ANDREA: Plant-based Air Purifier

by Evo
Tags: andrea, plantbased, purifier
Share this thread:
Evo
Jan11-11, 12:29 PM
Mentor
P: 26,444
This is outrageous. $200.00 for a small plastic plant pot with a tiny fan. Doesn't even include the plant. Has no air filters, nothing.

Product Description
Andrea is a revolutionary new air purifier engineered to significantly improve the air filtration capacity of natural plants. This living filter accelerates the removal of harmful VOC's and toxins through the active infrastructure system of a plant to continuously clean and oxygenate the rooms ion your home or foccie. Andrea naturally purifies air by drawing it in with a whisper quiet fan to propel it through the leaves and root system of a plant, then out through the water and soil filtration and back into the room . Works with any household plant. Ozone free operation. No replaceable filters.
$200.00

http://www.amazon.com/ANDREA-Plant-b.../dp/B002P8NZ1Q

WTH is a foccie? Is that a dyslexic office?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
JaredJames
Jan12-11, 10:20 PM
P: 3,387
I was under the impression plants weren't very efficient at this sort of thing?

The plant can only process a certain amount, sticking a fan in isn't going to make it magically process more CO2 and give you cleaner air.
Borek
Jan13-11, 02:32 AM
Admin
P: 23,369
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
I was under the impression plants weren't very efficient at this sort of thing?

The plant can only process a certain amount, sticking a fan in isn't going to make it magically process more CO2 and give you cleaner air.
That's not about just CO2. I recall reading that back in the times of the leaded petrol trees planted on the sides of the road were substantially slowing process of lead contamination of the surrounding terrain. No idea about exact mechanism. I guess that's the idea behind the device. But I agree with Evo, it sounds ridiculous.

Chronos
Jan22-11, 03:20 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,366
ANDREA: Plant-based Air Purifier

Dang plant huggers, no wonder my computer fan cost a fortune. I shudder to think what it will cost to put a catalytic converter on my grill this summer.
Evo
Jan22-11, 03:22 AM
Mentor
P: 26,444
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Dang plant huggers, no wonder my computer fan cost a fortune. I shudder to think what it will cost to put a catalytic converter on my grill this summer.

I can't believe more people haven't realized this is just a potted plant...without even the plant!!!!!
nismaratwork
Feb1-11, 06:05 AM
P: 2,284
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
That's not about just CO2. I recall reading that back in the times of the leaded petrol trees planted on the sides of the road were substantially slowing process of lead contamination of the surrounding terrain. No idea about exact mechanism. I guess that's the idea behind the device. But I agree with Evo, it sounds ridiculous.
In the case of lead from petrol fumes, it settles into the soil where it can be taken up by fast-growing, "thirsty" trees. This is done however, using their extensive root system, not their leaves for the most part. So, you're right, and you're right!
nismaratwork
Feb1-11, 06:06 AM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post

I can't believe more people haven't realized this is just a potted plant...without even the plant!!!!!
Any time I find myself in that state of incredulity you seem to be experiencing (it stinks I know)... I say two words out loud, and EVERYTHING becomes clear... and calm.

Pet. Rock.
turbo
Feb1-11, 06:13 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
Pet. Rock.
I'd rather have the rock than a house-plant in a $200 enclosure.
nismaratwork
Feb1-11, 06:19 AM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
I'd rather have the rock than a house-plant in a $200 enclosure.
Yeah, but the principle is shockingly similar. I mean, plants, AFAIK grow like weeds! So you can just fill your place with the darned things!

Rocks are also readily available, and between some pots, fans, nail polish, glue, and googly eyes... you have the makings of a fortune based on fools.

After all, the time and effort needed to produce and market pet rock was absurdly low... here you DO have a valid place to plant something, and a fan. It's a stupid concept, but it actually DOES something given the chance.

A pet rock... my god, is there ANYTHING that just screams, "kill me, I'm tired and lonely... my only friend is Rocky Balboa II... kiiiilllll mmmmeeeeee..."
JaredJames
Feb1-11, 06:24 AM
I'd prefer the rock, but for $200 I'd want it to be solid gold.
nismaratwork
Feb1-11, 06:28 AM
I'd prefer the rock, but for $200 I'd want it to be solid gold.

Will this suffice? It's not exactly a ROCK however...
JaredJames
Feb1-11, 06:35 AM
Hmm, gold coloured, glowing, inspires awe/fear in those who view it.

Yep, that would be just fine. I'll take two.
nismaratwork
Feb1-11, 06:42 AM
Hmm, gold coloured, glowing, inspires awe/fear in those who view it.

Yep, that would be just fine. I'll take two.
Well, to be fair, in the context of the show it also brings death and misery to all who hold it... and you're a nice guy. So... eh.

Register to reply