Measuring distance between two stars in a binary system

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the distance between two stars in a binary system using trigonometry. The concept of angular separation and its relationship to physical distance is explored, along with the confusion surrounding how to draw a diagram to understand the trigonometry involved. The conversation also touches on the importance of the center of mass in the calculation and the use of parallax to measure distances. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities and challenges of accurately determining the distance between stars in a binary system.
TheCelt
Hello

I am trying to teach myself some basic maths for astronomy from a book, namely trying to calculate the distance between two stars in a binary system.

One thing i am confused with is what angular separation means and how it can be translated to true physical distance between them using trigonometry. I am trying to visualise it but its a bit confusing at the moment. The book did not explain it as it seems to have presumed i already understood this.

Firstly what does it mean for each star to have an angular separation from centre of mass, eg if star A has 5 arcsec and star B has 10 arcsec what are these angles relative to? And if you know the distance D of the system from Earth, i presume trigonometry can be done to solve it but i am struggling to visualise how to draw it out to do the trigonometry for it at the moment.

I made a drawing to show the setup of what i think it might mean:

1600740363958.png

When they say angular separation from COM is this correct thinking? If so how are they defining the angle? What constitutes the 0 arcsec line, what counts as the positive x-axis in space i guess is what I am asking.

Secondly from that i do not understand how you might calculate the physical separation distance between the two stars (white line magnitude). Mainly because i am confused by the angle situation.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
CoM has to be between the two stars of a binary pair, but probably not half way.
So the angle for each is going to be the deviation from that point. The line from you to the CoM is the arcsec line. A star with half the mass of the other will have twice the angular separation at any given moment, but the angular separation between the stars will change over the course of their orbit, possibly dropping to zero if you're on their orbital plane. The physical distance between them will also be changing as orbits are rarely perfectly circular.

Distance from you to the binary pair isn't trivial to figure out. Usually for something nearby, parallax is used to measure distances, but it only works so far.

Likes PeroK
Halc said:
CoM has to be between the two stars of a binary pair, but probably not half way.
So the angle for each is going to be the deviation from that point. The line from you to the CoM is the arcsec line. A star with half the mass of the other will have twice the angular separation at any given moment, but the angular separation between the stars will change over the course of their orbit, possibly dropping to zero if you're on their orbital plane. The physical distance between them will also be changing as orbits are rarely perfectly circular.

Distance from you to the binary pair isn't trivial to figure out. Usually for something nearby, parallax is used to measure distances, but it only works so far.

Thanks for the reply, the bit i am struggling with is how to draw the triangle as a diagram so i can understand the trig used to calculate it.

I refer to this question in my book which during the calculations it finds the separation of two stars (which is what i am trying to solve) and it uses tangent and multiplies it by the distance from Earth. But i can't visualise the triangle to understand why they use tangent or why multiply by the distance from Earth.

1600741657704.png

I also don't understand how that gives the distance from the center of mass.

The text there spells out the triangle pretty clearly: Earth, CoM, star1 is one triangle, Earth, CoM, star2 is the other. You know the length of one side (1.31 pc) so the tangent(measured angle) gives you the other (distance to star from CoM). The mass ratio here is about 6 to 5 respectively between the stars.

The text seems to indicate that the angular separation is constant, which is really rare. Maybe they mean the max angular separation, which gives a distance between the stars when they're equidistant from Earth.

Given their separation distance and orbital period, their respective masses can be computed.

Likes PeroK
Well the book simplifies things since its only introducing the subject and hasn't added the complexity of things moving.

I think i understand how to visualise it now but i think my trig is wrong because i seem to find using the sin function is required not the tan function, so i don't quite see why they use tan, unless i am still drawing it wrong?

1600743677883.png

You've still not got the COM on a straight line between the stars. Your right angles are in the wrong place, hence the confusion between sine and tangent.

TheCelt said:
Well the book simplifies things since its only introducing the subject and hasn't added the complexity of things moving.

If the stars are orbiting each other then they are moving!

PeroK said:
You've still not got the COM on a straight line between the stars. Your right angles are in the wrong place, hence the confusion between sine and tangent.

Well I couldn't visually work out how to draw it properly as I have said, i was not sure where the right angle would be, and its not clear to my why there would be one (see picture 2). I don't see why we draw them at right angle to the COM relative to the vector from Earth. Because after some time won't be they will be shifted slightly since as you mention - they are moving...

You seem to be saying the right angles go here like this:

1600760625027.png

But what if it's another moment in time since they are moving why wouldn't it be like this image below having no right angles at all?

1600760863255.png

Doesn't really make much sense to me why we include a right angle by default because i don't see a right angle in the second diagram.

That's why @Halc pointed out that we must be talking about the maximum angular separation.

Halc said:
The text seems to indicate that the angular separation is constant, which is really rare. Maybe they mean the max angular separation, which gives a distance between the stars when they're equidistant from Earth.

The maximum occurs when you have the right-angles at the COM in your diagram.

Likes Halc
PeroK said:
The maximum occurs when you have the right-angles at the COM in your diagram.
Not necessarily I think. It is true for a reasonably circular orbit. There are clues to computing actual orientations of orbits and thus maximum distances when the orbit is highly elliptical.
Take some of the stars orbiting Sgr-A:
stars1.jpg

I see S1 as a fairly circular orbit, despite S13 appearing to be more circular.
S8 has its minor axis (and possibly its major axis, hard to tell) nearly perpendicular to our field of view, so its maximum angular separation is actually a good measure of its actual distance.
S6, S14 and S27 are good examples where this is not the case. We're looking at their orbits fairly edge-on and the angle with our line of sight when these stars are at maximum angular separation is anything but a right angle.
S17 I think is the most circular of all of these, despite it appearing highly eccentric from our PoV. The angles here would be closer to right angles at points of maximum angular separation.

Likes PeroK
What does the acronym "CoM" stand for?

ADDED
Now I got it: Center of Mass.

1. How do scientists measure the distance between two stars in a binary system?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the distance between two stars in a binary system. One common method is parallax, which involves measuring the apparent shift in position of a star when viewed from different locations on Earth. Other methods include spectroscopic parallax, which uses the star's spectral characteristics to estimate its distance, and the use of standard candles, such as supernovae or Cepheid variable stars, which have known luminosities that can be used to calculate their distances.

2. Why is it important to accurately measure the distance between stars in a binary system?

Accurately measuring the distance between stars in a binary system is important for understanding the dynamics of the system and the physical properties of the stars. It can also provide insights into the formation and evolution of the system and the stars themselves. Additionally, accurate distance measurements are crucial for determining the overall size and scale of the universe.

3. Can the distance between two stars in a binary system change over time?

Yes, the distance between two stars in a binary system can change over time. This can be due to a variety of factors, such as the gravitational pull of other nearby stars or the transfer of mass between the two stars. However, these changes are typically very small and can only be detected through precise measurements over long periods of time.

4. How do scientists account for the motion of the stars when measuring the distance between them?

When measuring the distance between stars in a binary system, scientists must account for the motion of the stars. This is typically done by using specialized software and techniques to track the stars' movements over time and calculate their relative positions. By taking multiple measurements and accounting for the stars' motion, scientists can more accurately determine their distance.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring the distance between two stars in a binary system?

Yes, there are some limitations to measuring the distance between two stars in a binary system. One major limitation is the accuracy of the instruments and methods used. Small errors in measurements or assumptions can lead to significant discrepancies in distance calculations. Additionally, the distance between stars in very distant binary systems may be too great to accurately measure with current technology.