Register to reply

Abstract algebra

by Nick R
Tags: abstract, algebra
Share this thread:
Nick R
Jan1-11, 04:47 PM
P: 70
Would this be a good thing to take? More specifically, will a introduction to this shed light on/put on more solid ground many of the techniques/organizations in physics that are presented as "tricks"?

I just want to be sure it will be worth it, since i'll be taking it alongside unnecessarily hard "washout courses" that stress "test taking skill/rote" (e.g. e&m)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Vanadium 50
Jan1-11, 05:01 PM
Mentor
P: 16,316
Not particularly, but that shouldn't be a reason not to take it if you are interested.
Chaostamer
Jan1-11, 07:49 PM
P: 104
From what my friends in the Physics department tell me, abstract algebra appears time and again in the higher-level, theoretical physics courses, so it might be of some use in that regard. Further, since most abstract algebra courses seem to be proof-intensive, taking the course will help teach you to think more logically, which seems to be a pretty useful skill for Physics majors. Plus, abstract algebra is just interesting, so it would be worth taking it for that alone.

Basically, if you're interested in the material, learning it will almost certainly benefit you in some way.

Register to reply