What is the CP operator on pion combinations?

In summary, the CP operator on pion systems is +1 for the state |π+π−⟩ and |π0⟩, but -1 for the state |π0π0⟩. This is because the CP operator switches the pions physically and inverts their charges, but also takes into account the flavor and spin wavefunctions of the pions. In the case of |π0⟩, the flavor wavefunction \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|u\bar{u}\rangle - |d\bar{d}\rangle \right) and spin wavefunction \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow\downarrow\rangle - |\downarrow\up
rubenvb
Hi,

I have a question regarding the CP operator on pion systems.
1) CP [itex] \mid \pi^0 \rangle [/itex]
2) CP [itex] \mid \pi^+ \pi^- \rangle [/itex]
3) CP [itex] \mid \pi^0 \pi^0 \rangle [/itex]

I'd like to solve this in the above ket notation and apply the operators as is on the different parts of the represented wave function. My solution for 2) is:
CP [itex] \mid \pi^+ \pi^- \rangle [/itex]
[itex] = C \mid \pi^- \pi^+ \rangle [/itex] (switch pions physically in e.g. x-coordinate)
[itex] = \mid \pi^+ \pi^- \rangle [/itex] (invert charges)
Thus CP is +1 for [itex] \mid \pi^+ \pi^- \rangle [/itex]. This does not seem to work for 1). Note I have somehow lost the notion of [itex] (-)^l [/itex] that should be present somewhere :S

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
write the state for the pi0 in terms quarks

ansgar said:
write the state for the pi0 in terms quarks

OK, this is where I get:
[tex] CP \mid \pi^0 \rangle = CP \frac{\mid u \bar{u} \rangle - \mid d \bar{d} \rangle}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{ CP \mid u \bar{u} \rangle - CP \mid d \bar{d} \rangle}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{C \mid \bar{u} u \rangle - C \mid \bar{d} d \rangle}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{ \mid u \bar{u} \rangle - \mid d \bar{d} \rangle}{\sqrt{2}} = \mid \pi^0 \rangle[/tex]
This would mean CP for a [tex]\pi^0[/tex] is +1, while I kind of remember it being -1... What do I do wrong?

sorry for my first message, I did not pay attention.

Together with the flavor wavefunction [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( |u\bar{u}\rangle - |d\bar{d}\rangle \right)[/itex]
one has to take into account spin [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow\downarrow\rangle - |\downarrow\uparrow\rangle \right)[/itex] as well
[tex]|\pi^0\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left[
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( |u_\uparrow\bar{u}_\downarrow\rangle - |d_\uparrow\bar{d}_\downarrow\rangle \right)
- \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left( |u_\downarrow\bar{u}_\uparrow\rangle -|d_\downarrow\bar{d}_\uparrow\rangle \right) \right]
=\frac{1}{2}\left[
|u_\uparrow\bar{u}_\downarrow\rangle -
|u_\downarrow\bar{u}_\uparrow\rangle -
|d_\uparrow\bar{d}_\downarrow\rangle +
|d_\downarrow\bar{d}_\uparrow\rangle \right]
[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is CP violation on pion?

CP violation on pion refers to the violation of CP symmetry in the decay processes of pions. CP symmetry is a fundamental symmetry in particle physics that states that the laws of physics should be the same for particles and their antiparticles. However, experiments have shown that this symmetry is violated in certain decay processes involving pions.

2. How is CP violation on pion measured?

CP violation on pion is measured by analyzing the decay products of pions and looking for differences in the decay rates between pions and antipions. This is typically done using high-energy particle accelerators and detectors that can track and measure the properties of particles produced in pion decays.

3. What causes CP violation on pion?

CP violation on pion is caused by a difference in the decay rates of pions and antipions. This difference is due to a fundamental difference in the way that matter and antimatter behave in certain interactions. The exact mechanism behind this violation is still not fully understood and is an active area of research in particle physics.

4. Why is CP violation on pion important?

CP violation on pion is important because it provides insight into the origins of the asymmetry between matter and antimatter in the universe. The fact that CP symmetry is violated in pion decays suggests that there may be other fundamental symmetries that are also violated, which could help explain why the universe is made up mostly of matter rather than antimatter.

5. Can CP violation on pion be used to develop new technologies?

While CP violation on pion is primarily studied for its fundamental implications in particle physics, it has also led to the development of new technologies. For example, the phenomenon of CP violation has been utilized in experiments to improve the accuracy of atomic clocks and to develop sensitive sensors for detecting nuclear radiation.