Register to reply

Chloroplasts as organisms

by FireBones
Tags: chloroplasts, organisms
Share this thread:
FireBones
Mar20-10, 11:56 AM
P: 103
I know that most people believe that chloroplasts and mitochondria evolved in eukaryotic cells by endosymbiosis, but has there been any push (or even any discussion) on whether they should actually be considered independent organisms living in symbiosis with the cell?

They fulfill most (if not all) the criteria for a "living thing."

My efforts at research through google ran up against a brick wall since the keywords I thought of all led me to the endosymbiosis theory itself rather than the question of classification.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
From dandruff to deep sea vents, an ecologically hyper-diverse fungus
mazinse
Mar20-10, 04:30 PM
P: 190
They are not considered living organisms in present cells because they lost a lot of genes necessary to survive independently and need host proteins to perform functions for them
FireBones
Mar20-10, 06:18 PM
P: 103
Quote Quote by mazinse View Post
They are not considered living organisms in present cells because they lost a lot of genes necessary to survive independently and need host proteins to perform functions for them
Thanks, but I was under the impression that the ability to survive independently was not required so long as the entity could undergo metabolism (at all)...aren't there several bacteria that require this type of help as well?

mazinse
Mar20-10, 06:25 PM
P: 190
Chloroplasts as organisms

Quote Quote by FireBones View Post
Thanks, but I was under the impression that the ability to survive independently was not required so long as the entity could undergo metabolism (at all)...aren't there several bacteria that require this type of help as well?
well thats an interesting way of putting it. if you really want to hit that gray area then yeah, think of them that way.

Register to reply