An experiment for the determination of hydrogen ionization energy

In summary, the conversation is about using a gas vacuum tube called "thyratron" to determine the hydrogen ionization energy. The process involves setting a specific filament current, measuring the anode current, and plotting the relation between the two values. The book suggests plotting the relation as ##I^{3/2}## with ##V## and obtaining multiple ##V_{c}## points at which the curve deviates. The question is whether it is possible to obtain an analytical relation between the filament current and the potential and how to approach it.
patric44
Homework Statement
the relation between the filament current with the Vc .
Relevant Equations
I = K V^(3/2)
hi guys
i saw this experiment in an old book that uses the gas vacuum tube "thyratron" for determining the hydrogen ionization energy , the idea i guess is straight forward : we set the filament current to a specific value then the electrons starts to emit from the cathode traveling its way to the higher potential anode then we measure the corresponding anode current
thyratron.jpg

while the traveling electrons don't have enough energy to ionize the hydrogen between the plates , the anode current is subject to the relation of Child-Langmuir law :
$$I_{a} = K V^{\frac{3}{2}}_{a}$$
now the moment the electrons gain enough energy to ionize the gas this relation no longer valid and the curve deviates .

now i have a couple of questions :
why the book states the relation that we should plot as ##I^{3/2}## with ##V## shouldn't it be ##I^{2/3}## ?!
a scanned plot from the book :
plot.jpg

(2) the book states specifically to draw this plot at different values for the filament current to get multiple ##V_{c}## points at which the curve deviates as a function of the filament current , now this ##V_{c}## is not the ionization energy becouse the electrons has some energy from the thermionic emission in the first place , so we will draw this curve and extrapolate the curve at the value in which ##I_{f}=0## (as if the electrons gained most of its energy from the plate potential needed for ionization )
if.jpg

the question is could i obtain analytically the relation between the filament current and this potential ? and what is the approach for that .
thanks

Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
guys any help on that

1. What is the purpose of the experiment for the determination of hydrogen ionization energy?

The purpose of this experiment is to measure the amount of energy required to remove an electron from a hydrogen atom, also known as its ionization energy. This value is important in understanding the chemical and physical properties of hydrogen and other elements.

2. How is the ionization energy of hydrogen determined in this experiment?

In this experiment, the ionization energy of hydrogen is determined by measuring the energy of light emitted when an electron is removed from a hydrogen atom. This is known as the Balmer series and is based on the relationship between the energy of light and the energy levels of electrons in an atom.

3. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a hydrogen gas source, a spectroscope, a power supply, and a detector to measure the light emitted. The experiment also requires a vacuum chamber to ensure accurate measurements are taken.

4. What is the significance of determining the ionization energy of hydrogen?

Determining the ionization energy of hydrogen is significant because it provides insight into the atomic structure and behavior of hydrogen and other elements. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting this experiment?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when conducting this experiment. Hydrogen gas is highly flammable and should be handled with caution. The vacuum chamber should also be handled carefully to avoid any accidents. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when conducting this experiment.