What kinds of dangerous/parasite animals are in your area?

In summary: We just watched a baby fox play in our back yard last night. I think they're cute!"In summary, mosquitoes are the most dangerous animal in your area. Other animals include bears, deer, and songbirds. You should keep your spider alarm system in good working order.
Sophia
Summer is almost here and people tend to spend more time outdoors. That is very pleasant and most of us enjoy the sun and warm weather. But there may also be some dangerous creatures, especially in some areas. What are the most common dangerous, venomous or parasite animals in your area?
In my area, there are thankfully only a few of them compared to the rest of the world. It is not uncommon to meet a bear in the woods and they sometimes visit villages to eat out of garbage bins. You can meet a boar quite often, too. We only have one type of venomous snake living in the mountains that could kill a young child or an adult with weak immune system or heart disease. But that doesn't happen very often. The most common parasite in my area (with the highest % of contamination in the country) is a tick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick They are very common and spread encephalitis and borreliosis. Two people I know got borreliosis from them. I only got a tick once in my life as far as I know but our cat and dog get many of them each year from running in tall grass. Recently a person I know got one inside his ear. It hurt and his lymphatic node swell and he didn't know what's going on. Than someone looked inside his ear with a flashlight and there was a big tick. They were able to remove it and the swelling disappeared but the person still has to pay attention to symptoms in case it was contaminated.
What about your area?

Physics news on Phys.org
I live way too close to you for any differences :wink:

Likes fresh_42 and Sophia
In my area pets should be injected with special meds periodically to help control fleas, ticks and other body bugs or parasites as well as to prevent growth of dangerous bacteria that may harm their owners or other people when they get accidentally bitten. Personally, I am more concerned about intestinal parasitic worms since they are a lot more common in my area when food or vegetables are not well cooked or washed. I do take some antiparasitic drugs once per every 6-9 months though.

Sophia said:
In my area, there are thankfully only a few of them compared to the rest of the world. It is not uncommon to meet a bear in the woods and they sometimes visit villages to eat out of garbage bins.
You have also met a bear?! Argh! Why am I the only one who hasn't met one! *throws a tantrum then cries* :cry:

I think the most dangerous of my place are mosquitoes. It is true that most people survive them. At my place, death caused by flaviviruses is a rarity compared to the amount of population who gets infected and survives them. And it is also true that some people don't even show symptoms of being infected. No fever no nothing, their bodies take care of the virus without making a ruckus.

But still, even if most people survive, because it is something that has possibilities of killing the host (meaning that it can happen, even if probabilities are low), I'd say it is by far the most dangerous animal of my place.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Psinter said:
You have also met a bear?! Argh! Why am I the only one who hasn't met one! *throws a tantrum then cries* :cry:

I think the most dangerous of my place are mosquitoes. It is true that most people survive them. At my place, death caused by flaviviruses is a rarity compared to the amount of population who gets infected and survives them. And it is also true that some people don't even show symptoms of being infected. No fever no nothing, their bodies take care of the virus without making a ruckus.

But still, even if most people survive, because it is something that has possibilities of killing the host (meaning that it can happen, even if probabilities are low), I'd say it is by far the most dangerous animal of my place.
Lol luckily I've only seen bears in the zoo because I don't walk in the woods too often. I don't even pick mushrooms as most people here do. Mushroom picking (is picking correct word?) is considered a national sport here with a few reports of poisoning each year. But I've seen deer and does and heard a boar :-)

Mosquitoes must be so annoying! I hope you've got some good repellent!
BTW How's your spider alarm system that you mentioned before?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Psinter
Sophia said:
Lol luckily I've only seen bears in the zoo because I don't walk in the woods too often. I don't even pick mushrooms as most people here do. Mushroom picking (is picking correct word?) is considered a national sport here with a few reports of poisoning each year. But I've seen deer and does and heard a boar :-)

Mosquitoes must be so annoying! I hope you've got some good repellent!
Yes, picking is a correct word. It must be cool to pick mushrooms. You know, all this time I've been calling deers not by the name deer (in English), but by Bambi o0). (In my language I call them by their name, not bambi)

Look! A bambi!
-Me in English

I have a good repellent that says in the package it is natural. I don't believe it is that much natural, but it works.

Bambi's are not dangerous, are they? I mean deers.
Sophia said:
BTW How's your spider alarm system that you mentioned before?
It's not even in stage 1. I wanted to make that, but I don't have the money to buy the cameras. So it is just a wishful project (and it will probably stay like that for a long time). As a matter of fact, someone littered in front of my house and it makes me so mad that I can't catch who did it because I don't have for cameras. I'm 100% sure it wasn't a bear because bears don't drink energy drinks and because there are no bears in my country.

Likes Sophia
teen age drivers...

Likes davenn, 1oldman2 and CynicusRex
I live in London The only wildlife we get are foxes (LOTS of them, and they like our garden) and deer in the parks.

In the part of Sweden where I grew up there are bears and even some wolves(neither are really dangerous to people)...and lots and lots of mosquitoes

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a cougar found inside the city, and a moose wandered into a mall once, but nothing more than that. You have to drive outside the city to find any dangerous wildlife. Inside the city, however, we have Canada's worst drivers. Now that can be dangerous.

Ohio: People (obviously) are number one danger. 2 is probably dogs. This is ignoring bacteria and viruses (eg pneumonia is a great killer especially of the old...and there are a couple of food borne bacteria). Supposedly we have a rattlesnake (maybe 1 known fatality ever recorded) and in the south of the state water moccasins. Mosquitoes carry several diseases, as do ticks. I'd guess #3 is white tailed deer. They're so stupid that they hit or get hit by cars leading to traffic deaths. Maybe #4 is bee stings - which are generally only serious if you're allergic. We rarely see black bears, but they're not like the brown/grizzly bears of other places in the USA and almost never a real problem. This is just my guess, we have pretty good statistics, but I'm too lazy to look them up. Actually, I re-read this and think the bee stings might be more dangerous than deer. Malaria used to be a problem 150-200 years ago, but draining the wet-lands all but eliminated the threat long before I was born (which was a long long time ago)

Right now I live in new jersey, the worst we have is ticks, but I used to live in the woods of Pennsylvania. I've run into bears many times, there territories are quite large and several of them overlapped on my property. Seen some really big ones, but even the big ones are scaredy cats. They're only dangerous if they have cubs.

Likes Pepper Mint
Reports of bears around San Diego are uncommon and considered anomalous. The most dangerous thing that is still around is probably the rattlesnake. Coyotes are numerous. They often kill and eat people's pets, cats and dogs. The mountain lion or cougar has been seen in San Diego county, and has attacked people elsewhere in California, so it's a rare but real danger.

Also, we're right on the ocean, and the ocean has it's dangerous beasts: sharks, stingrays, jellyfish. Of these, jellyfish stings are the most common injury and shark bites the least common.

Likes Pepper Mint and Psinter
f95toli said:
I live in London The only wildlife we get are foxes (LOTS of them, and they like our garden) and deer in the parks

Same, I could set my watch by the screeching of foxes at night.

In SF we have rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and lion fish (venomous), we have boar, sharks, barracuda, alligators, black bear and panthers. Sharks and alligators are probably the most dangerous. I've only killed one 6 foot rattlesnake in 6 years on my property.

Coyotes. Not really dangerous to people but they are a real threat to pets.

Here's a picture of an urban coyote visiting a Quiznos.

wls_040307_coyote2.jpg

It was a hot day, so the cooler must have been attractive.

Likes DennisN, 1oldman2, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
6704796_G.jpg

http://www.kptv.com/story/28028812/fourth-person-attacked-by-owl-in-salem-park

Likes DennisN, 1oldman2, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
Kevin McHugh said:
In SF we have rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and lion fish (venomous), we have boar, sharks, barracuda, alligators, black bear and panthers. Sharks and alligators are probably the most dangerous. I've only killed one 6 foot rattlesnake in 6 years on my property.
Wow what an adventurous area :-) must be fun to live there except for the snakes!

Sophia said:
The most common parasite in my area (with the highest % of contamination in the country) is a tick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick They are very common and spread encephalitis and borreliosis.
We have them here in Germany as well.
Apart from that... there are a few wolves, bears are extremely rare, boars are more frequent but usually avoid contact to humans, too.
Vanadium 50 said:
Here's a picture of an urban coyote visiting a Quiznos.

It was a hot day, so the cooler must have been attractive.
I wonder if you could make it drop products out of the cooler.

Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
For parasites, mainly just ticks and mosquitoes. For dangerous animals, bears, bobcats and porcupines (porcupines are dangerous to dogs, which is all the same to me.)

Sophia said:
Wow what an adventurous area :-) must be fun to live there except for the snakes!

The wildlife where I live is stunning. I am out in the orange groves, which has the lowest population density in the state. We are home to kites, birds of prey, and this is the only place in the US you will find them. We are home to the crested cara cara, another bird of prey, one of the rarest birds in the US. Check out our swallows!
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG

Likes cnh1995, ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
How very coincidental, I just found two 3 ft alligators in my pond. I just took a pic of one, I'll post it later. My neighbor had a 6-7 footer in his pond, but it eventually moved on a couple of months ago.

My wife and I live in a small housing development out in the sticks in Western Washington State (US). The lots in our development are not quite 3 acres, much of it in trees. We regularly get deer in the yard, as well as raccoons from time to time. A couple of years ago I saw a young cougar, probably around 60 lb. I haven't seen any bears (black bears), but other people in the development have seen them a few times. There is a stream that flows through our property, and one of our neighbors took a picture of salmon in the stream.
I've seen coyotes a few times, and there are quite a few rabbits. With the stream going through the property and a detention pond that collects rainwater from the street, there are literally thousands of little frogs. This time of year they make quite a racket.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
Kevin McHugh said:
The wildlife where I live is stunning. I am out in the orange groves, which has the lowest population density in the state. We are home to kites, birds of prey, and this is the only place in the US you will find them. We are home to the crested cara cara, another bird of prey, one of the rarest birds in the US. Check out our swallows!View attachment 101273 View attachment 101273
That's amazing! That's place of my dreams. When can I come to visit you? :-)
The same question goes to @Mark44 :-)

Sophia said:
That's amazing! That's place of my dreams. When can I come to visit you? :-)
The same question goes to @Mark44 :-)
Any time you like. Seriously :cool:

Likes Sophia
Here's one of the little buggers

Attachments

• IMG_3578.JPG
    IMG_3578.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 422
Likes Sophia
Centipedes are also good friends in my area. They look horrible at first but I am told they are good to keep my house clean from cockroaches, bedbugs, silverfish etc. Plus, their venom that causes pain in bitten people can also be used to produce similar chemicals in pesticides or ointments that work as pain relievers or killers.

Mark44 said:
I've seen coyotes a few times, and there are quite a few rabbits.

Once the coyotes get established, you won't see so many rabbits.

Vanadium 50 said:
Once the coyotes get established, you won't see so many rabbits.
:frown: That makes me sad.

On the other hand I question the intelligence of this dog: (It's a gif)

I live in a large city in Canada (Toronto), so as far as parasites are concerned, the worst are ticks, mosquitoes, and the occasional black flies (out in the country in Ontario, I would expect there would be more black flies and mosquitoes, as well as ticks).

As far as dangerous animals (excluding reckless humans behind a car! :wink:), within Toronto there really aren't any, unless you consider foxes and coyotes to be dangerous (which they really aren't, given that they usually fear humans and won't approach people). Further out in the countryside, (potentially) dangerous animals in Ontario include black bears, rattlesnakes (the Massassauga rattlesnake is native to this area), grey wolves, bobcats, and the Canadian lynx.

I live in an area with ticks, mosquitoes (which are one of the most disease spreading and therefore deadliest animals to man), mountain lions, badgers, rattlesnakes, and buffalo. I've personally encountered several of these, also the occasional rabid skunk The buffalo are especially scary if they have calves, I like to give those animals lots of space.

Likes 1oldman2
Rubidium_71 said:
For parasites, mainly just ticks and mosquitoes. For dangerous animals, bears, bobcats and porcupines (porcupines are dangerous to dogs, which is all the same to me.)

I drove a grain cart while harvesting wheat one summer and saw a porcupine in Montana get sucked up by a combine. Talk about traumatic experiences...

Likes Rubidium_71
We have a few million humans around that are starting to scare the pants off me. Otherwise everything is pretty normal: black bears, coyotes, raccoons, eagles, hawks, opossum, turkey vulture, all our insects are cool except for the occasional Black Widow (but Lyme Disease-carrying ticks are appearing due to warming) and cougars who only come to town after a long hot summer to poach our pets. But I have never had a dangerous encounter with any of these animals except the humans.

Megaquark said:
I drove a grain cart while harvesting wheat one summer and saw a porcupine in Montana get sucked up by a combine. Talk about traumatic experiences...
Wanna know a neat thing about combining? While helping a farmer in Alberta harvest his wheat fields one summer, I realized that thousands of grasshoppers get sucked into the combine along with all the wheat stalks they sit on. I also noticed that grasshopper heads are almost exactly the same size as a wheat kernel. Combines are designed to separate out wheat kernels after they're done dismembering the wheat (and the grasshoppers). So guess what also comes rolling out into the wheat bin along with the kernels of wheat? Mmmmm... extra protein.