Π leptonic decay (current matrix element)

In summary, the pion leptonic decay is described by the lagrangian L=\frac{4G_F}{\sqrt{2}}V_{ud}^* \bar{d}_L\gamma^\mu u_L \bar{\nu}_L \gamma_\mu l_L. To calculate the matrix element of the axial current, we use the definition \langle 0 | A_{\mu} | \pi \rangle = i p_{\mu} f_{\pi}, where A_{\mu} = \bar{u} \gamma_{\mu} \gamma_{5} d. Some sources use the notation F_{\pi} instead of f_{\pi}, but they are related by a
Einj
I'm currently studying the pion leptonic decay and I'm getting a bit confused about some factors. Firstly, le correct lagrangian that describe the pion decay [itex]\pi^+\rightarrow l^+ + \nu_l[/itex] is:

$$L=\frac{4G_F}{\sqrt{2}}V_{ud}^* \bar{d}_L\gamma^\mu u_L \bar{\nu}_L \gamma_\mu l_L$$

We can't operate with the quark current and so we have to use an effective current [itex]J^\mu_L=1/2(V^\mu-A^\mu)[/itex] where V and A are the vector and axial curret. The vector current gives no contribution because the pion is pseudo scalar.
So we need to calculate the matrix element of the axial current. I'm a bit confused about the correct use of form factor. My professor wrote down the following matrix element:

$$\langle 0 |A_\mu|\pi^+\rangle = ip^{\pi}_\mu f_\pi$$

while in some books I found the form factor written as [itex]F_\pi[/itex] and realted to [itex]f_\pi[/itex] by some 2 or √2 factors.
Can some one tell me the exact relation between F and f?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The pion decay constant:
[tex]
\langle 0 | A_{\mu} | \pi \rangle = i p_{\mu} f_{\pi}
[/tex]
Where
[tex]
A_{\mu} = \bar{u} \gamma_{\mu} \gamma_{5} d
[/tex]
is about 130 MeV. This is the definition.
Now, you might see [itex]F_{\pi} = \frac{f_{\pi}}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] which is about 90 MeV,

The difference in notation is just different ways of writing it.
NOTE: I have noticed some DEFINE the decay constant differently in older papers where F is written as f and vice versa. I'm not completely sure but there may have been a time when the notation wasn't set in stone. (long ago)

Remember to keep track of the twos too:
If you look at the definition of my current, A, notice there are no L subscripts on the quarks. So you have:
[tex]
\bar{d}_L \gamma^{\mu} u_L = d \frac{(1+ \gamma_5)}{2} \gamma^{\mu}\frac{(1- \gamma_5)}{2} u\\
= \bar{d} \gamma^{\mu}\frac{(1- \gamma_5)}{2} \frac{(1- \gamma_5)}{2} u\\
\\
= \bar{d} \gamma^{\mu} \frac{(1- \gamma_5)}{2} u\\
= \frac{1}{2} \bar{d} \gamma^{\mu} u - \frac{1}{2}\bar{d} \gamma^{\mu} \gamma_5 u\\
\approx \frac{1}{2} V^{\mu} - \frac{1}{2} A^{\mu}
[/tex]

So don't forget that by getting it into the form of A you pick up the extra negative 1/2.

Yes, I kept track of it. Thanks for the help, that was exactly the answer I was looking for!

1. What is Π leptonic decay (current matrix element)?

Π leptonic decay, also known as pion decay, is a type of weak interaction in particle physics where a pion (a type of meson) decays into a lepton and its corresponding antineutrino. The current matrix element is a mathematical expression that describes the strength of this interaction.

2. What particles are involved in Π leptonic decay?

In Π leptonic decay, a pion (π) decays into a lepton (l) and its corresponding antineutrino (ν). The specific particles involved depend on the type of pion and the type of lepton.

3. How is the current matrix element calculated?

The current matrix element is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the properties of the particles involved, such as their masses and energies, as well as the strength of the weak interaction. This formula is derived from quantum field theory and can be quite complex.

4. What is the significance of Π leptonic decay (current matrix element) in particle physics?

Π leptonic decay is an important process to study in particle physics as it provides insights into the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. The current matrix element plays a crucial role in predicting and understanding the outcomes of these decays in experiments.

5. How is Π leptonic decay (current matrix element) relevant to our understanding of the universe?

Studying Π leptonic decay and the current matrix element helps us understand the behavior of particles and the structure of matter at a fundamental level. This knowledge can then be applied to other areas of physics, such as cosmology, to better understand the origins and evolution of the universe.