Passed out while giving blood-recovery period?

• Medical
  • Thread starter CardboardBoxes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, the new poster experiences some dizziness after giving blood for the first time, falls unconscious, and is later evaluated by medical professionals. They are advised to take it easy for a few weeks and to avoid being too active.
CardboardBoxes
Hi,
I'm new here.. and today I got some blood taken out (for the first time.) I was giving blood to make sure I didn't have celiac disease. The doctor wanted this because I am currently having an acid reflux issue.. likely relating to a stomach ulcer.

Anyways.. since it was my first time, the nurse decided to do it while I was sitting, and not laying down. After she took my blood, she warned me not to get up so fast and she gave me Ginger Ale.
However, I was feeling particular queasy at the time, and only took a few sips. I was getting very sweaty and hot on the way out of the room, and I sat down in the waiting room. My vision started to ebb away and I eventually just passed out--with my eyes open. The thing is, I didn't know I passed out at all.. It was very confusing, I'm sitting on a chair not sure what's going on, then the nurse who took my blood out "appears" infront of me and tells me to talk to her. It sounded like everything including my own voice was off in the distance. Next thing I know, there's a like 22 people in front of me.

My brother told me that I lost all my color and the second time I passed out I turned green. Also that my eyes were very big and dilated (he couldn't see the pigmentation of my eye at all.

Anyways, I got an IV and they took a little more blood out of me while I was laying down (which was not bad at all, compared.) I also got my color back. But that's enough of my experience.

How long will I have to take it easy? I ran upstairs after I took a nap when I got home and let me tell you that was a bad decision. I almost passed out again, and I had to get a cold cloth on my neck. I really don't want to spend weeks recovering from this little ordeal.. Especially during the summer. I'm not very active as it is, but I'd like to run around if I want to.
Also, why on Earth did I turn green?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my rambling.

Biology news on Phys.org
Thread closed for Moderation...

BTW, while this thread is being dicussed by the Mentors, @CardboardBoxes -- if you still feel very bad in a couple hours, please consider calling 911 or whatever phone number is used in your area for Emergency Medical Services. And if you don't feel much better by tomorrow, please have your parents take you to the local Urgent Care facility. That is where you will be able to be evaluated by medical professionals to make sure that you get get a good diagnosis and good medical advice.

Thread closed - we cannot deal with medical issues on PF.

Likes Evo and berkeman

1. How long does it take to recover after passing out while giving blood?

The recovery period varies from person to person, but typically it takes about 10-15 minutes to fully recover after passing out while giving blood. However, it is recommended to take it easy for the rest of the day and avoid strenuous activities.

2. What are the common causes of passing out while giving blood?

The most common cause of passing out while giving blood is a drop in blood pressure. This can be due to dehydration, discomfort or anxiety, or a reaction to the needle or the blood draw itself.

3. Is it normal to feel dizzy or lightheaded after giving blood?

Feeling dizzy or lightheaded after giving blood is a common side effect and is usually temporary. It is your body's way of adjusting to the decrease in blood volume. It is important to rest and hydrate after giving blood to help alleviate these symptoms.

4. Can passing out while giving blood be dangerous?

In most cases, passing out while giving blood is not dangerous. However, if you have a history of fainting or if you experience any other concerning symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention. It is also recommended to inform the blood donation center staff if you have a history of fainting.

5. How can I prevent passing out while giving blood?

To prevent passing out while giving blood, make sure to eat a nutritious meal and drink plenty of water before your donation. It is also helpful to relax and take deep breaths during the donation process. If you have a history of fainting, you may want to inform the staff and request a reclining donation chair.