Fax Machine Cord: Why 6ft Limit and Why Did Ours Work with 5ft?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of cords for a fax machine and the discovery that a longer than 6 ft cord should not be used. The maximum distance for an RJ-11 (phonejack) cord is unknown, but it is likely to be low. Personal experience also suggests that longer cords, up to 70 ft, can still work but may result in a lower internet connection speed.
Mk
I had a broken fax machine, and we finally found the book, after a month of looking. It said not to use a longer than 6 ft cord... Why? We replaced our 20 ft. with a 5 ft., now it works... hmmm :confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Which "cord" are you referring to? If it's the RJ-11 (phonejack) one, the cord can only be so long, a maxiumum distance. I don't know the maxiumum distance of an RJ-11 cable, but I imagine it's rather low.

graphic7 said:
Which "cord" are you referring to? If it's the RJ-11 (phonejack) one, the cord can only be so long, a maxiumum distance. I don't know the maxiumum distance of an RJ-11 cable, but I imagine it's rather low.

From experience I don't think it is anything as small as 5ft. I used to have a cable going around the house (about 70ft long if not longer) so I could use the internet from my room and it did a pretty good job and it worked sending faxes through my fax modem too.

Although the internet connection speed you get is actually lower the longer the cable you use, it doesn't stop you completely from having a connection.

1. Why is there a 6ft limit for fax machine cords?

The 6ft limit for fax machine cords is due to signal loss. The longer the cord, the more the signal weakens, which can result in poor fax quality or the fax not working at all. Therefore, manufacturers usually recommend a maximum length of 6ft to ensure optimal performance.

2. Can I use a shorter cord than 6ft for my fax machine?

Yes, you can use a shorter cord than 6ft for your fax machine. In fact, some fax machines come with a 5ft cord, which is still within the recommended limit. As long as the cord is not too short to reach from the fax machine to the phone jack, it should work fine.

3. What happens if I use a cord longer than 6ft for my fax machine?

If you use a cord longer than 6ft for your fax machine, you may experience signal loss, resulting in poor fax quality or the fax not working at all. It is not recommended to use a longer cord as it may affect the performance of your fax machine.

4. What factors can affect the performance of a fax machine cord?

The main factor that can affect the performance of a fax machine cord is the length. As mentioned before, the longer the cord, the more signal loss will occur. Other factors that may affect the performance include the quality of the cord, the quality of the phone line, and any interference from nearby electronic devices.

5. Why did our fax machine work with a 5ft cord instead of a 6ft one?

There could be a few reasons why your fax machine worked with a 5ft cord instead of a 6ft one. It is possible that the 5ft cord you used was of higher quality and had better signal transmission capabilities. It could also be due to your phone line having good signal strength, allowing the 5ft cord to work effectively. However, it is still recommended to use a cord within the recommended limit for optimal performance.