Register to reply

What does sub i mean?

by The riddler
Tags: derivitive, equation, kinetic energy, time
Share this thread:
The riddler
Jul2-10, 03:03 AM
P: 94
Im not 100% sure what the "sub i" symbol means when next to values such as Velcoity and Aceleration, here is and example of it being used in this equation for the time derivitive of kinetic energy.

Ek(d/dt) = Σm*Vi*Ai

Ek = Kinetic energy
d = Derivitive
t = Time
V = Velocity
A = Acceleration
sub i = ???

Can someone please tell me what it stands for,

Thanks for any replies :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
Pengwuino
Jul2-10, 03:11 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
The subscript 'i' refers to the component x,y, and z. It is an index that goes from 1 to 3, 1 = x, 2 = y, 3 = z that is used for the sum. In this case, it means the sum of [tex]mV_x A_x + mV_y A_y + mV_z A_z[/tex] in component terms.

In more advanced studies, you'll see the summation term dropped and when you see a repeated index such as the one you have, that kind of sum is implied. On the other hand, if you have something like [tex]A_i B_j[/tex] where A and B are just two indices, the index runs from 1 to 3 on both i and j so you get 9 terms that include [tex]A_1 B_3 , A_2 B_3 , A_1 B_1 [/tex] etc etc.

Register to reply