Effect of impurities on the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate

In summary: I do not have enough information to say for sure. I do not think it is because of an azeotrope though.
Daniel2244
After carrying out reflux and distillation to produce ethyl ethanoate (ethyl acetate) I measured the boiling point and I got 71 degrees Celsius whereas the true value is 77.1 degrees Celsius. Impurities increase the Boiling point (BP) as well as concentration. However my calculates BP is lower than the true value so what is affecting the boiling point?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Daniel2244 said:
After carrying out reflux and distillation to produce ethyl ethanoate (ethyl acetate) I measured the boiling point and I got 71 degrees Celsius whereas the true value is 77.1 degrees Celsius. Impurities increase the Boiling point (BP) as well as concentration. However my calculates BP is lower than the true value so what is affecting the boiling point?
Maybe an Azeotrope?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope

Likes HAYAO
Daniel2244 said:
Impurities increase the Boiling point

Nope, that's not true. Impurities with a volatility lower than the main component increase the boiling point.

Likes HAYAO and DrDu
Borek said:
Nope, that's not true. Impurities with a volatility lower than the main component increase the boiling point.
Yeah, that makes more sense. However, is the reason my boiling point is lower than the true value because of an azeotrope?

Daniel2244 said:
Yeah, that makes more sense. However, is the reason my boiling point is lower than the true value because of an azeotrope?
Not necessarily. However, if it is not, the boiling point should not be constant, but rise in the course of the distillation as the more volatile substance will boil off first.

Likes HAYAO
You should also mention what the main component is. Ethyl acetate forms azeotrope with several liquid, e.g. water, methanol, ethanol, acetonitrile.

DrDu said:
Not necessarily. However, if it is not, the boiling point should not be constant, but rise in the course of the distillation as the more volatile substance will boil off first.
Could you explain differently because I do not understand

Boiling temperature of the mixture is never constant, it always goes up during the distillation.

Borek said:
Boiling temperature of the mixture is never constant, it always goes up during the distillation.
So essentially could I say: the ethyl acetate I made has a lower BP then the true value which shows it contains impurities. The ethyl acetate contains an azeotrope for example water or un-reacted ethanol which is more volatile than ethyl acetate which causes the Bp to decrease . I'm not sure if this is correct or not, the research I am doing only tells me why the bp increase whereas I'm look for why my bp is lower then the true value.

Daniel2244 said:
So essentially could I say: the ethyl acetate I made has a lower BP then the true value which shows it contains impurities. The ethyl acetate contains an azeotrope for example water or un-reacted ethanol which is more volatile than ethyl acetate which causes the Bp to decrease . I'm not sure if this is correct or not, the research I am doing only tells me why the bp increase whereas I'm look for why my bp is lower then the true value.

Ethyl acetate is more volatile than water or ethanol.

HAYAO said:
Ethyl acetate is more volatile than water or ethanol.
So why is my boiling point lower than the true. I know you're probably annoyed with me keep asking but I do not understand why my BP is lower.

So far I have gathered that, Impurities that are less volatile than the main component in my case (ethyl ethanoate) increases the boiling point. So, impurities which are more volatile than ethyl ethanoate will decrease the boiling point?

Last edited:
Daniel2244 said:
So why is my boiling point lower than the true.

You are overthinking. DrDu and Borek are simply stating the general idea for you to understand the underlying concepts, so that it will help you draw out conclusions based on those concepts.

The general idea is that low-volatile impurity will raise the boiling point of the mixture, as Borek said.
Another general idea is that there are positive and negative azeotropes, which means the boiling point of the mixture at the azeotrope composition is lower or higher than any of the component alone, as implicitly stated by DrDu.

What do you think is the contributing factor for your case, based on your obtained experimental results?
I know you're probably annoyed with me keep asking but I do not understand why my BP is lower
I'm not annoyed :smile:, and most likely neither are everyone else.

HAYAO said:
You are overthinking. DrDu and Borek are simply stating the general idea for you to understand the underlying concepts, so that it will help you draw out conclusions based on those concepts.

The general idea is that low-volatile impurity will raise the boiling point of the mixture, as Borek said.
Another general idea is that there are positive and negative azeotropes, which means the boiling point of the mixture at the azeotrope composition is lower or higher than any of the component alone, as implicitly stated by DrDu.

What do you think is the contributing factor for your case, based on your obtained experimental results?
I'm not annoyed :smile:, and most likely neither are everyone else.
Well, due to my temperature being lower than true value I believe it is a positive azeotrope because the boiling point is lower than the constituents. If I am right the new interaction between ethyl acetate and water are weaker and can escape into vapour easier. But it still doesn't explain how impurity affects the bp.

Would un-reacted chemicals affect the boiling point such as un-reacted ethanoic acids or ethanol? just curious due to water being immiscible with ethyl acetate

Daniel2244 said:
Would un-reacted chemicals affect the boiling point such as un-reacted ethanoic acids or ethanol?

Sure thing.

Borek said:
Sure thing.
Ok, so could I say impurities such as unreacted chemicals would have caused my decrease in temperature due to different volatility of ethonal and ethanoic acids. Additionally, they could be an positive azeotrope in the ethyl acetate I produced which also causes the Bp to decrease due to weaker interactions between molecules therefore vapor can escape more easily.

Daniel2244 said:
Well, due to my temperature being lower than true value I believe it is a positive azeotrope because the boiling point is lower than the constituents. If I am right the new interaction between ethyl acetate and water are weaker and can escape into vapour easier. But it still doesn't explain how impurity affects the bp.
At this point, I don't know how you define "impurity". Since you are talking about distillation of ethyl acetate, even ethanol and water in this distilled ethyl acetate are impurities.

Would un-reacted chemicals affect the boiling point such as un-reacted ethanoic acids or ethanol?
Like Borek said, yes.

just curious due to water being immiscible with ethyl acetate
Very good point. The mixture have two layers. However, having two layers does not mean that each layer is completely pure in composition. The upper layer is ethyl acetate rich, and the lower layer is water rich. As an azeotrope, upper and lower layer contain 97 wt% and 9 wt% of ethyl acetate, respectively (Azeotrope Tables by Wikipedia).

Daniel2244 said:
Ok, so could I say impurities such as unreacted chemicals would have caused my decrease in temperature due to different volatility of ethonal and ethanoic acids. Additionally, they could be an positive azeotrope in the ethyl acetate I produced which also causes the Bp to decrease due to weaker interactions between molecules therefore vapor can escape more easily.
If the impurity(ies) has lower volatility than ethyl acetate then the bp rises, generally speaking. However, positive azeotrope causes bp to lower. In this particular case, the latter is the main contribution over the former.

Likes Daniel2244
My preferred hypothesis is an azeotrope with water. You could check drying your liquid with e.g. a molecular sieve and re-measuring its boiling point.

Likes Daniel2244 and HAYAO
HAYAO said:
At this point, I don't know how you define "impurity". Since you are talking about distillation of ethyl acetate, even ethanol and water in this distilled ethyl acetate are impurities.Like Borek said, yes.Very good point. The mixture have two layers. However, having two layers does not mean that each layer is completely pure in composition. The upper layer is ethyl acetate rich, and the lower layer is water rich. As an azeotrope, upper and lower layer contain 97 wt% and 9 wt% of ethyl acetate, respectively (Azeotrope Tables by Wikipedia).If the impurity(ies) has lower volatility than ethyl acetate then the bp rises, generally speaking. However, positive azeotrope causes bp to lower. In this particular case, the latter is the main contribution over the former.
DrDu said:
My preferred hypothesis is an azeotrope with water. You could check drying your liquid with e.g. a molecular sieve and re-measuring its boiling point.

Thanks for the help :)

1. How do impurities affect the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate?

Impurities in a substance can disrupt the attractive forces between molecules, causing them to require more energy to break apart and reach the boiling point. This results in a higher boiling point for impure ethyl ethanoate compared to pure ethyl ethanoate.

2. What types of impurities can affect the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate?

Common impurities that can affect the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate include water, acids, bases, and other organic compounds. These impurities can be introduced during the manufacturing process or through contamination during storage.

3. How do impurities affect the accuracy of boiling point measurements?

Impurities can cause variations in the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate, making it difficult to accurately measure. This can lead to errors in experiments and affect the overall results and conclusions.

4. Can impurities lower the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate?

In rare cases, impurities may lower the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate if they have a lower boiling point or if they form azeotropes with ethyl ethanoate. However, in most cases, impurities will increase the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate.

5. How can the effect of impurities on the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate be minimized?

To minimize the effect of impurities on the boiling point of ethyl ethanoate, it is important to use pure ethyl ethanoate and avoid any potential sources of contamination. Proper storage and handling of the substance can also help prevent introduction of impurities. Additionally, conducting multiple trials and averaging the results can help reduce the impact of impurities on the overall data.