Register to reply

What soft compressible materials safely work with wiring

by beachbumz123
Tags: compressible, gel, material, soft, wiring
Share this thread:
beachbumz123
Aug18-09, 12:52 PM
P: 1
Hello I am a student working on at home project and I need help on choosing a compressible, soft material that works safely with wiring and electricity. The kind of material I need is something that is compressible and soft, sort of like a foam or gel heal pad that people put in their shoe. The wiring through the material is going to attach to a base plate. If anyone could help list out some safe soft compressible materials that put little pressure on the objects it is between that would be wonderful.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Identifying long-distance threats: New 3D technology could improve CCTV images
Intelligent system that predicts when alarms might be triggered could greatly improve the management of industrial plant
3D printed nose wins design award
vk6kro
Aug18-09, 11:27 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,032
Latex (rubber) foam or polystyrene foam would be OK.

Just avoid the stuff that integrated circuits come in. This is deliberately conductive to avoid static charges.
berkeman
Aug19-09, 12:41 AM
Mentor
P: 41,041
Quote Quote by beachbumz123 View Post
Hello I am a student working on at home project and I need help on choosing a compressible, soft material that works safely with wiring and electricity. The kind of material I need is something that is compressible and soft, sort of like a foam or gel heal pad that people put in their shoe. The wiring through the material is going to attach to a base plate. If anyone could help list out some safe soft compressible materials that put little pressure on the objects it is between that would be wonderful.

Thanks
As long as the wires are not getting hot, then most soft materials would work. Could you describe your project in more detail please?

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

Danger
Aug19-09, 01:23 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
What soft compressible materials safely work with wiring

I agree with Berkeman in regard to both the welcome and the fact that more information would be helpful. The type of material will be best determined by the application. Silicone sealant can be effective, but I suspect is a little too rigid for your purpose. Latex is great, but so can be polystyrene foam, a household sponge, or multiple other materials.

Register to reply