in excel, word or otherwise. To take all these y(velocity) values and plug them all into the formula simultaneously. Or a calculus trick to sum the total amount of time dilation occurring over all these t-intervals.

So for example, at second 1, my velocity is 1 000 000 m/s, at second 2 my velocity is 2 000 000 etc.

For every single time interval I want to plug in my y-values into the formula: [tex]\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}[/tex] where we insert our 100 different y-values as the v^2 component.

So correspondence
time:speed:time dilation rate is
t : at : ##\sqrt{1-\frac{a^2t^2}{c^2}}##

The y-t graph y= ##\sqrt{1-\frac{a^2t^2}{c^2}}## would be what you want. Area under the graph

[tex]\int_0^T \sqrt{1-\frac{a^2t^2}{c^2}} dt < T [/tex]

is the time reading of the moving clock when time T in the Earth frame of reference.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
So correspondence

The graph y= ##\sqrt{1-\frac{a^2t^2}{c^2}}## would be what you want. Area under the graph

[tex]\int_0^T \sqrt{1-\frac{a^2t^2}{c^2}} dt[/tex]

is the time reading of the moving clock when time T in the Earth frame of reference.

The graph shows t in stationary observer time, so that when we plug in the velocities into the formula we should get a lower value t' for the spaceship.

anuttarasammyak said:
So correspondence

The y-t graph y= ##\sqrt{1-\frac{a^2t^2}{c^2}}## would be what you want. Area under the graph

[tex]\int_0^T \sqrt{1-\frac{a^2t^2}{c^2}} dt < T [/tex]

Wow, seems like it worked perfectly. Thanks! I'm getting two different values, depending on whether I square a & x separately. Not sure which one of these is correct and why - however it would be easy to estimate which approach is correct. That's awesome, been spending a bunch of hours on this and you were the saving grace.
calc1.png

calc2.png

Take a look at dimension of the form
[tex]\sqrt{1-X^2}[/tex]
1 is dimensionless. As well X = Z/c should be dimensionless.

anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\sqrt{1-X^2}[/tex]

Just found something amazing with this approach, assuming a constant increase in velocity like depicted above, which goes directly to C over 100 seconds. (impossible scenario admittedly) This equation dictates that the minimum t value is equal to exactly t````````'= ((π/4)*100) seconds

anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\sqrt{1-X^2}[/tex]

Am I correct in assuming that acceleration and kinetic energy values under the circumstances given in the graph above would transform to the inverse gamma(γ) formula ?

Last edited:

1. How do I transform Y-axis table values into a separate formula?

To transform Y-axis table values into a separate formula, you will need to first determine the relationship between the X and Y values. This can be done by plotting the points on a graph and looking for patterns or using statistical methods. Once you have determined the relationship, you can create a formula using the appropriate mathematical operations.

2. Can I use any type of formula to transform Y-axis table values?

The type of formula you use will depend on the relationship between the X and Y values. Some common types of formulas used for transforming Y-axis table values include linear, exponential, and quadratic equations. It is important to choose the appropriate formula for the data you are working with.

3. Do I need to use all the data points from the Y-axis table to create a formula?

No, you do not need to use all the data points from the Y-axis table to create a formula. In fact, using too many data points can result in a more complex formula that may not accurately represent the relationship between the X and Y values. It is important to select a representative sample of data points to create a simpler and more accurate formula.

4. Can I use a computer program to transform Y-axis table values into a formula?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages available that can help you transform Y-axis table values into a formula. These programs use mathematical algorithms to analyze the data and determine the best fitting formula. However, it is still important to understand the relationship between the X and Y values and the process of creating a formula.

5. How can I check if my formula accurately represents the Y-axis table values?

To check if your formula accurately represents the Y-axis table values, you can plug in the X values from the table into the formula and compare the resulting Y values to the original data. If there are significant differences, you may need to adjust your formula or consider using a different type of formula. Additionally, you can also plot the formula on a graph and compare it to the original data points to visually assess its accuracy.