Share this thread:
Ivan Seeking
Sep21-10, 09:40 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
In honor of Danger's talking cat...

I have never seen the blinking thing discussed anywhere before. I've found this works not only with cats, but with dogs, and deer as well. But the blink rate is different depending on the animal. Integral has a dog that would go nuts if I gave her a slow blink...not sure what that was all about. Three other dogs also got all worked up by a slow blink, so it must mean something in Dog Speak. Fast blinks seem to be okay.

I think most pet lovers get pretty good at reading their four-legged family members.

Because of cats long-standing as a creature intended to enhance human life, cats are sometimes relegated as a species which lack emotional life. This is a mistake. Cats are very intelligent animals that have evolved a series of body communications to purpose their needs. Close observation of the cat, as any cat lover might agree, will reveal rich levels of cats speak...

Blinking: If your cat blinks both eyes at once, consider yourself lucky as you have just been kitty kissed! You can also "kiss" your kitty too by catching your cat's eyes and blinking hard at it. Remember, one blink is quite sufficient, although you may try two! If your kitty returns the blink, then you have just been kissed back in the world of cats! Don't get upset if your kitty doesn't kiss you right away, because you might have suddenly surprised them with so much affection. Guaranteed your kitty will be kissing you once its adjusts to your lovin blinks...
http://hubpages.com/hub/Cats-Speak
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Loren Booda
Sep21-10, 09:49 PM
P: 3,408
Can a human win a stare down with a cat?
GeorginaS
Sep21-10, 10:07 PM
P: 380
Quote Quote by Loren Booda View Post
Can a human win a stare down with a cat?
No. Even when you "win" in human terms -- meaning that the cat looks away -- you've "lost" in cat terms because now you've annoyed them and they can't be bothered with you any more. Dogs get defeated by eye contact. Cats get bored and walk away. It's a victory only if the other side knows they've been defeated. The cat's not defeated. Really, you gain nothing.

I've read about blinking as "cat kisses" before, Ivan. My cat and I make squooshy faces at each other fairly frequently. I don't know if that constitutes "kisses" exactly, but I do know that we're bonded. And I do know that she doesn't look away from me when I do it. Sometimes she even blinks back. Mostly she just stares at me with that inscrutable expression on her face. So, I liberally anthropomophise and believe that, in her mind she's thinking, "Okay, now what's the human up to?"

Office_Shredder
Sep21-10, 10:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
Cat Speak, and other animal languages

I wouldn't characterize it as blinking. They slowly close their eyes, and it looks more like they're either going to sleep or squinting depending on the situation
CRGreathouse
Sep21-10, 10:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,684
In terms of WWPD?, I wonder if there's any way to express the OP as a falsifiable statement.
Loren Booda
Sep21-10, 10:41 PM
My cat's intimate look reflects the "flattery" of her human's gaze.
Quote Quote by GeorginaS View Post
Even when you "win" in human terms -- meaning that the cat looks away -- you've "lost" in cat terms because now you've annoyed them and they can't be bothered with you any more. Dogs get defeated by eye contact. Cats get bored and walk away. It's a victory only if the other side knows they've been defeated. The cat's not defeated. Really, you gain nothing.
Kitty has a black mask which makes her a formidable poker player in low light.
Max™
Sep21-10, 11:07 PM
P: 242
Cats react oddly if your eyes exhibit the typical saccade patterns, if you notice, that is the source of the "predatory stare" which people find unsettling, cats don't do the small scanning eye movements.

They focus on a target... I know this because I also unsettle people if I try to exhibit eye contact. I don't saccade normally either, I assume it is due to AS in my case... but as they say: "all cats have Asperger's".

Another way to identify a compliment from a cat is when they trill or chirp at you, cats don't meow at other cats, they either yowl, or trill.
Loren Booda
Sep21-10, 11:28 PM
Schizophrenia-spectrum disorders display one of the few physical traits for that category of diseases -- the inability for eyes to track steadily.

Kitty doesn't seem to mind.
GeorginaS
Sep21-10, 11:28 PM
Quote Quote by Loren Booda View Post
My cat's intimate look reflects the "flattery" of her human's gaze.

That's gorgeous.
Danger
Sep21-10, 11:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
In addition to the "kissing" thing, of which I was unaware, a single slow blink is taken by a cat as an invitation such as to join you in your chair.
Max™
Sep21-10, 11:57 PM
P: 242
Prior to diagnosis with AS, I actually assumed I was a large housecat.

Cats make sense, humans seem insane.

Go figure.
GeorginaS
Sep22-10, 12:21 AM
Quote Quote by Max™ View Post
Another way to identify a compliment from a cat is when they trill or chirp at you, cats don't meow at other cats, they either yowl, or trill.
True. If you're around feral cats they won't attempt to communicate with you. Cats who live with you, and especially ones who are bonded with you, work at verbal communication.

Also, if a cat "head-bumps" you, or really especially, if a cat licks you. If your cat licks you, they're all about the relationship with you. Grooming each other is a big deal in cat world.
Ivan Seeking
Sep22-10, 12:32 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by georginas View Post
my cat and i make squooshy faces at each other fairly frequently.
tmi! Tmi!

Us cat owners are pathetic.
GeorginaS
Sep22-10, 12:37 AM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
tmi! Tmi!

Us cat owners are pathetic.
No joke.
Danger
Sep22-10, 02:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Also, if a cat "head-bumps" you, or really especially, if a cat licks you. If your cat licks you, they're all about the relationship with you. Grooming each other is a big deal in cat world.
Mine instigated a form of "mutual grooming" which I haven't encountered with any of my previous pets. You know how a cat licks its dew-claw, and then uses it to comb its forehead. Lucy licks the web between my thumb and index finger, then shoves her head into position for me to rub it.
Ivan Seeking
Sep22-10, 02:47 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
True. If you're around feral cats they won't attempt to communicate with you. Cats who live with you, and especially ones who are bonded with you, work at verbal communication.

Isaac was a total head bump kitty.

As a bonding ritual, I make a point to groom our cats, but it takes hours to get the hair off of my tongue.
Ivan Seeking
Sep23-10, 08:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
No joke.
Ever since we got Little Tyke, because we got her so young, and because she's so small, we've informally adopted the habbit of calling her "Baby" [as in "cute little baby", not "oh baby, oh baby!" ]. As she got older and started getting into trouble, I ended up with "You are an eeeeeeeeevil little baby! Eeeeeeeeeevil Baby!".

Cracks Tsu up every time. It reminds me of Letterman's list of ten things you never thought you'd say. Course Little Tyke just twitches her tail and squints at me now when I say it.
DaveC426913
Sep23-10, 09:22 PM
P: 15,319
I'm a cat-lover with allergies.

Drives my friends bonkers (all of whom seem to have cats) because they know I'm allergic and get all upset when their cats are all over me. I am always saying "If I wanted your cats to leave me alone, I probably wouldn't be following them all over your house trying to pet them, now would I?"

Question: Cats love to have their cheeks stroked. I know they have their scent glands where their whiskers are, and this is a big part of the stroking thing for them.

But it always seems like they are moving their heads so that I'll scritch them behind the head or their ears. But if I scritch their ears too much, they shake it off and want me to stop. It always seems like they're trying to maneuver into just the right psotion so I'll scritch the right spot and I never quite seem to get it right.

What's the secret?

Register to reply