What is the spectrum of completely ionized hydrogen?

In summary, completely ionized hydrogen, where all electrons have been separated from the atoms, would be unable to emit or absorb light due to the absence of electrons. This was demonstrated in an experiment with a hydrogen discharge tube, where the emission eventually stopped, potentially due to complete ionization of the hydrogen atoms.
OranL
Question:
A hydrogen atom has one electron. If we heat hydrogen gas up enough, we will completely separate each electron from each hydrogen atom (called "ionization"). What will the spectrum of ionized hydrogen look like ("ionized" means that the electron has already been taken away)?

Here's what I wrote:
Because its electron is missing, and photons (and light) are created and destroyed by electrons changing energy levels, I would conclude that completely ionized hydrogen would be unable to emit or absorb light, and therefore have no spectrum.

This seems reasonable to me, but is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
i do think you are theoretically correct.i did an experiment with hydrogen discharge tube today and after some time the emission stopped.could it be because of all hydrogen atoms being completely ionized?

What is the spectrum of ionized atoms?

The spectrum of ionized atoms refers to the range of electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by an ionized atom. It is unique to each atom and can be used to identify the elements present in a substance.

How is the spectrum of ionized atoms produced?

The spectrum of ionized atoms is produced when electrons in the atom are excited to higher energy levels and then fall back to their original energy level, releasing energy in the form of photons. The resulting pattern of emitted or absorbed photons creates the spectrum.

What information can be obtained from the spectrum of ionized atoms?

The spectrum of ionized atoms can provide information about the energy levels and transitions of electrons within an atom. It can also be used to identify the elements present in a substance and their relative abundance.

What is the difference between the spectrum of ionized atoms and the spectrum of neutral atoms?

The spectrum of ionized atoms is produced when electrons are excited to higher energy levels, while the spectrum of neutral atoms is produced by electrons transitioning between energy levels within an atom. Additionally, the spectrum of ionized atoms may contain more energy levels and transitions compared to the spectrum of neutral atoms.

How is the spectrum of ionized atoms used in scientific research?

The spectrum of ionized atoms is used in a variety of scientific fields, including astrophysics, chemistry, and materials science. It can be used to identify the composition of distant stars, study the behavior of atoms in chemical reactions, and analyze the structure of materials. It is also used in spectroscopy techniques to study the interaction of light with matter.