by Ivan Seeking
Tags: astronomy, christmas, cosmology, gift, ideas
Ivan Seeking
Dec8-09, 02:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
I have a friend asking for ideas for an A or C oriented gift, including things that might be a bit of a scam, like having a star named after you. I know that you can buy land on the moon but that is expensive. Any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
turbo
Dec8-09, 03:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Star Vistas. It is a wonderful coffee-table book of astrophotography with forwords by Sir Arthur C. Clark, Sir Patrick Moore, and doctor Brian May (yes THAT Brian May). Greg Parker does the imaging and Noel Carboni does the image processing. They are both great guys, and they are tops at what they do. I am a member of a forum on which they give advanced views of their images, even while they are in progress, and their work is incredible.

Edit: They give interesting information about the objects that they image, and they keep the descriptions accurate, but within the reach of laymen.
darthoctopus
Dec10-09, 11:33 AM
P: 2
anything affordable? =\

turbo
Dec10-09, 12:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367

Astronomy or Cosmology Christmas gift ideas

$24 plus FREE S&H for a large art-book of astrophotos. I don't think I could get much cheaper than that for something relating to astronomy or cosmology.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Vistas-Co...0470396&sr=1-1
IMP
Dec10-09, 02:18 PM
P: 71
Maybe a Klein bottle made of glass?
http://www.kleinbottle.com/
Ivan Seeking
Dec10-09, 02:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Those have been passed along in addition to an offer for land on the moon, for $29 an acre.
Freeman Dyson
Dec11-09, 02:51 AM
P: 216
Don't they make some kind of models of planets and stars? That you put together yourself. May be kind of cheesey and childish but I might consider getting something like that for myself. A lot of the stuff seems to be for kids though.

You could also make a t shirt with some relevant slogan and design. Design it yourself or NASA has a space store with some items. You can also buy part of a meteorite from NASA for like $25 I think.
lincs-b
Dec11-09, 09:02 AM
P: 9
I really like these http://www.bathsheba.com/crystal/largescale/. I once saw one of saturn but can't find it now.
If not then like everyone else has said books or prints are always nice.
Freeman Dyson
Dec11-09, 10:10 AM
P: 216
This site has a lot.

http://scientificsonline.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_421182

i just googled astronomy gifts
Norman
Dec11-09, 10:33 AM
P: 922
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Those have been passed along in addition to an offer for land on the moon, for $29 an acre.
HA! I bought all my groomsmen an acre as a present for standing in my wedding with me.

Other ideas:

The Universe (DVD) - From the history channel. I saw the first season for $30 somewhere last weekend.

Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 Binoculars with Tripod Adapter - currently $49.99 ($50 off) at Amazon right now.

Understanding Cosmology (book) - a little book put out by Scientific American I believe. It was accessible at an advanced High school / undergrad level I thought.

Register to reply