Communicating with Pets: How Humans Interact with Animals

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary: When she wants to play, she gets her toy and puts it in your lap.In summary, pet owners are able to communicate with their pets through actions, expressions, and sounds. This communication is often subtle and requires careful observation and understanding of an animal's behavior. Some pets, like cats and dogs, can also learn commands and signals from their owners, showing a level of intelligence and understanding. Horse whisperers have honed their ability to communicate with horses through centuries of knowledge and observation. Even smaller animals like hamsters and cats can learn to communicate their needs and desires to their owners. Ultimately, pets are more aware of our actions, emotions, and tone

Can humans communicate with some animals?

• Animals understand nothing. We see only a response to a stimulus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They can learn what we want them to do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They can sometimes understand our intent or goal

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • They understand a great deal more than we can perceive

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Pets often know exactly what we mean or want

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • They know our every thought

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How well can you communicate with your pet? Does a legitimate exchange of information exist between animals and humans, or is any perceived communication really just a response to a stimulus?

As a life long pet owner and animal lover, I am confident that Tsunami and I can read [interpret] certain actions and expressions found in both cats and dogs. For example, in most cats it seems that quickly and aggressively licking one’s left shoulder indicates something like annoyance or embarrassment [don’t mean literally but in a cat sort of way]. Several extended blinks made with eye to eye contact means that everything is okay – say when something startles the cat. The spontaneous licking of the backside of the front left leg indicates contentment – maybe a sign of approval of some sort…i.e. the cat is happy with me. Then we have the “I’m too sexy for my fur” hyper-extended strut along with a slow approach…just to make me wait and show me the pecking order. Obviously I can wait for the cat until he or she is ready to move along...even though the cat just ran 100 yards to reach me…up until the last 20 feet or so.

Many dog actions are obvious: Quick panting means I’m happy. Jumping up and down means I’m happy. Running in circles means I’m happy. Peeing on the floor means I’m happy. Removing the stuffing from the couch means I’m happy…etc . Really though, dogs are very much aware of our actions, pheromones [?], tone of voice, expressions etc to a greater extent than one might expect. When I was a teenager I trained one dog to respond to silent signals. All voice commands were given along with some unique aspect of body language. Before long the voice commands weren’t needed. Looking down meant “sit”, a quick upward motions with the eyes meant “come”, a rapidly extended arm to any direction meant “go” [run that direction], slumped shoulders meant “down”. In total I think there were about ten silent commands that Gypsy finally learned.

Oh yes, the eye to eye contact followed by several exaggerated blinks seems to equal “everything is okay” in dog language as well. Both dogs and cats will blink back and then relax.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan, I know exactly what you mean! It's amazing what animals can learn from us and we from them. Animals are pretty smart. I've had several dogs that *learned to spell". We started spelling things that excited them like "take a walk" or "go outside" and they learned to recognize the spelling.

You can also distinguish from the sounds they make what they are trying to say.

My spaniel learned that if his water bowl was empty that the quickest way to get it refilled was to scratch at the back door (which was a signal he had to go to the bathroom), but when you went to the door he would run over and kick his empty water bowl. He knew if he sat next to the water bowl nothing would happen, but we would always notice if he needed to go outside. Smart huh?

They can defintely sense our emotions.

I think that people who communicate well with pets are those who pay attention to the way pets express themselves, as Ivan clearly does.

I saw a thing about "horse whisperers" and this was their primary advantage, that they have a detailed and apparently accurate knowledge of what everything a horse does "means", how it reflects their emotional state.

This "language" is not obvious and the horse whisperers have built up centuries of knowledge which enables them to deal with horses on the horses own terms. I found it remarkable.

You can also distinguish from the sounds they make what they are trying to say.

We had one cat that had two very distinctive calls for each of two other cats. I noticed one day that I could tell the difference. One could almost consider these cat names [for cats only]?

We had a Border Collie that taught the other two dogs how to sneak off at night. After we went to bed they would wait about 20-30 minutes and then very quietly walk past out bedroom window and up the road. They had us completely convinced that they would never do that. I became wise to their treachery only by chance.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
This "language" is not obvious and the horse whisperers have built up centuries of knowledge which enables them to deal with horses on the horses own terms. I found it remarkable.

In much the same way Jane Goodall first got close to large apes.

I have an uncle who is friends with a horse wisperer. I have never seen him work but from what I have seen on TV I agree, these people are quite amazing.

I have two cats that taught themselves how to use the toilet, the problem is they don't flush, so I leave the lid down now.

Also, one of them figured out how to turn on the bathroom faucet to drink when he runs out of water. I was freaking out because every so often I'd find the water running. Then one day I saw him doing it.

I have a hamster...she knows when it is time to eat, and she knows how to break out of her exercise ball.

My Border Collie was trained to ONLY run after the thrown ball with the command "Fetch." No matter what word you spoke to try to fool her (feather, fooey, retch, catch...) she would sit and look at you (with those big, brown, pleading eyes) until you said the 'right' word! Then she'd take off like a bat out of h*ll!

Well, I guess that I should enumerate my communication with my dog:

-When she's out of water, she stands by her water bowl and barks like a mofo. When she sees you coming, she stops and waits for the water.
-When she has to (or just wants to) go out, she scratches at the front door.
-When I'm near the back door and she wants to run around in the back yard, she just stands by the door, looking out and waiting for me to open the door.
-Often, when she wants to go on the couch, she sits right up agains the couch, looking back and forth between the couch and me, begging me with her eyes. When I pat the couch or give an affirmative sound or motion, she jumps up.
-If I'm ignoring her and she wants attention, she's bark or whine.
-When she wants me to do something for her, sometimes she'll snuggle up to me to butter me up.

For both dogs:

-The dogs obviously know their names
-They understand go commands, vocal and/or pointing. They understand me calling them forth.

Originally posted by Zero
I have a hamster...she knows when it is time to eat

Well, that's not really very amazing if she can see the clock.

1. How do animals communicate with humans?

Animals can communicate with humans through body language, vocalizations, and scents. They may also use visual cues, such as pointing or tapping, to convey messages.

2. Can we understand what animals are trying to communicate?

While we cannot fully understand the language of animals, we can interpret their communication through observation and study. We can also learn to recognize certain behaviors and vocalizations that may indicate specific messages.

3. Is it possible for humans to learn how to communicate with animals?

Yes, humans can learn how to communicate with animals through training and practice. Many people, such as animal behaviorists and trainers, have dedicated their careers to understanding and communicating with animals.

4. How can communicating with animals benefit us?

Communicating with animals can help us to build stronger relationships with our pets and other animals. It can also aid in understanding their needs and behaviors, leading to better care and management of animals in our care.

5. Are there any potential risks involved in communicating with animals?

While there are no known risks to communicating with animals, it is important to approach interactions with caution and respect. It is also important to remember that animals have different ways of communicating and may not always understand or react in the way we expect.