Near death experiences...got any?

by ╔(σ_σ)╝
Tags: death, experiencesgot
discrete*
Dec20-10, 08:51 PM
P: 83
Quote Quote by DBTS View Post
The first time I almost choked to death.. The second time I almost drowned to death. The third time, one of my parents hunting rifles was loaded and my brother pointed it at my head without the safety and pulled the trigger, luckily the gun jammed.
Wow. You, sir, are lucky as hell...
nismaratwork
Dec20-10, 08:53 PM
P: 2,281
Quote Quote by discrete* View Post
Wow. You, sir, are lucky as hell...
Yep, but lets be honest... not as lucky as all of the of people who haven't choked, drowned, or had a loaded rifle fired at them and survived by a misfire only. Those other people are MUCH LUCKIER.
discrete*
Dec20-10, 08:56 PM
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Ferchrissake, where do you people live??

I had some tapes stolen from my car once.
This crazy part is that I actually live and grew up in a pretty nice suburban neighborhood. But there's crazy people and drug addicts everywhere, I suppose -- you know, the kind of people that steal tapes. ;)
discrete*
Dec20-10, 08:57 PM
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
Yep, but lets be honest... not as lucky as all of the of people who haven't choked, drowned, or had a loaded rifle fired at them and survived by a misfire only. Those other people are MUCH LUCKIER.
Touché.
nismaratwork
Dec20-10, 09:14 PM
Quote Quote by discrete* View Post
Touché.
Pas de quoi, mon ami, pas de quoi.
Alex_Sanders
Dec21-10, 04:48 AM
P: 80
Quote Quote by ╔(σ_σ)╝ View Post

Not cool!

I have been robbed so many times but only once at gun point.

What did he take from you ?
Where do you live? How could you got "robbed so many times"? I know someone lives in Houston but never got robbed for even once.
Alex_Sanders
Dec21-10, 05:17 AM
P: 80
Oh yea, I just remembered someone who had one: this female person I know works in New York, and one day she found herself shaking like a mouse sitting on razor blades, she thought she caught a cold, so she decided to rise up a little bit late, as for the cold, she was gonna snap out of it.

Then she was waken by her brother's call, and was told that she might not need to go to work for sometime. Two airliners just crashed in the twin towers, where she worked.

It was quite early in the morning, so a lot senior company members didn't survive the attack, while a lot blue collars dodged the bullet.

The whole incident was quite traumatic to her, and her brother went to Iraq later (joined the military before the attack).

I also know some marines who were sent to Iraq then Afghan, but under most cases, they were shooting others so I guess that doesn't count. But if I ask them, they would likely tell me every mission is one, because they keep complaining the hmmmv being a paper coffin.
╔(σ_σ)╝
Dec21-10, 09:28 AM
P: 851
Quote Quote by Alex_Sanders View Post
Where do you live? How could you got "robbed so many times"? I know someone lives in Houston but never got robbed for even once.
I have gotten robbed in different countries. Nigeria 3 times, Canada twice and britian twice.
DaveC426913
Dec21-10, 10:31 AM
P: 15,325
I have gotten robbed in different countries. Nigeria 3 times, Canada twice and britian twice.
How does one get robbed in Canada?? Do you carry your money roll in a shirt pocket?
nismaratwork
Dec21-10, 10:37 AM
How does one get robbed in Canada?? Do you carry your money roll in a shirt pocket?
I thought robbery in Canada was paying too much tax... didn't realize they had street crime.
╔(σ_σ)╝
Dec21-10, 11:39 AM
I thought robbery in Canada was paying too much tax... didn't realize they had street crime.
The first time I got robbed was in a bad neighbourhood which is expected.

The second time I got robbed in downtown toronto a few blocks away from my school. There are a few crack heads and drugged out aboriginals around downtown.

Canada has it's own share of crime; every country does.
nismaratwork
Dec21-10, 11:42 AM

The second time I got robbed in downtown toronto a few blocks away from my school. There are a few crack heads and drugged out aboriginals around downtown.

I know man... I know DaveC does too... it was more a joke about Canada and its relative safety.
DaveC426913
Dec21-10, 11:47 AM
P: 15,325

Yeah, I just wonder if you were advertizing 'rob me'.

I suppose that's my myopia. I've lived here almost a half century, but not living downtown, so my downtown experiences were
a] during more normal hours - not a lot of late night activity like you do if you actually lived there
b] in groups and in more populated areas
c] decades ago.
nismaratwork
Dec21-10, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I just wonder if you were advertizing 'rob me'.

I suppose that's my myopia. I've lived here almost a half century, but not living downtown, so my downtown experiences were
a] during more normal hours - not a lot of late night activity like you do if you actually lived there
b] in groups and in more populated areas
c] decades ago.
I feel like I'm supposed to raise my hand and yell, "C!!!, C is the answer that is the largest contributing factor to Dave's experience!"...

...Then I feel baaaaad.
lisab
Dec21-10, 12:23 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
I feel like I'm supposed to raise my hand and yell, "C!!!, C is the answer that is the largest contributing factor to Dave's experience!"...

...Then I feel baaaaad.
Aaaahahaha...that was my reaction too....
Gokul43201
Dec21-10, 12:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
Near death experiences...got any?
Some free climbing routes I've picked in the past have had a spot or two where a fall wouldn't have been very good - I don't suppose that counts as near enough death, which is generally my plan for life (to get close enough for the challenge, but not too close). I'm hoping to make it through the coming week without a near-death experience. Will report back.
physics girl phd
Dec21-10, 01:42 PM
P: 938
I was on a Boeing 767 plane leaving Buenos Aires March 14 2005 when one of it's engines caught fire during takeoff. MY passport has the stamp crossed out with "cancellado" to prove it. When I saw the flames flare up a second time, I thought we would be toasted on my side of the plane (but held my cool and told everyone to "get your shoes on and prepare to evacuate"... since the first thing I do in an international flight is take my shoes off so my feet don't get stinky).

An incident report says there was an "engine surge" but it was really an engine fire:
On March 14, 2005, United Airlines flight 846, a Boeing B767, N656UA, experienced a left engine surge during takeoff at Ezeiza International Airport (EZE), Buenos Aires, Argentina. The flight crew aborted the takeoff and the 10 crew and 168 passengers performed an emergency evacuation. The incident is being investigated by the Junta de Investigaciones de Accidentes de Aviación Civil (JIAAC), Republic of Argentina.

The injuries were from when a few people went down the blow up ramp too fast. Yes... I did get to go down one of those blowup ramps!!!! Fun!!! (tho the hours in the nager bay before getting back to a hotel in Buenos Aires, not fun. The $100 voucher for your next flight seemed a bit low in terms of compensation too.
╔(σ_σ)╝
Dec21-10, 02:18 PM
Quote Quote by physics girl phd View Post
I was on a Boeing 767 plane leaving Buenos Aires March 14 2005 when one of it's engines caught fire during takeoff. MY passport has the stamp crossed out with "cancellado" to prove it. When I saw the flames flare up a second time, I thought we would be toasted on my side of the plane (but held my cool and told everyone to "get your shoes on and prepare to evacuate"... since the first thing I do in an international flight is take my shoes off so my feet don't get stinky).

An incident report says there was an "engine surge" but it was really an engine fire:
On March 14, 2005, United Airlines flight 846, a Boeing B767, N656UA, experienced a left engine surge during takeoff at Ezeiza International Airport (EZE), Buenos Aires, Argentina. The flight crew aborted the takeoff and the 10 crew and 168 passengers performed an emergency evacuation. The incident is being investigated by the Junta de Investigaciones de Accidentes de Aviación Civil (JIAAC), Republic of Argentina.

The injuries were from when a few people went down the blow up ramp too fast. Yes... I did get to go down one of those blowup ramps!!!! Fun!!! (tho the hours in the nager bay before getting back to a hotel in Buenos Aires, not fun. The $100 voucher for your next flight seemed a bit low in terms of compensation too.

Consider it a trip to Argentina's wonderland(Canada) with a $100 coupon:-).

Register to reply