America History between 1877-1990. Need something science related.

by um0123
Tags: america, history, science
Brian_C
Feb24-10, 06:47 PM
P: 261
Quote Quote by um0123 View Post
yes, i have already thought about the manhatten project. The problem is, we literally JUST wrote a position paper on "was the dropping of the atomic bomb justified" which went into detail about how the development of nuclear warfare impacted america.

I would do something on relativity but that didn't really impact american culture and society. I mean even today the average american has no idea what the theory of relativity really means.
Aside from his letter to Roosevelt, Einstein had little to do with the Manhattan Project.
Evo
Feb24-10, 06:56 PM
Mentor
P: 25,959
Quote Quote by Chi Meson View Post
I second the suggestion of the LASER. Every disk player is itself proof, on so many levels, that what we know about the quantum model is correct.
The Laser is one of Bell Labs inventions. You wouldn't believe what came out of Bell Labs.

This link shows just some of the discoveries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Labs skip to Discoveries and developments

But don't forget that since the lab was split the part that went to AT&T has a huge amount of invention also http://www.corp.att.com/attlabs/about/backgrounder.html go to An Unsurpassed Record of Achievement
rootX
Feb24-10, 07:02 PM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by um0123 View Post
Also another important detial to this essay is not just what happened, but how it came to be. So for example instead of just "was the dropping of the atomic bomb justified" i would go into detail answering "how was the decision made" and such.

How would i include that into an essay on Bell Labs for example (which btw is a great idea, considering i have a teacher that worked there for 15 years and i can interview him).

Just pick three of their contributions/inventions = three paragraphs explaining how each contribution changed the American society

Thesis will be written once you decide which three you want to focus on and determine how those inventions contributed to the society/culture

Should better be reviewing your English course notes. I don't remember all the types of thesis, but some are like Cause, Effect.. Point 1, 2, 3, ...
ThomasEdison
Feb24-10, 07:29 PM
P: 109
The Transistor.
Jack21222
Feb24-10, 07:36 PM
P: 771
Here's another vote for something Tesla-related. Everybody hears about Edison, nobody knows about Tesla.
TheStatutoryApe
Feb24-10, 09:50 PM
P: 1,549
Quote Quote by Jack21222 View Post
Here's another vote for something Tesla-related. Everybody hears about Edison, nobody knows about Tesla.
Funny thing is I think that there are more people who know something about Tesla than know anything more about Edison than his name. Tesla is a rockstar among inventors.
Evo
Feb24-10, 09:55 PM
Mentor
P: 25,959
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
Funny thing is I think that there are more people who know something about Tesla than know anything more about Edison than his name. Tesla is a rockstar among inventors.
Actually Swan invented the lightbulb, Edison just bought the patent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan
TheStatutoryApe
Feb24-10, 10:46 PM
P: 1,549
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Actually Swan invented the lightbulb, Edison just bought the patent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan
I have admittedly never read a book specifically about Edison but from what I have read I would say that he was, first and foremost, a very shrewd businessman.
rewebster
Feb25-10, 08:55 AM
P: 880
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
I have admittedly never read a book specifically about Edison but from what I have read I would say that he was, first and foremost, a very shrewd businessman.
If I remember right, 'shrewd businessman' wasn't the way Tesla described him---more like a thief

steel and concrete construction--which allowed for 'skyscrapers' ----kind of a funny word in itself
leroyjenkens
Feb25-10, 10:33 AM
P: 528
Cars.
turbo
Feb25-10, 11:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
It's not science-related, but the development of modern forms of peanut butter happened early in your time-frame. It is a very popular food, and its popularity (along with the popularity of roasted nuts) helps drive peanut-farming in the South. George Washington Carver encouraged farmers to plant peanuts instead of cotton, or at least rotated with cotton because cotton depletes soil of nitrogen, and peanuts fix nitrogen in the soil.

Register to reply