Kinetic Enegry and Hydrogen Atoms

In summary, an electron must have a kinetic energy of at least 13.6 electron volts in order to ionize a hydrogen atom. If electrons of energy 12.8 eV are incident on a gas of hydrogen atoms in their ground state, the energies of the photons that are emitted by the excited gas are 12.8, 12.089, 10.2, and 2.6 eV.
ljucf

Homework Statement

(a) What is the minimum kinetic energy in electron volts that an electron must have to be able to ionize a hydrogen atom (that is, remove the electron from being bound to the proton)? Answer: 13.6 eV

(b) If electrons of energy 12.8 eV are incident on a gas of hydrogen atoms in their ground state, what are the energies of the photons that are emitted by the excited gas?
Energy of highest-energy photon: 12.8 eV
Energy of next highest-energy photon: 12.089 eV
Energy of next highest-energy photon: 10.2 eV
Energy of next highest-energy photon: 2.6 eV
Energy of next highest-energy photon: 1.9 eV
Energy of lowest-energy photon: ?? eV

(c) If instead of electrons, photons of all energies between 0 and 12.8 eV are incident on a gas of hydrogen atoms in their ground state, what are the energies at which the photons are absorbed?
Energy of highest-energy dark line: 12.8 eV
Energy of next highest-energy dark line: 12.089 eV
Energy of lowest-energy dark line: 10.2 eV

Homework Equations

-13.6/n2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought you would take 12.8-12.089 = .711 eV, however it states this is wrong. I have tried answers 0, .7, .711, and .6. Not sure why it's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK - so how was the highest energy photon generated?

Simon Bridge said:
OK - so how was the highest energy photon generated?
Due to the fact that the questions says 12.8eV is the ground state, wouldn't that result in 12.8 being the highest energy photon?

ljucf said:
Due to the fact that the questions says 12.8eV is the ground state, wouldn't that result in 12.8 being the highest energy photon?
The question does not say that 12.8eV is the ground state.
What is the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom?

But you didn;t answer the question: what is the mechanism that generates the photons?

BTW: are those numbers given to you are did you work them out?

En=K+Ue=-13.6eV/N2

-13.6/No2+13.6=12.8

No2= -13.6/0.8= -17
√(17) ≈ 4

-13.6/42+13.6=12.75

Simon Bridge said:
BTW: are those numbers given to you are did you work them out?

I worked them out.

That's just a bunch of equations - please use English to explain what you are doing.
What is the physical process you are thinking of ... an electron flies through the gas, it encounters a H atom, and then what does it do?

Simon Bridge said:
That's just a bunch of equations - please use English to explain what you are doing.
What is the physical process you are thinking of ... an electron flies through the gas, it encounters a H atom, and then what does it do?
I have know idea...I am using the equations that were given in class.

I solved it.

-13.6/42+13.6/32=.66

Well great - but I have no idea what you did because you have not used an physics.
It sounds like you don't know either. This does not bode well for the future - when there will be no equations given in class.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a type of energy that can be transferred from one object to another when they collide.

How is kinetic energy related to hydrogen atoms?

Hydrogen atoms have kinetic energy because they are in constant motion, even at very low temperatures. This energy is due to their random movement and the vibration of their atoms.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of hydrogen atoms?

The kinetic energy of hydrogen atoms can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules. Higher temperatures and pressures can result in increased kinetic energy, while the presence of other molecules can alter the direction and speed of the atoms' movement.

How is kinetic energy measured?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J). It can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity squared, divided by two: KE = 1/2 * mv^2. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by measuring the force required to stop a moving object and multiplying it by the distance it travels.

What are some real-world applications of kinetic energy and hydrogen atoms?

Kinetic energy is essential in many everyday technologies, such as transportation (cars, trains, planes), energy production (wind turbines, hydroelectric dams), and sports equipment (tennis rackets, golf clubs). Hydrogen atoms are used in fuel cells, which generate electricity by converting the kinetic energy of the atoms into usable energy. Hydrogen atoms are also used in nuclear fusion reactions, which have the potential to be a clean and abundant source of energy in the future.