Register to reply

What's your area and level of expertise?

by Moonbear
Tags: expertise
Share this thread:
Snazzy
Jun22-10, 05:42 AM
P: 459
Will be obtaining my BSc in microbiology and immunology from UBC next May, and then hopefully in September 2011, I will be in med school or touring Europe and getting absolutely smashed a couple (or 365) more times before entering med school.
Kylebrad98
Jul28-10, 05:49 PM
P: 3
I have no education that it worth mentioning just some public schooling but according to standardize testing this is one subject that i know well.
Jon Richfield
Jul29-10, 02:24 AM
P: 258
Quote Quote by Kylebrad98 View Post
I have no education that it worth mentioning just some public schooling but according to standardize testing this is one subject that i know well.
Welcome anyway. Learn some, share some, teach some, contribute some.
It is the best any of us can do. It is a huge subject, but can be hugely rewarding..
bobze
Aug10-10, 06:35 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 647
Hello, Long time reader here, just now posting on this topic!

I did a dual degree (BS's) for my undergrad, molecular genetics and evolutionary ecology, organismal biology (EEOB for short!) and yes, that makes me a buckeye for any of you Googling that!

Worked for a while after that in research, mostly dealing with microbes (modes of caspase activation and induction in Legionella and Burkholderia infections)

Went to private industry after that and quickly found out that stable jobs in private research firms are about as reliable as a one dollar watch (and probably pay as often too!). So I decided to go back to school. I did a MS in biomedical science, with my emphasis on microbial pathology and got a job in clinical microbiology.

Which I liked but didn't see myself doing till retirement. So I've gone back to school again! I am currently a medical student, which is also why I have little time to post on a regular basis and you'll note my posts all seem to come in clipped-bursts :P
Kglocc
Sep4-10, 09:20 PM
P: 44
MCD Biology, undergrad senior. PF is great. Guilt-free procrastination before studying
nucleargirl
Sep5-10, 05:29 PM
P: 126
I have a undergraduate degree in biology, and some cancer lab experience and protein production experience (both were not great for different reasons).
I'm interested in... well not sure.
Perhaps evolution?- like why there is life, how life will evolve in future...
perhaps animal biology? - like how animals work? physiology maybe...
maybe ethology... I'd love to look at animals all day! like Geese! but there doesn't seem to be any funding for anything....
Jon Richfield
Sep6-10, 04:29 AM
P: 258
Quote Quote by nucleargirl View Post
I have a undergraduate degree in biology, and some cancer lab experience and protein production experience (both were not great for different reasons).
I'm interested in... well not sure.
Perhaps evolution?- like why there is life, how life will evolve in future...
perhaps animal biology? - like how animals work? physiology maybe...
maybe ethology... I'd love to look at animals all day! like Geese! but there doesn't seem to be any funding for anything....
Welcome! Join us and look around. There are some good conversations going, and maybe you can start some of your own too.
Cheers,
Jon
nucleargirl
Sep6-10, 04:31 AM
P: 126
Thanks Jon :)
larrym3
Sep8-10, 07:11 PM
P: 2
MD, PhD (Cell and Molecular Biology)
Craigsly
Sep19-10, 02:18 PM
P: 6
A lowly third year undergrad student double majoring in Biomedical Engineering/Biochemistry. I hope to soak up some knowledge from you more experienced people. ^_^
bioinfinity
Sep24-10, 02:36 AM
P: 3
MD, PhD - worked as VP R&D at a Fortune 100 company (supervising 155 scientists). Training in molecular biology, immunology, genetics, protein chemistry, and oncology. Currently working on next generation sequencing technology and bioinformatic tools to develop the logistics to bring detailed genetic sequence analysis/interpretation to patients-doctors-hospitals.
victorg
Oct13-10, 01:20 AM
P: 8
Currently undergrad in Wildlife/Fisheries Biology...but my experiences and interests are vast.
quirmche
Oct21-10, 11:04 PM
P: 5
BS Biology 1987; Doctor of Chiropractic 1991!

Still practicing but, recently obtained my teaching certificate to teach High School Biology. Interview coming up Monday!!!!!

I love, love, love, science. More importanly I love knowing how things work!

Recently, my LCD HDTV died and as a result of trying to fix it, I spent a few weeks reviewing and advancing my skills in Electronics. That is how I found this forum.

This place is great! A perfect fit for me, so I think I'll be sticking around.

Oh yeah I did repair my tv!

Cheers!
paradigm
Nov2-10, 04:10 PM
P: 21
BS 2010 in General Biology with a concentration in Environmental Sciences.
I started out as a physics major (how I became acquauinted with this site), but then defected to the biology department as one fantastic professor after another cultivated my incipient interest in life science. Immediately pursuant to my epic betrayal (my departmental advisor seethed as he signed my "release" form), I structured my college curriculum around the hope for an advanced degree and career in environmental toxicology. Fickle as I am, I had a change in heart and spent all of last year applying to epidemiology programs at various public health schools. Not until I started getting my admissions letters did I flake out again, and I've since decided that I would like to take a more clinical approach, and am now contemplating a joint MD/PhD in nuclear medicine. Needless to say, I made the decision a little late in the game - commencement week, to be exact - but I'm pretty confident that this is the route I should take, as my interests have trended towards increasing anthropocentrism, and this seems the natural end for my love of man (insert medschool interview cliche here). In the meantime, I'm taking a year to recuperate and to prepare for the MCAT. All is not lost, however! Between my movie-watching binges and junkfood runs, I find time to work full-time as a "senior" (<-- anyone who knows me will understand why this is hilarious) tech in an endocrinology lab. Specifically, I oversee studies involving behavioral neuropharmacology.

That said, I've never taken a physio or biochem class in my life, and for all my strengths in statistics and experimental design, most of the actual science that I'm doing is lost on me :). I know the basics of the opioid system, but just enough not to be completely humiliated at poster presentations.
Dr Lots-o'watts
Nov2-10, 07:35 PM
P: 674
B.Sc. in physics, then went to med school for 2 semesters. Didn't enjoy it for various reasons. Went back for M.Sc. and Ph. D. in physics.

Still interested medicine, but mostly to understand my own health, and of people around me.

When I was 8 years old, I wanted to study the African wildlife.
arabidopsis
Dec14-10, 07:53 PM
P: 1
I'm working towards a BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, very interested in plant biology/pathology (although physical chemistry is my favorite course now!), and am very invested in my undergraduate research. I find working in the lab such a positive experience and consider myself exceptionally lucky to have a job that fascinates and challenges every day.
I'm hoping to be fortunate enough to move on to a phD in either biochemistry or straight biology after I graduate spring 2012. If not, I will most likely stay on with my current research group and work fulltime. I've been lurking on the biology section of PF for far too long and finally decided to register!
JordanN
Dec18-10, 06:50 PM
P: 5
In my last year of High School but I'm studying to become a Veterinary Technician.
MathsManic88
Jan2-11, 03:51 AM
P: 1
Double degree in Science/Science majoring in zoology, medicinal chemistry and mathematics (honours in mathematics)

Research Interests:

Zoology/Human Physiology - Herpetological endocrinology.
Medicinal Chemistry - Diabetes (new drug design)
Mathematics - Tensor calculus, analysis, quantum mechanics and dynamics.

I've left it very basic i know, if anyone is interested in knowing specific details just send me a post.

Register to reply