Getting a high pitched sound when I turn up volume?

In summary, the person is experiencing a high-pitched whistling sound when they turn up the volume on their Acer Aspire 5050 laptop. It is continuous and prevents them from turning the volume up past 50%. They are asking for help in fixing the issue, and one suggestion is to try using external speakers to see if it is a hardware problem. Another suggestion is to update the drivers on the Acer website. The person also mentions trying headphones, but the sound mainly comes from the laptop itself. They also mention the laptop freezing and speculate that it could be a problem with the hard drive or CPU fan.
blank.black
The laptop in this case is a Acer Aspire 5050 (bought at Walmart about 3-4 years ago).

I turn the volume up and when i get close to about half way on the volume bar, i start hearing this high pitched whistle-like sound which gets louder the more you turn it up. The sound is continuous so I am not able to turn up the volume up higher than 50% or so which is not loud enough.

So what is the problem here and how can I fix this? Please Help...

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmmm. Since it is not longer under warranty you can't send it in so maybe this could help. Plug in some external speakers and see if this is a hardware problem. If the external speakers don't make a noise then shop around on the internet and see if you can find some replacement speakers. The swap wouldn't be all that hard. If the external speakers also make the noise you can try updating your drivers at the Acer website and see if that has any affect.

Let me know what happens.

i do not have external speakers but i tried headphones but it did not seem like i was receiving much sound through headphones. it mainly seemed to come from the actual body itself.

i turned it on just now and barely got the volume up when it made that sound again and just froze. so i could not get the volume bar down and ended shutting down the lid and pulling the battery out which finally made it stop. :(

It froze? Your hard drive may be dieing, or your cpu fan may be in its death throws. This could possibly be mistaken for the speakers dieing. Perhaps a short that is causing the noise? Maybe one of the PF electrical engineers could point out whether or not that is possible. How hard would it be for you to confirm whether it was your hard drive or not? Does the sound happen when your speakers are off?

It is possible that there is an issue with the speaker or audio system on your Acer Aspire 5050 laptop. This high pitched sound could be caused by a malfunctioning component or a loose connection. I would recommend checking the sound settings on your laptop and making sure they are properly configured. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to have a technician inspect and repair the audio system. It is also possible that the laptop is simply not capable of producing high volumes without this sound occurring. In this case, you may need to consider using external speakers or headphones for louder audio.

What causes a high pitched sound when I turn up the volume?

A high pitched sound when turning up the volume is typically caused by feedback or interference from other electronic devices. It could also be due to a damaged speaker or audio equipment.

How can I fix a high pitched sound when turning up the volume?

To fix a high pitched sound when turning up the volume, you can try adjusting the positioning of your audio equipment or moving it away from other electronic devices. You can also check for any loose connections or damaged equipment and replace them if necessary.

Is a high pitched sound when turning up the volume harmful?

If the sound is only happening when you turn up the volume, it is not necessarily harmful. However, if you are constantly exposed to high pitched sounds, it can potentially damage your hearing over time.

Can using headphones cause a high pitched sound when turning up the volume?

Yes, using headphones can also cause a high pitched sound when turning up the volume. This is usually due to the headphones not being properly connected or having a damaged cable or speaker.

Is there a way to prevent a high pitched sound when turning up the volume?

To prevent a high pitched sound when turning up the volume, make sure to properly connect and maintain your audio equipment. Avoid placing them near other electronic devices that can cause interference. If using headphones, use them at a safe volume level and take breaks to give your ears a rest.