Library Membership

by qspeechc
Tags: library, membership
qspeechc
May20-10, 11:41 AM
P: 792
Hi.

Someone told me that members of the public can join our university library (she used to be a librarian) for some annual fee, but with restricted borrowing rights: you're only allowed to take out one book at a time, for one week, with no renewals.
So I did some interweb research and found that some universities have a similar thing, others do not, but mostly the websites were not very informative.
Does anyone know about this kind of thing? I'm still a student but eventually I will leave university, and then I'd like to join some or other university library, mostly so I can have access to journals and stuff. What would be the best library to join?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
IcedEcliptic
May20-10, 11:59 AM
P: 274
Quote Quote by qspeechc View Post
Hi.

Someone told me that members of the public can join our university library (she used to be a librarian) for some annual fee, but with restricted borrowing rights: you're only allowed to take out one book at a time, for one week, with no renewals.
So I did some interweb research and found that some universities have a similar thing, others do not, but mostly the websites were not very informative.
Does anyone know about this kind of thing? I'm still a student but eventually I will leave university, and then I'd like to join some or other university library, mostly so I can have access to journals and stuff. What would be the best library to join?
Knowing the country-state/province would be helpful for this one. Personally, I think you should join the libraries with the best selections and hang the expense. It is an investment in your mind after all.
qspeechc
May20-10, 03:33 PM
P: 792
Well actually I'll probably just want access to the electronic journals so it won't really matter where the university is. Only one websie (U of Georgia) gave a fee -- $10 -- so most of them are probably in that range.
And that's what I'd like to know, which library that allows outsiders to join has the best access to journals etc.?

IcedEcliptic
May20-10, 06:32 PM

Library Membership

Quote Quote by qspeechc View Post
Well actually I'll probably just want access to the electronic journals so it won't really matter where the university is. Only one websie (U of Georgia) gave a fee -- $10 -- so most of them are probably in that range.
And that's what I'd like to know, which library that allows outsiders to join has the best access to journals etc.?
Most libraries subscribe to the same services, just call the ones in your area and ask the librarian, they are usually happy to help and knowledgeable. Heck, check out what kind of line they're on, for the sake of speed and reliability of access.
Jimmy Snyder
May20-10, 07:58 PM
P: 2,163
I graduated from Temple U and as an alumnus, I used to pay $10 a year for full priveleges to borrow books. However, in recent years, they dropped the $10 fee so it's free. I don't know what they charge non-alumni. A few years ago, my company mulled over buying me a year's subscription to the Princeton University library. The fee was $800 a year. I never got it.
IcedEcliptic
May20-10, 08:03 PM
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
I graduated from Temple U and as an alumnus, I used to pay $10 a year for full priveleges to borrow books. However, in recent years, they dropped the $10 fee so it's free. I don't know what they charge non-alumni. A few years ago, my company mulled over buying me a year's subscription to the Princeton University library. The fee was $800 a year. I never got it.
Damn, that would have been wonderful access!
Moonbear
May20-10, 08:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
I suppose the fees might vary (and be steadily increasing) based on what journals the library subscribes to, and how tight the university's budget is, and perhaps what percentage of student fees goes toward supporting the library.

Another option to consider, and again, this will vary by location, is to check with your local public library and find out what interlibrary loan services they offer. Why pay for a subscription to access another library if your taxes already support a public library that can obtain the references you need? But, again, it might depend on how well your public library is funded if they can do that for free for you or if they'd still charge a fee.
TheStatutoryApe
May20-10, 09:06 PM
P: 1,549
Perhaps if your Uni has a relationship with the new one you will be near your alumni status will help?

Register to reply