Can Small Amounts of Chemicals Lower Water's Boiling Point?

In summary: So it would not be practical to use such methods to significantly lower the boiling point of water. In summary, the question of whether there is a catalyst or substance that can lower the boiling point of water depends on the definition of "water" and what is meant by "lowering". In general, it is difficult to significantly lower the boiling point of water with small amounts of chemicals, as shown by the data on azeotropes. It may be possible to lower the boiling point slightly by removing some ions from tap water, but this would depend on the initial concentrations and would not result in a significant decrease.
Blenton
Is there any catalyst or substance that can do this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A lot depends on what you mean by "water". Obviously you are ready to accepts some mixture - vodka is such a mixture, and it boils at much lower temperature.

That is assuming by "lowing" you meant "lowering".

So short question, so many meanings :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm I seem to remember that in my time the boiling point was defined as the boiling temperature of the pure liquid at one atmosphere (or sea level). But it seems to be defined as the normal boiling point now

Any fluid boils at reduced temperatures at reduced ambient pressure. That limited us from flying above 62.000 feet, then blood starts to boil.

I suppose the question is meant to be understood as "lower boiling point after something has been added all other things being equal". But it is as vague as a question can be.

Andre said:
Hmmm I seem to remember that in my time the boiling point was defined as the boiling temperature of the pure liquid at one atmosphere (or sea level).

I think you have just forgot that part about "normal" or "standard" - after all, boiling point was always pressure dependent :wink:

As Borek wrote, is impossible to lower the BP of water without significant amounts of another chemical (so, "catalythic" amounts are excluded).
Here there are some values of BP of mixes water + other liquid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope_(data )

From these data you see how is difficult to lower the BP of water: if you want to use little amounts of chemicals, you could, e.g. use 9% benzyl alcohol, but the BP lowers of 0.1°C only.; or you could use cyclohexanol and you lower the BP of 2.2°C, but you have to use at at 20%...

Note that many substances will not lower, but raise the boiling point; that depends on the vapor pressure of the substance.

If you mean regular tap water, I would imagine that removing some of the ions (Ca2+, Mg2+, etc.) would lower the boiling temperature slightly because of colligative properties. You can do this with a Brita filter, but the boiling point depression depends on the initial concentrations of the ions in this case. I'm pretty sure this isn't what OP meant though.

Hmm yes it was what I thought. It would probably against conservation of energy unless for some instance energy going into boiling water was wasted by a large degree.

I suppose the question is meant to be understood as "lower boiling point after something has been added all other things being equal". But it is as vague as a question can be.

Sorry I didn't notice the title, my meaning of Lowering the boiling point of water.

As Borek wrote, is impossible to lower the BP of water without significant amounts of another chemical (so, "catalythic" amounts are excluded).
Here there are some values of BP of mixes water + other liquid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope_(data )

From these data you see how is difficult to lower the BP of water: if you want to use little amounts of chemicals, you could, e.g. use 9% benzyl alcohol, but the BP lowers of 0.1°C only.; or you could use cyclohexanol and you lower the BP of 2.2°C, but you have to use at at 20%...

Interesting, but it does seem that for such a large quantity only a small gain is achieved.

1. What is the boiling point of water?

The boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level. This is the temperature at which water changes from a liquid to a gas state.

2. How can you lower the boiling point of water?

The boiling point of water can be lowered by increasing the surrounding pressure or by adding substances such as salt or sugar to the water. These substances disrupt the hydrogen bonds between water molecules, making it easier for them to break apart and boil at a lower temperature.

3. Why would you want to lower the boiling point of water?

Lowering the boiling point of water can be useful in various applications, such as cooking, where lower temperatures are needed for certain recipes. It can also be beneficial in industrial processes, where lower boiling points can save energy and reduce costs.

4. What are the effects of lowering the boiling point of water?

Lowering the boiling point of water can lead to a faster boiling process, as it takes less energy to reach the lower temperature. However, it can also affect the taste and texture of food, as lower temperatures may not be hot enough to fully cook certain ingredients. In industrial processes, it can impact the efficiency and quality of the final product.

5. Can the boiling point of water be lowered indefinitely?

No, the boiling point of water cannot be lowered indefinitely. At a certain point, the added substances will reach their maximum effect on lowering the boiling point. Additionally, if the surrounding pressure is increased too much, the water may turn into a solid state before reaching the boiling point.