I would like advice on which sub-areas I should follow for two Masters

In summary: You can do multiple ones, but you can dream of achieving only one of them right now, others may follow naturally in the span of your long life. (If you insisted on doing many, you'll fail in all- Just my opinion)In summary, José Ricardo is a first-year physics student at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro who is interested in pursuing a career in teaching and research. He has a wide range of interests in the fields of Astronomy, Theoretical Physics, Physics of Particles, Astrobiology, Biophysics, Material Physics, History of Physics, Philosophy of Physics, and Science Communication. He is also interested in Cosmology and is considering pursuing multiple masters degrees. He is seeking advice on
José Ricardo
Hi folks,

My name is José Ricardo, I study at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (1st period). As the majority of the academics, always there is one who wants to follow a career. I'm doing major in Physics. I want to teach? Yes, I do. But I want to follow the research as well. I have several areas of interesting. Astronomy; Theorical Physics; Physics of Particles, Astrobiology, Biophysics; materiais physics; History of Physics and Philosophy of Physics (I think this last one is so-called Epistemology); Write books of Philosophy; Science, adn Sci-fi; and Cosmology.

Astronomy: I would like to work in a astronomical observatory, discovering planets, or stars.

Theorical Physics: I would like to work with a concept of parallel universes, fourth dimension, M Theory, Cords Theory.

Physics of particles: I would like to turn the teletransport reality, trying to create a formula to the teletransporter can teletransport humans and animals.

Astrobiology: I would like to discover life beyond Earth, and create equations about how many universal civilizations would exist through these new like-Earths that were discovered.

Biophysics: I would like to create a formula that correlates, for example, the speed that a person walks in land, I'll discover the speed through the equation that a person would swim in the water without she to be in the water only with calculations.

Material Physics: I want to create a material resistant to at least 6000 °C, sending a sending a probe to Mercury, Venus, and the Sun. The majority of his part would be organic, and the other parts would be copolymers and polymers.

History of Physics and Philosophy of Physics: I would like to teach Physics with History of Physics and Philosophy of Physics (I already have a high school textbook that comes along with History of Physics and I already have a notion of how I would teach)

Science Communication: I would like to turn into some theme of these disciplines above there (Biophysics, Astrobiology, History of Science or Physics Materials) for the lay public, like Carl Sagan, Tyson, Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku, Isaac Asimov, Aldous Huxley, Robert Heinlein, H. G. Wells, etc.

Cosmology: What is the universe is made from? Why exists the universe?

I would like to do more than one masters'. I would like an advice to which sub-area I should follow, what are the most interesting sub-areas for you guys?

I appreciate your advices, folks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to narrow down your options according to your perspective not others.

I personally like all branches of science, I think most of those who are registered in this forum do as well. But, the branches of study are nearly infinite. You stated what you have in mind right now and that's a good thing, each one with what we can call a motivation.

You need to take time to predict (prepare for) your future. Which one you think should be you in the future? You can do multiple ones, but you can dream of achieving only one of them right now, others may follow naturally in the span of your long life. (If you insisted on doing many, you'll fail in all- Just my opinion)

It is a hard thing to do. But you need to choose one and one only. If you established yourself in one, you will probably find a link/links between your branch of science and others. Say you are for example a good researcher in Classical physics, you can collaborate with others to do Bio physics research. If you are a Nuclear researcher, you can collaborate with Medical physics researchers. If you are a cosmologist, you can collaborate with particle physicists.

Collaboration is a very important thing in this era, since the branches of science are vast and no one can master all. Collaboration gives us the opportunity to fuse our knowledge.

By the way, can I ask why do you want to have two masters? You can take a master and follow it by a PhD, I think it would be better than two masters.

Likes José Ricardo
Think about what is practical:
Is a particular field or topic practical?
Are there many infilled employment positions in the field or topic?You listed and briefly commented on several science fields but seemed not to mention any type of computation nor engineering. Another question which can become important is, What is your plan for learning job skills for any science or engineering?

Likes José Ricardo
Phylosopher said:
I think you need to narrow down your options according to your perspective not others.

I personally like all branches of science, I think most of those who are registered in this forum do as well. But, the branches of study are nearly infinite. You stated what you have in mind right now and that's a good thing, each one with what we can call a motivation.

You need to take time to predict (prepare for) your future. Which one you think should be you in the future? You can do multiple ones, but you can dream of achieving only one of them right now, others may follow naturally in the span of your long life. (If you insisted on doing many, you'll fail in all- Just my opinion)

It is a hard thing to do. But you need to choose one and one only. If you established yourself in one, you will probably find a link/links between your branch of science and others. Say you are for example a good researcher in Classical physics, you can collaborate with others to do Bio physics research. If you are a Nuclear researcher, you can collaborate with Medical physics researchers. If you are a cosmologist, you can collaborate with particle physicists.

Collaboration is a very important thing in this era, since the branches of science are vast and no one can master all. Collaboration gives us the opportunity to fuse our knowledge.

By the way, can I ask why do you want to have two masters? You can take a master and follow it by a PhD, I think it would be better than two masters.

Hm... I didn't think by this way. And yes, I want a PhD.
I realized I like several subjects. For a common person, it's easy to think, but for me, it's hard because I have several vocations.

Phylosopher, if you were me, which subject would you choose? Now I'm thinking to choose History of Science and Astrobiology, or replacing this astrobiology by Biophysics. I don't know even what I should choose.

symbolipoint said:
Are there many infilled employment positions in the field or topic?You listed and briefly commented on several science fields but seemed not to mention any type of computation nor engineering. Another question which can become important is, What is your plan for learning job skills for any science or engineering?

My plane is choose Science Communication. I idealized almost 100 superheroes, I'm writing two books that are stopped. I want to write sci-fi, science, and philosophy. I want to study Philosophy or Social Sciences to become a politician. Or I want to choose electronic enginnering (This one I didn't mention), I want to create a TV or a monitor of a computer without screen.

Let's suppose you don't have a big space to put a TV, but you have a button attached to the wall that can increase the TV as it gets on your wall, but only a hologram. You can move it through touchscreen or by control. About engineering, this was my idea. My another idea but seeming more an architecture is to create Brazilian cars. They are so handsome as Subaru, Mitsubishi, BMW, Ford, Toyota, Chevrolet (I alreadu idealized 3 marks of car, one I'm creating). I'm draqing these cars, but the project is not finished. These are my ideas. these are my ideas, apart from the ideas for writing over 45 books, most of which are science fiction, others are terror (this seems like Resident Evil (the games) but passing in Brazil), science, sociology and Philosophy

José Ricardo said:
I realized I like several subjects. For a common person, it's easy to think, but for me, it's hard because I have several vocations.

It is hard for anyone to choose a subject to specialize in. It took me two years (Constantly thinking) to finally realize that I wanted to take a BSc in Physics.

You can have many dreams, but I can assure you. If you are lucky, you will succeed with a handful. So, make sure those handful are really what you want.

Likes José Ricardo
Phylosopher said:
You can have many dreams, but I can assure you. If you are lucky, you will succeed with a handful. So, make sure those handful are really what you want.

You are sure, Phylosopher. Epistemology I am sure. But I'm doubt in relation to Biophysics or Astrobiology. One day I'll discover if I must choose Biophysics or Astrobiology...

@Phylosopher,

I appreciate a lot for you help me. Epistemology is certain. Now the other one yet I don't know, but you already helped me a lot. I thanked you by heart. A part of my future is already decided, it misses the other one.

If someone wants to keep help me, I thank more yet. Thank you for your attention and your affection.

symbolipoint said:

I think I like the two ones. I'll answer better when I have Experimental Physics in the second semester.

José Ricardo said:
I think I like the two ones. I'll answer better when I have Experimental Physics in the second semester.
(1) Good
(2) Maybe

You seem young and nowhere near to finishing your education. The questions I ask are done so because students, especially early in their education are not yet familiar with problems in the real world, doing work, looking for work, communicating with employers, and knowing what employers want done. You now might be interested in many different things and you wish to study and understand these things. Later, you will want to look for a job (employment). Companies will want to hire personnel who know how to think; AND have some experience using various or specific tools, instruments, equipment; and how to manage processes (like certain expected mathematical skills).. The companies might train you for some of it, but might also expect the personnel to already have been trained or be experienced with some specifiable materials, methods, or equipment and therefore will not spend time to train you.

symbolipoint said:
(1) Good
(2) Maybe

You seem young and nowhere near to finishing your education. The questions I ask are done so because students, especially early in their education are not yet familiar with problems in the real world, doing work, looking for work, communicating with employers, and knowing what employers want done. You now might be interested in many different things and you wish to study and understand these things. Later, you will want to look for a job (employment). Companies will want to hire personnel who know how to think; AND have some experience using various or specific tools, instruments, equipment; and how to manage processes (like certain expected mathematical skills).. The companies might train you for some of it, but might also expect the personnel to already have been trained or be experienced with some specifiable materials, methods, or equipment and therefore will not spend time to train you.

Why?

symbolipoint said:
(1) Good
(2) Maybe

José Ricardo said:
Why?
Because most employers do not want to spend any more time training the newly-hired person than necessary. Training time goes into weeks, or months, and this costs time dedication and money. To the employers, no-training-needed is best; a little training possibly acceptable, extensive training usually not acceptable. If the company can do so, it will hire someone who needs the least amount of training.

Much more severe about any needed mathematical skills. (or maybe just similar). The employer may tell you what kind of math is needed but absolutely has NO DESIRE to teach you the needed mathematics. Why? Here, the mathematics comes along with your education. In fact, the interviewer would very likely TEST YOU on the necessary Mathematical knowledge. Oral Quiz, on-the-spot! Maybe two or three questions presented or spoken to you! Either solve the questions or explain exactly how, or show exactly how on paper!

Likes José Ricardo
You need to see what kind of jobs you can get in your area of residence, or in whatever place you realistically imagine yourself working in, and what they're looking for in candidates. Why would you spend 2+ years taking a master's, if, in the end, you can't do anything with it? It's better to take one that will guarantee you a well-paying job, and learn what you like on the side, in your own free time.

Likes José Ricardo
symbolipoint said:
Because most employers do not want to spend any more time training the newly-hired person than necessary. Training time goes into weeks, or months, and this costs time dedication and money. To the employers, no-training-needed is best; a little training possibly acceptable, extensive training usually not acceptable. If the company can do so, it will hire someone who needs the least amount of training.

Much more severe about any needed mathematical skills. (or maybe just similar). The employer may tell you what kind of math is needed but absolutely has NO DESIRE to teach you the needed mathematics. Why? Here, the mathematics comes along with your education. In fact, the interviewer would very likely TEST YOU on the necessary Mathematical knowledge. Oral Quiz, on-the-spot! Maybe two or three questions presented or spoken to you! Either solve the questions or explain exactly how, or show exactly how on paper!

Yes, now I understood.

Tosh5457 said:
You need to see what kind of jobs you can get in your area of residence, or in whatever place you realistically imagine yourself working in, and what they're looking for in candidates. Why would you spend 2+ years taking a master's, if, in the end, you can't do anything with it? It's better to take one that will guarantee you a well-paying job, and learn what you like on the side, in your own free time.

I know English. I read good Spanish, I speak good, I understand good and I write a little, French so so, and German so so too. But I will know these three languages rsrs.

Folks,

I already decided myself, I think I'll do Theorical Biophysics, create a formula between the relations of the heart pulsation with the running machine, for example. Create a formula also between the relation who has the positional vertigo and disposition with the person to wake up. I don't that this exists.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing two Masters degrees in different sub-areas?

Pursuing two Masters degrees in different sub-areas can provide a broader and more diverse skill set, making you a more competitive candidate in the job market. It can also help you develop a deeper understanding of your field and potentially open up more career opportunities.

2. How do I choose which sub-areas to focus on for my two Masters?

When deciding on which sub-areas to pursue for your two Masters, it is important to consider your personal interests, career goals, and the potential for growth and job opportunities in each field. It may also be helpful to speak with academic advisors or professionals in the field for advice.

3. Can I complete two Masters degrees at the same time?

While it is possible to complete two Masters degrees at the same time, it can be challenging and may require a significant time commitment. It is important to carefully consider your workload and prioritize your studies to ensure successful completion of both degrees.

4. Will having two Masters degrees give me an advantage in the job market?

Having two Masters degrees can be seen as a valuable asset in the job market, as it demonstrates a high level of dedication, knowledge, and expertise in multiple areas. However, it is important to also gain practical experience and skills through internships, research, or other opportunities to complement your academic achievements.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to pursuing two Masters degrees?

One potential drawback of pursuing two Masters degrees is the financial cost. It is important to consider the cost of tuition, living expenses, and potential lost income while studying. Additionally, balancing the workload and coursework for two degrees may be challenging and could potentially impact your academic performance.