Physics Major: Should I Take Abstract Algebra?

In summary, Abstract Algebra is used in physics and can be helpful in some upper-level courses. However, another class may be more relevant for you.
neosoul
Should I take abstract algebra. I was going to double major but I don't want to be at school for more than four years or pay for extra classes. Therefore, I decided minor in mathematics instead. I registered for abstract algebra before I decided to just minor in mathematics. I have a hard time registering for classes since the physics department hired a new adviser which is why I haven't gotten out of it yet. So, should I stay in the class? Will it be helpful for a physics major?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes its used in physics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_algebra

In physics, groups are used to represent symmetry operations, and the usage of group theory could simplify differential equations. In gauge theory, the requirement of local symmetry can be used to deduce the equations describing a system. The groups that describe those symmetries are Lie groups, and the study of Lie groups and Lie algebras reveals much about the physical system; for instance, the number of force carriers in a theory is equal to dimension of the Lie algebra, and these bosons interact with the force they mediate if the Lie algebra is nonabelian.[2]

I also took abstract algebra as a physics major, and group theory is useful in some upper-level courses. However, if possible, I believe there are other courses that are more relevant such as discrete mathematics, differential equations, and real analysis.

samnorris93 said:
I also took abstract algebra as a physics major, and group theory is useful in some upper-level courses. However, if possible, I believe there are other courses that are more relevant such as discrete mathematics, differential equations, and real analysis.

I know, but Abstract Algebra is the only math class I could get into. My school is so small that most math and physics courses only have one section each. I've been looking for reasons to stay in Abstract Algebra. I think I found a book that might help me. It's entitled "Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics" and was written by Michael Tinkham. Based on the reviews, it's very helpful for understanding the relationship behind abstract algebra and quantum mechanics.

I understand the importance of having a strong foundation in mathematics for a physics major. Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with abstract structures such as groups, rings, and fields. While it may not seem directly applicable to physics, it provides a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills that are essential for a successful career in physics.

I would highly recommend staying in the abstract algebra class, as it will be beneficial for your future as a physics major. The concepts learned in this class, such as group theory, can be applied to various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics. Additionally, having a minor in mathematics can make you a more well-rounded and competitive candidate for graduate programs or job opportunities in the field of physics.

I understand your concern about not wanting to stay in school for more than four years or pay for extra classes, but I believe the knowledge and skills gained from taking abstract algebra will be worth it in the long run. If you are struggling to register for classes due to a new advisor, I suggest reaching out to them for assistance or speaking with your academic advisor to find a solution.

In conclusion, as a physics major, taking abstract algebra will not only benefit you academically but also enhance your problem-solving skills and make you a more competitive candidate for future opportunities. I recommend staying in the class and making the most out of this opportunity to learn and grow as a physicist.

1. What is abstract algebra and how is it related to physics?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. It is used in physics to study symmetries and transformations, which are essential concepts in understanding the laws of nature.

2. Is abstract algebra a required course for a physics major?

It depends on the specific requirements of the university or program. Some physics majors may be required to take abstract algebra, while others may have the option to choose it as an elective.

3. How will taking abstract algebra benefit me as a physics major?

Studying abstract algebra can enhance your problem-solving skills, improve your understanding of mathematical concepts, and provide a foundation for more advanced topics in physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

4. Are there any specific topics in abstract algebra that are particularly relevant to physics?

Yes, some of the topics that are frequently used in physics include group theory, linear algebra, and vector spaces. These concepts are used to describe symmetries, transformations, and physical systems.

5. Is it possible to succeed in physics without taking abstract algebra?

It is possible, but taking abstract algebra can greatly benefit your understanding of physics. Many fundamental concepts in physics, such as conservation laws and symmetry, are rooted in abstract algebra. Therefore, taking the course can greatly enhance your understanding and application of these concepts.