What materials are safe in a microwave?

In summary, S is carrying out some tests using the laser image transfer method, where the image of a circuit is put on a PCB as an acid resist, so leaving the circuit in copper. He is trying different methods of heating, this time he wants to test microwaves. However, he has found that metalized board material in the microwave is bad for the oven on two scores: first, metal in a microwave (no-no), second no absorptive material (empty ovens are also a no-no).
camerart
Hi,
I am carrying out some tests using the laser image transfer method, where the image of a circuit is put on a PCB as an acid resist, so leaving the circuit in copper. My thread PCB by Laser transfer.

My method is a 'sandwich' of two stiff plates app 110x160mm bolted at the edges. PLATE-SILICON SHEET-IMAGE-PCB-IMAGE-SILICON-PLATE. The plates need to compress the silicon enough to give even pressure to the image, and be able to withstand heat up to perhaps 250C.

I am trying different methods of heating, this time I want to test microwaves. I've tried it with plastic and rubber bands, the band snapped and the plastic melted, but it worked. So now I need a better approach. (No metal)
Any suggestions, for materials for this. Obviously I don't want dangerous fumes.
Camerart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Glass? Too hot perhaps. No - just looked it up. 550 Celcius for cheap glass.

sophiecentaur said:
Glass? Too hot perhaps. No - just looked it up. 550 Celcius for cheap glass.
Hi S,
Glass is a possibility, although for clamping it would be better to have a material that could be drilled. I know Pyrex is oven proof, but I'm not sure about plate glass or house glass/
C.

Glass is drillable if you get the right stuff. Contact a supplier? Tell them your requirements.

sophiecentaur said:
Glass is drillable if you get the right stuff. Contact a supplier? Tell them your requirements.
Hi S,
I had just looking up diamond glass drills, then I got the idea of terracotta tiles.
Guess what I was cutting yesterday? A/Terracotta tiles. I'll test these out first.
Thanks, C.

Cheap too!

Wait, you're putting metalized board material in your microwave? Bad for the oven on two scores: first, metal in a microwave (no-no), second no absorptive material (empty ovens are also a no-no).

marcusl said:
Wait, you're putting metalized board material in your microwave? Bad for the oven on two scores: first, metal in a microwave (no-no), second no absorptive material (empty ovens are also a no-no).
Hi M,
Ok, that answers my question, thanks.
Microwave idea gone!
C.

1. Can I put metal in the microwave?

No, metal is not safe to put in the microwave. Metal can cause sparks and potentially start a fire due to its reflective properties. It can also damage the microwave itself.

2. Is it safe to microwave plastic?

It depends on the type of plastic. Only microwave-safe plastic containers that are labeled as such should be used in the microwave. Other types of plastic may melt or release harmful chemicals into your food.

3. Can I microwave paper or cardboard?

Yes, as long as the paper or cardboard is plain and does not have any metallic or plastic coatings. These can cause sparks and potentially start a fire.

4. Are ceramic dishes safe to use in the microwave?

Most ceramic dishes are safe to use in the microwave. However, some may contain metallic elements that can cause sparks. It is best to check the label or test it with a small amount of water before using it in the microwave.

5. Can I put Styrofoam in the microwave?

No, Styrofoam should not be used in the microwave. It can melt and release harmful chemicals into your food. Look for microwave-safe alternatives made from paper or glass.