Working electrical engineer transitioning to physics?

In summary, the speaker is a 30-year-old power electronics engineer who is considering pursuing a degree in physics while working full-time. They are passionate about the field and have a strong background in electrical engineering. They enjoy their job for the opportunities it provides, but also feel unchallenged at times and are interested in expanding their knowledge in physics. They are seeking advice on the feasibility and potential benefits of getting a second degree.
Myskellos
Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've come across PF many times as viewer while searching for clarifications and exercise solutions.
I think this should be the right place to ask for advice.

My background: 30-ish years old, got my BSc and MS in Electrical Engineering in 2017. The courses were mostly on power analysis, motor control, power grid analysis, power electronics etc.

Now I'm working since 5 years as power electronics engineer in a company that design and produces power converter (high current/high voltage or both) for customer-tailored solution, mostly physics laboratories dealing with nuclear fusion experimenting, particle accelerators, superconductive magnets test bench.

I really like the job for several reasons, being:
- get involved in cool projects with skilled people across the world
- I like the power electronics field
- not much people here in Italy are in the field, so you don't have ton on competition and salary it's quite good, even for junior people
- I feel appreciated by customer and my supervisors and colleagues.

The cons of the job are:
- sometimes I feel like not challenged by the project, most of the time the architecture of the converter is always the same and you must to the same calculation over and over again;
- not much RnD going on in the company, I would say zero at all
- while the technical side it's cool, you also find yourself scrolling pages and pages of standards (IEC, UL, whatever) which for sure are helpful and necessary, but not exciting.

Since childhood I was always fascinated by the inner-working of things and by the universe.
I attended a technical high-school, that gave me a weak foundation of physics and math (this was the main reason of why I did not choose physics at Uni)

in fact, I struggled the first year of BSc with calculus, physics and algebra. Nonetheless hard work and many days spent in the library got me through these subjects and got the max vote on calculus II (vectorial analysis). Nowadays probably I won't be able to solve a ODE, since I've not used much math in my daily job.

Recently I visited a customer that showed us a tokamak and I was like a kid in Disneyland, it really sparked again my curiosity on physics.

So I'm thinking if it's worth to get a BSc (eventually MS, who knows) in physics and if it's really feasible while working full-time (5 days/week, 8-9 hours).
On one hand I really like the idea of spending hours solving physics exercises and acquire the true meaning of equations, behind the formalism (for instance, I loved the electromagnetism part).
On the other hand, I fear that I'm overestimating this passion and my willpower. I know for sure that 'self-study' just for fun won't work, I need some clear deadlines, clear goals, feel to be challenged.

Last but not the least, I have a mortgage so I cannot afford, for the moment, any pause from working to focus on study.

The bottom line of the post is:

- Do you think it is worth to get a second degree?
- Is realistic to get good physics knowledge by studying a few hours per day? I don't want to deceive myself, I think it's quite difficult and for sure, it will take at least double the normal time.
- What would you in my situation?
- Apart for the sake of knowledge, do you think I can benefit of this studies in my field?

Sorry for the length and thanks in advance to anyone who will reply.
Best regards !

Physics news on Phys.org
Myskellos said:
Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've come across PF many times as viewer while searching for clarifications and exercise solutions.
I think this should be the right place to ask for advice.

My background: 30-ish years old, got my BSc and MS in Electrical Engineering in 2017. The courses were mostly on power analysis, motor control, power grid analysis, power electronics etc.

Now I'm working since 5 years as power electronics engineer in a company that design and produces power converter (high current/high voltage or both) for customer-tailored solution, mostly physics laboratories dealing with nuclear fusion experimenting, particle accelerators, superconductive magnets test bench.

I really like the job for several reasons, being:
- get involved in cool projects with skilled people across the world
- I like the power electronics field
- not much people here in Italy are in the field, so you don't have ton on competition and salary it's quite good, even for junior people
- I feel appreciated by customer and my supervisors and colleagues.

The cons of the job are:
- sometimes I feel like not challenged by the project, most of the time the architecture of the converter is always the same and you must to the same calculation over and over again;
- not much RnD going on in the company, I would say zero at all
- while the technical side it's cool, you also find yourself scrolling pages and pages of standards (IEC, UL, whatever) which for sure are helpful and necessary, but not exciting.

Since childhood I was always fascinated by the inner-working of things and by the universe.
I attended a technical high-school, that gave me a weak foundation of physics and math (this was the main reason of why I did not choose physics at Uni)

in fact, I struggled the first year of BSc with calculus, physics and algebra. Nonetheless hard work and many days spent in the library got me through these subjects and got the max vote on calculus II (vectorial analysis). Nowadays probably I won't be able to solve a ODE, since I've not used much math in my daily job.

Recently I visited a customer that showed us a tokamak and I was like a kid in Disneyland, it really sparked again my curiosity on physics.

So I'm thinking if it's worth to get a BSc (eventually MS, who knows) in physics and if it's really feasible while working full-time (5 days/week, 8-9 hours).
On one hand I really like the idea of spending hours solving physics exercises and acquire the true meaning of equations, behind the formalism (for instance, I loved the electromagnetism part).
On the other hand, I fear that I'm overestimating this passion and my willpower. I know for sure that 'self-study' just for fun won't work, I need some clear deadlines, clear goals, feel to be challenged.

Last but not the least, I have a mortgage so I cannot afford, for the moment, any pause from working to focus on study.

The bottom line of the post is:

- Do you think it is worth to get a second degree?
- Is realistic to get good physics knowledge by studying a few hours per day? I don't want to deceive myself, I think it's quite difficult and for sure, it will take at least double the normal time.
- What would you in my situation?
- Apart for the sake of knowledge, do you think I can benefit of this studies in my field?

Sorry for the length and thanks in advance to anyone who will reply.
Best regards !
GIven your reaction to visiting the Tokamak, I suggest you could just find a job that uses your skills on a physics project like working for a fusion startup effort for example or even getting a job with ITER. Or even go work for that customer on the tokamak.

Likes russ_watters
Perhaps you'd like to get some "real" experience of what a good BSc physics course is before you attempt something more drastic, like enrollment. Why don't try the OCW online lessons at MIT? Their webpage is https://ocw.mit.edu and I leave it to you to browse through the various physics stuff; you'll find lots of videos with lectures, etc., from real classes taught by real MIT professors. That might help you to decide whether physics at the university level is interesting for you.

Likes DaveE
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I was without decent internet connection for a few days.

bob012345, yes I'm checking ITER, CERN and some other big lab vacancies to catch some opportunities as soon as they present.

apostolosdt I know MIT OCW and some other MOOC as well. Probably that's the best thing to do, since I can't be a full-time student anymore and, I guess, I will never be a full-fledged physicist. It's just for the joy of knowledge.

Thanks !

Likes vanhees71 and apostolosdt
Myskellos said:
sometimes I feel like not challenged by the project, most of the time the architecture of the converter is always the same and you must to the same calculation over and over again
Sounds like a good candidate for automation

A BS in physics won't make you a physicist or even more employable as an EE working on physics projects. A PhD in physics is on average 7 years, post BS so at part (1/4?) time...well. you do the math. I don't want to be discouraging, but you have both a long way to go and time commitments precventing you from moving quickly.

Is there electrical engineering to be done in physics research? Sure. Is it all exciting and challenging? No. I just had a meeting the other day about electrical outlet placement. Do the exciting and challenging projects go to entry-level engineers? Not usually - they go to the experienced ones with advanced degrees,

1. How does your background as an electrical engineer help in your transition to physics?

As an electrical engineer, I have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, which are essential in the field of physics. I also have experience with circuit analysis and electronics, which can be applied to certain areas of physics, such as electromagnetism.

2. What motivated you to transition from electrical engineering to physics?

I have always been fascinated by the fundamental laws and principles that govern our universe. While working as an electrical engineer, I realized that many of these principles are applied in the design and development of electronic devices. This sparked my interest in pursuing a deeper understanding of physics.

3. How do you plan on using your knowledge of electrical engineering in the field of physics?

I plan on using my knowledge of electrical engineering to contribute to research and development in areas such as quantum computing, nanotechnology, and renewable energy. I believe that my background in electrical engineering will allow me to approach these topics from a unique perspective and make valuable contributions.

4. What challenges do you anticipate in transitioning from electrical engineering to physics?

One of the main challenges I anticipate is adapting to the different mathematical and theoretical concepts used in physics. While there may be some overlap with electrical engineering, there will also be new and unfamiliar concepts to learn. Additionally, I may need to develop new laboratory skills and techniques specific to physics research.

5. What advice do you have for other engineers considering a transition to physics?

My advice would be to start by taking some introductory physics courses to get a feel for the subject and see if it is something you are truly interested in. It's also important to network and connect with other physicists to gain insight into the field and potential career opportunities. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help and seek out resources to aid in your transition, such as textbooks, online courses, and research opportunities.