Can a star be a black hole in one frame of reference but not in another?

In summary, two observers in different frames of reference observe a star with different properties. One observer sees the star as a black hole while the other does not. This seems to contradict the invariance of reality under Lorentz transformations. Further analysis is needed to understand this discrepancy.
luxiaolei
Hi,all, the problem is:

you and me observe a star, and the star moving with velocity V relative to me, and you are in the rest frame of the star.

Then in my frame of reference, I saw the star length contraction in the direction of its motion relative to me, hence its volume is smaller than its proper volume, and its mass is greater than its rest mass. Then I calculate its gravitational constant, say a.

And you calculate its gravitation constant as well, say you got a'

since i observe smaller volume and larger mass, so a>a'

if a just reach the limit that light can not escape from that star.

Then it will result in, In my frame, that star is a black hole, and in your frame, that star is Not.

however reality is invariant under lorentz transformation, so this can not be true, but where am I wrong??

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is on the http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/black_fast.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanadium 50 said:
The answer is on the http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/black_fast.html" .

@Vanadium; thanks for replay, however the link you gave only refer to the star become a black hole or not relative to an observer in its rest frame. My question is 2 different observer in two different frame of references, observes same star.
(btw, I don't quite understand under what condition one can form a black hole)
But thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of a black hole being relative?

A black hole being relative means that its properties and effects are dependent on the observer's frame of reference. This is due to the extreme warping of space-time near a black hole, leading to differences in perception for different observers.

2. Can the size of a black hole be relative?

Yes, the size of a black hole can be relative. This is because the size of a black hole is determined by its event horizon, which is the point of no return for anything that gets too close. However, the event horizon is perceived differently by different observers due to the effects of gravity on space-time.

3. How does the concept of relativity affect the gravitational pull of a black hole?

The concept of relativity plays a major role in the gravitational pull of a black hole. This is because the warping of space-time near a black hole is directly related to its gravitational pull. As different observers have different perceptions of space-time, their measurements of the gravitational pull of a black hole may vary.

4. Is the time dilation near a black hole relative?

Yes, time dilation near a black hole is relative. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time near an object with a strong gravitational pull, and this effect is more pronounced near a black hole. However, the extent of time dilation is dependent on the observer's frame of reference.

5. Can the spin of a black hole be relative?

Yes, the spin of a black hole can be relative. The spin or angular momentum of a black hole is determined by its mass and the amount of matter and energy falling into it. However, the perception of the spin may differ for different observers due to the effects of gravity on space-time.