Can anyone name this children's history of atomic science?

In summary, the conversation was about trying to find a specific children's book on atomic physics that the person had read as a child in the late 1970s or early 1980s. The book covered the history of atomic science, power, and weapons, with comic strips depicting some of the events. The person asked for help in identifying the book, but had already ruled out several possibilities. They also mentioned trying "name that book" forums and Amazon, but had not yet asked a librarian. The conversation ended with someone providing a link to a scanned version of a similar book, but it was not the one the person was searching for.
kiwi8mail
This has been bugging me for a year or so - sorry if this is off topic, but would anyone on the forum be able to name a book on atomic physics I read as a child?

It was a non-fiction, illustrated picture book I read as in the late 70's or very early 80's, giving the history of atomic science, atomic power and atomic weapons (from the ancient Greek scientists onwards).

Snippets of the history was presented as comic strips - that's the main details I remember. One comic strip from it that stands out was the panic over protecting the U-shaped building involved in the Manhattan project (the K-25 building) from aerial surveillance during WW2.

What also stands out in my mind, however, was the strangely ambivalently tone of the book - natural I suppose given the subject matter.

It was probably published in the latter half of the 1970's. I read it in New Zealand, and that probably means its more likely to be a book originating in the British book market rather than the North America book market (although it could of course been a British edition of a North American book).

Does anyone have any idea what book this could be called? I've done Google image searches of the most likely titles, but nothing has come up. I know that it's NOT:
- "Our Friend the Atom" - the Disney book of the film
- "Atoms: The Core of All Matter" by Jerry Korn
- "Hiroshima: The Story of the First Atom Bomb" by C. Lawton, or
- "Nuclear Energy (First Book)" by D.S. Halacy

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Children's Physics book

Have you tried the old How and Why series? There must be 100's of those.

Yes, I have looked at that too, and yes, they have one on "Atomic Energy", but that's 1966.

Thanks anyway.

Have you asked a librarian? They love these kinds of challenges.

I have enquired on two "name that book" forums with no luck.

I thought this forum would be possibly useful because, given the make-up of the membership, there is a good chance that somone would remember it.

Yes, but I think an actual librarian might be able to help. They have resources that we may not, like a 1975 edition of Books In Print.

1. What is the purpose of a children's history of atomic science?

The purpose of a children's history of atomic science is to introduce young readers to the basic concepts and history of atomic science in an age-appropriate and engaging manner. It aims to spark curiosity and interest in the topic and provide a foundation for further learning.

2. Who is the target audience for a children's history of atomic science?

The target audience for a children's history of atomic science is typically children between the ages of 8-12. However, it can also be suitable for older readers who are new to the topic and want a basic understanding of atomic science.

3. Is a children's history of atomic science scientifically accurate?

While a children's history of atomic science may simplify complex concepts for young readers, it should still be scientifically accurate. The information presented should be fact-checked and reviewed by experts in the field to ensure accuracy.

4. What topics are typically covered in a children's history of atomic science?

A children's history of atomic science may cover topics such as the discovery of atoms, atomic theory, atomic structure, and key scientists and their contributions to the field. It may also touch on applications of atomic science, such as nuclear energy and weapons.

5. Are there any recommended children's history of atomic science books?

There are many recommended children's history of atomic science books available, such as "The Story of Atomic Theory" by Sean Callery and "Atomic Adventures: Secret Islands, Forgotten N-Rays, and Isotopic Murder" by James Mahaffey. It is best to research and read reviews to find a book that is suitable for your child's age and interests.