Register to reply

Quantum Tunneling

by NetMage
Tags: quantum, tunneling
Share this thread:
NetMage
Sep19-10, 11:29 PM
P: 98
So I've been reading up on some quantum tunneling. It seems as though everything I read on it only conveys an elementary view on the matter, as if their target audience was the general public. I am here to gain a more sophisticated understanding of this concept. As I currently understand quantum tunneling is the effect of particles colliding at high speeds as to where the mechanical energy is greater than the potential energy of the barrier and in QM there is probability that the particle will appear on the other side [I]regardless of the width of the object?![I] Why is there not a chance that the particle could appear inside the object? Has there been successful studies done on this? Does this constitute possibilities in teleportation/information sending?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
The physics of lead guitar playing
The birth of topological spintronics
Drakkith
Sep20-10, 12:26 AM
Mentor
P: 11,494
Actually, it is where the mechanical energy is LOWER than the potential energy of the barrier.
NetMage
Sep20-10, 12:33 AM
Oops, my mistake. Typo**

Drakkith
Sep20-10, 12:43 AM
Mentor
Quantum Tunneling

Also, i believe that particles that tunnel through something will not appear "Inside" another particle, as they cant occupy the same space. And quantum tunneling can also be used to explain when a particles overcomes a force that it shouldnt have. Such as being able to fuse atoms together at a lower energy than should be possible. Quantum tunneling can do this sometimes.
NetMage
Sep20-10, 12:57 AM
Ok, but if a particle cant appear inside space that is being occupied...isnt even the 'space' on the other side of the object still being occupied by other particles...for instance, air is still composed of particles that is occupying that space.
Drakkith
Sep20-10, 01:16 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by NetMage View Post
Ok, but if a particle cant appear inside space that is being occupied...isnt even the 'space' on the other side of the object still being occupied by other particles...for instance, air is still composed of particles that is occupying that space.
Air is mostly empty space with atoms/molecules just whizzing through it.
alxm
Sep20-10, 10:08 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,866
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Also, i believe that particles that tunnel through something will not appear "Inside" another particle, as they cant occupy the same space.
Two particles can occupy the same space just fine. Two fermions with the same spin and energy cannot.
ZapperZ
Sep20-10, 10:34 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
As I currently understand quantum tunneling is the effect of particles colliding at high speeds as to where the mechanical energy is greater than the potential energy of the barrier and in QM there is probability that the particle will appear on the other side [I]regardless of the width of the object?![I]
The other thing that's wrong is that the particles are (i) not moving at high speeds and (ii) not "colliding". A collision will cause a loss of coherence. In fact in many instances, scattering effect will diminish the tunneling current.

Secondly, in many tunneling experiments, the "speed" is very small when one considers that the applied voltage across the tunneling barrier is on the order of millivolts!

Zz.
NetMage
Sep20-10, 06:14 PM
Hm, well this is a bizzare concept. So it is to say that it is complete random chance that if the mechanical energy is less than the barrier that it will simply appear on the other side? What about time elapsed during the particle appearing on the other side? Is this instantaneous? Does this constitute FTL if so?
Drakkith
Sep20-10, 08:19 PM
Mentor
Hm, well this is a bizzare concept. So it is to say that it is complete random chance that if the mechanical energy is less than the barrier that it will simply appear on the other side? What about time elapsed during the particle appearing on the other side? Is this instantaneous? Does this constitute FTL if so?
I have no idea on this one.

Register to reply