Finding Material for Rib Pad: Tough, Waterproof, Salt-Resistant

• Thread starter DavidG25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the poster has a protruding rib that makes it uncomfortable to lay on a surfboard. They are looking for a material to make a pad that will relieve pressure on the rib. The material needs to be tough, waterproof, and resistant to corrosion. The poster is considering using a moldable material and attaching the pad to themselves using tape or glue. Some suggestions for materials include rubber, foam, and felt. There are also options for casting a custom pad using products specifically designed for life casting.
DavidG25
Background
I broke my rib a few years ago. It healed in a way that it sticks out a little past the end of my rib-cage. I want to learn to surf, but it is uncomfortable to lay on my stomach on the board because of the rib. I would like to make a pad to relieve pressure on the rib that sticks out.

I think a moldable material would give the best fit. It needs to be tough, waterproof, and resistant to corrosion by salt. I am imagining some sort of rubber.

I plan to tape or glue this pad to my ribs. A quick internet search found that actors use a variety of glues for glueing things like elf-ears and mustaches to themselves.

Question
What are some options for a material that would make a good pad for my ribs? It cannot be too soft, because it won't provide enough support, but it also cannot be too hard.

First time poster. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

That's an interesting and unique equation.

I don't have a material suggestion. But if the board was molded to your body, it might be difficult to position your body to exactly the right place. I would wear the molded pad like clothing and use a standard board.

Welcome to the PF.

Are you talking about making a pad that you attach to the surfboard, or one that you wear?

Also, how cold is the water where you are learning? The ocean in Northern California is cold enough that surfers wear thin wetsuits, but in Hawaii, those are not needed... :smile:

I plan to attach the pad to myself. I think a slippery coating on top of the pad would let it slide inside the wetsuit.

I am in the pacific northwest, and the water is about 50 degrees. I wore a 5/4/3 wetsuit, but it did not provide enough padding. My rib was quite sore after a session of a few hours.

How about affixing a foam ring inside the wetsuit that goes around the rib? That would protect it, and spread out the contact area so hopefully it's comfortable to lay on. Kind of like we do when dressing blisters with moleskin...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UXFqwgv-iag/maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 562
Some kind of felt, I think. Here's the whole YouTube video...

A ring of several layers of closed cell foam seems good. Yoga mats are a readily available source of the stuff.

Likes DavidG25 and berkeman
Perhaps something here would be useful to cast over the rib area.
https://www.polytek.com/product-type/casting-foam/

Be sure to check the fumes, and casting times.

there is also the life casting sub-section
https://www.polytek.com/application/life-casting

1. What materials are commonly used for rib pads?

Some common materials used for rib pads include foam, neoprene, silicone, and rubber.

2. What makes a material tough enough for rib pads?

A material that is considered tough enough for rib pads needs to have a high resistance to impact and abrasion. It should also be able to withstand repeated use without tearing or breaking.

3. Is it important for the material to be waterproof?

Yes, it is important for the material to be waterproof as rib pads are often used in wet environments, such as during water sports or in rainy weather.

4. How can a material be made salt-resistant?

A material can be made salt-resistant by either using a salt-resistant coating or by using a salt-resistant material, such as silicone or rubber, in the construction of the rib pad.

5. Are there any other qualities that the material should have for rib pads?

In addition to being tough, waterproof, and salt-resistant, the material should also be lightweight, flexible, and comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Back